“Good location for the price”
Review of Hotel Whitcomb

Hotel Whitcomb
Ranked #182 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Before ending up at the Whitcomb I did a fair bit of research about the area and the facilities and I told my friend that it'd either be "a great deal or a horrible one". I'm glad to say that it is the former.

Most reviews I've read mentioned the homeless people around, I was only approached twice on Market Street and a short "sorry" was enough, I wasn't mobbed or anything. The hotel room itself was decent, I felt that there was enough space, and though the toilet was small, it seemed sufficient for what it's meant for (unless you were hoping for a bathtub, then you're in for a disappointment).

The Whitcomb is located just outside the Civic Centre BART station, which made it very convenient to get to from San Francisco International Airport ($8.10 as of writing). The trolley line is also just outside, and the staff were helpful in giving me directions to get around (F-line trolley to Fisherman's Wharf, $2). It is also across the road from the Orpheum Theatre, and a couple of blocks away from SF City Hall.

A real gem is how near it is to the Heart of the City Farmers' Market, which happens on Wednesdays and Sundays. I missed the market at the wharves on Saturday because I'd gone on the Angel Island/Alcatraz tour, so I was pleasantly surprised when my walkabout on Sunday morning led me to this place. Granted, as a tourist, I was limited to buying either small amount of edibles or stuff that could last a while longer, but it was still quite a sight to see.

Across the street from the hotel there are also a couple of places to eat (I didn't eat at the hotel restaurant during my stay so I can't comment on that), which is always a good thing.

I will mention that I didn't really venture out past 8pm, so I'm not qualified to say anything about that. The CRT TVs might feel ancient to some, but it hardly bothered me as most of the time I wasn't really in the hotel room watching TV (why would anyone go on vacation to watch TV anyway?). The wireless was a little off and on, though.

I arrived early for check-in so I don't really blame the hotel for only giving me towels and and toiletries the day after, and I brought my own so I didn't need to request for any. There was no kettle available to boil water, so I had to run across the street to the grocery store to pick up some bottled water, which to me was not a big deal since I'd intended on buying some for going around anyway.

For the price I got it at, it was definitely a great deal!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Bryan H
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thanks for posting your feedback about your stay with us. We are pleased to know that your experience was positive and that your enjoyed the Farmers Market across the street. That is a real unique aspect of the city. We hope to see you again in the future if you ever return to SF from Singapore.

kris Betz, Director of Operations

Reviewed 9 April 2012

The hotel was once a Grand hotel, you can tell that the moment you walk in but the 'grand days' have gone. The location is very good, just a few blocks from Union Square and within walking distance from the main cable car turntable etc. The tram stop outside takes you to the main areas such as Fishermans Warf for $2, which is great for Alcatraz. and seeing Pier 39. There are beggers around but really they don't bother you-it is just sad to see many people with mental health issues. As others have said the Starbucks in the lobby is a great idea to start your day and overall I would have been happy if the hotel had been more organized. When we arrived one of the rooms really smelt of smoke, however this is a non smoking hotel. We were moved to another room without a problem though and I felt the rooms were large but do need touching up and more attention paid to detail. My main concern was that we had fire alarms go off in the early hours twice in 3 days and had to make our own way down via an outside ladder that was very difficult to push down. I was very concerned that we saw no staff at all while the alarms were going off in the corridors or outside to help or advise and people were using the lifts. Eventually we walked back in the hotel with other guests to be told It was a false alarm both times but the Fire Service and hotel staff seemed to just accept this as 'the norm'. We did at the second request get to see the manager who was very professional and did wave our car parking charges, which are far too high $35+ tax per night, and took our complaint seriously. I do hope this hotel improves it's service because it does have alot of potential.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ian K

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Whitcomb and for posting your feedback about your stay. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. We do hope that the positive experiences you had will allow you to come back in the future for another stay.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

We would not recommend anyone unless you have a tight budget for accomodation. We thought it was historical building and we regret our choice. The room was very tiny, and we did not feel comfortable to move around in the room but to sleep only. It is located on Market street so it is pretty convienient to go around the downtown by bus. The security in this part of town seems very bad. And during our recent stay there was a crime across the road of the hotel. So it made us feel tense when coming back to our hotel at night and security guard checking our ID. The staff at Concierge was excellent - they were very helpful when asking for any information. So it is not all too bad.

Room Tip: We have no idea if there is any good room as it was very noisy when we stayed there.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jun Z

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay. We have listened to your feedback and are working to make imporvements immediately where possible. We hope that if you return to the area from Southern California you contact me directly to handle the stay. We hope we can give you a better experience next time.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

My partner and I stayed for 5 nights. Overall the hotel is nice and our room was comfortable. The starbucks in the lobby was a bonus. The hotel is very traditional, styled like it would have been back in the 1800's which was nice however the hallways where a bit dark and spooky. I wouldn't recommend eating in the hotel restaurant as the menu is limited, the food was okay but the service was poor and to be honest disappointing.

The location has its good points and bad. It's good because it's on Market street and only a few blocks from a major shopping district. Also there is a bus stop and tram stop just outside the front door of hotel which will take you straight to Fishermans Wharf for $2. The metro and 'Bart' systems are also outside the door.
The locations bad points are ... There are a great deal of homeless people in the area but we found that's the case in most big American cities. We would make sure that we were back at the hotel before dusk or we would catch a taxi. We didn't feel 100% safe after dark in the streets surrounding the hotel. Moving on ... Wireless was free but don't count on it, sometimes the connection was poor.

Overall we recommend the hotel for its price not location.

Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Peaches0016
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Dear Guest,

We would first like to thank you for taking time to post your comments about your stay. We are happy to hear that your enjoyed your stay with us. We have heard your feedback and will immediately examine the areas you mentioned.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

While the staff at the hotel are very friendly, the rooms are absolutely tiny. Clean, yes, but old. CRT tv, a closet the same size as the bathroom, a bed chair and table. We're talking 200sq/ft. Maybe.

The location is fairly central, especially with transit. But like everyone else has said, there are homeless people and thugs everywhere. There are not just a few, they really are everywhere. You don't ever feel safe.

Expedia generally offers this place at half off ~100. Still not worth it. Stay near the wharf.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank 21Seagull

Dear Guest,

We are pleased to hear that your experience with our staff was pleasant. However, we are disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your overall experience. We have heard your feedback and will immediately examine the areas you mentioned.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

We arrive. We are not greeted until the front desk person says "Next!" very impersonally 20 minutes after standing in line. We walk up to our room and the cleaning woman is in "our" room just starting to clean it. So we had to quickly drop off our bags and leave. I had no time to change because she was inside. Meanwhile the entire hotel smells musty. The hotel claims to be historic; well it definitely smelled historic.

The room was tiny. There was the bathroom, the bed, a closet and 2 feet empty space surrounding the bed and that was all. The ac/heat unit was the kind that is set into the window. The halls are filled with massive mirrows and long corridors! It seriously looked like something straight out of the shining!!! Ahh!

The location is good and bad. Let me explain. Geographically it is excellent. There is a bus stop and a Bart Subway (airport and other transportation) just steps from the front door. Many of the must see neighborhoods are not far and there are plenty of places to eat in the neighborhood. That was the good; and here's the bad: the neighborhood! The neighborhood is called Civic Center/Union Square and it is the home of hundreds of pushy homeless people looking for some change. You literally could not walk two feet without someone begging and aggressively demanding some change or food. Oh and if you are a pretty lady or are going to be with a pretty lady, be prepared for some abrasive staring and shouting in her direction. I wore my purse that wraps around my body just in case. But don't get me wrong, the neighborhood isn't dangerous or "ghetto" it's streets are just literally the home of many many homeless people.

Finally I think the only major positive thing I can say about Hotel Whitcomb is that it does not have a shared bathroom. Your bathroom is right in your room like most normal hotels not in San Francisco.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kristen M

Dear Guest,

We would first like to thank you for taking time to post your comments about your stay with us. We are dissapointed that you did not enjoy your experience. We have heard your feedback and will immediately examine the areas you mentioned.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

Not a bad Hotel for cheep and cheerful but the location was a bit too scary for me. There wasnt anywhere in or close to the Hotel to go where you could feel relaxed and safe

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends