“Great location and Friendly Staff”
Review of Hotel Whitcomb

Hotel Whitcomb
Ranked #181 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stay in this hotel because its near Bart and close to downtown. If you are looking for comfortable beds and friendly staff this is your place. You can also find Starbucks and a restaurant inside the hotel. Rates are very reasonable as compare to other close by places

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experieice with us. We really appreciate the grerat review and hope that we will see you here again in the near future.

Thanks Again.

kris Betz, Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (3,141)

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I had a last minute business trip and this hotel was the only one available at the time. This hotel is definitely past its glory days and needs renovation. For me alone it was OK but I will never stay here with family. Check in took forever and room was small with extremely small bathroom. Outside, there are lots of homeless people. The only advantage is that subway station is barely 50 yards so very easy to commute.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. We appreciate all the details you provided. We take every review seriously and do all we can to use this information to better the overlall guest experience.

Thank you.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

A few weeks ago I had the distinct pleasure of staying at the Hotel Whitcomb. I have visited the Hotel Whitcomb a number of times throughout the years [full disclosure, my Dad is the singing doorman], and I have to say that the hotel has undergone a tremendous transformation in the past few years. It has really grown into a beautiful and majestic site. The staff was wonderful to me and my guests. One aspect of the Hotel that I found particularly delightful was the beautiful, informative and educational display in the Crystal Gallery. The gallery display is one of the greatest historical collections assembled, detailing the history of some of San Francisco's greatest entertainment legends, like the Forbidden City, Kubla Khan, Jimbo's Bop City! I felt such a wonderful connection to the great pulsing heart of San Francisco at the Hotel Whitcomb. Civic Center leaves a lot to be desired in terms of neighborhood safety, but it's also the place most accessible to, well, every other place you might want to go when you're in the city!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views. But be forewarned, the elevators also have an old world charm as w...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the great review. It is nice to hear from Larry's daughter as he is a great part of the hotel charm and success. We hope that you get back to SF soon.

Thank You.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

I booked the rooms through Hotwire and was a bit apprehensive about staying here after reading a lot of mixed reviews. Overall, the hotel exceeded expectations, but I'm not sure I would make it a first choice destination.

The hotel is a slice of early-20th Century San Francisco in all its glory. It's located near city hall, the theaters and the symphony, and when you're in the hotel, you can almost feel the ghosts of a more elegant time. Not only has the lobby retained its grandeur, but the rest hasn't been renovated to match every Marriott or Hilton. That's a plus and a minus. The ceilings are gloriously high, the halls wide and elegant, and the rooms allow one to imagine what it must have been like in its heyday. But the room was small and the bathroom even tighter. The room and bathroom were clean and had most modern conveniences (including free wireless--although it was slow). But it was very hard to find an outlet and the ones that were free were so loose the plugs fell right out. With three of us and all our modern electronics, it was a bit of a pain--and made me a bit nervous from a fire safety standpoint (there were smoke detectors but not sprinklers in the rooms).

The warnings about the neighborhood should be heeded. In some ways, it's a great location--right next to a BART station (Civic Center/UN Plaza) and there is a classic trolley stop right out the front doors. But it's on the edge of the Tenderloin, and coming and going later in the evening requires your best tough city demeanor. One needs to be willing to ignore pleas for money or even to tell someone to back the heck off. As a city person, it didn't bother me too much, but I was with my inexperienced teenage niece, who is naive about urban life, so I fretted about keeping her safe. I wouldn't have wanted to do it with young children.

If you like history, don't mind a bit of fraying around the edges, and are OK with some urban grit, this would be a good value. If you want everything to look like Disney World, go somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank CoyoteLiz

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review about your stay. We are pleased to know that we exceeded you expectations and that you had a good stay. However we are disappointed that the surrounding area prevented you from having a perfect stay. We make sure that security is a high priority and will be glad to help provide transportation suggestions to any of our future guests.

Thank s Again.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Stayed for 1 night. Great Historic hotel (must see reception area!!) but location is full of homeless people. Have to walk at least 20 minutes for descent restaurant. A bit far from center. Would probably not go back in that area if returning to San Francisco.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 December 2013

My boyfriend and I recently visited this hotel for the first time in the beginning of December. We live about an hour away but decided to stay the night in the city for date night away from the kids! Upon reading some of the other reviews of this hotel I was skeptical due to the mentions of rif-raf and homeless people loitering out front of the hotel. I must say these other reviewers obviously have never been to San Francisco as there are homeless people almost everywhere. There were a few (4 or 5) hanging out across the street near a liquor store but they did not in any way bother us or appear to bothering anyone else walking by. Most importantly the room quality and spaciousness was very nice! The elevator was super slow but thats to be expected in an older hotel. The room had a decent view of the streets below and the bed was very comfortable and clean. There was plenty of space in the bathroom as well and there was a huge closet. Starbucks in the lobby is convenient as well. Great find for the city! I defintiely reccomend!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank slimmy2011
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We booked two rooms for two nights, as they were having a 50% off sale. There prices should normally be set at the 50% off rate!

Some of the front desk staff was pleasant, some were not.

My queen bed was slopped, so stay away from the 5th floor, just in case you get our room. They could accommodate us by moving our room, although we thought it might just be easier if they flipped the mattress. We ended up not moving as it seemed too much of a hassle. We had connecting rooms with our daughters.

Our blow dryer sparked and made a horrible loud noise. I let the front desk know of the potential electrocution and/or fire danger. They did not replace the blow dryer during our stay.
Our phone had the wrong room number on it (not good in an emergency).

This is an old hotel, a bit worn. Just ok. The rooms are a good size, with large walk in clothes closet and decent sized bathroom. Everything was clean.

If you can get a discounted rate, off their normal $200 a night, its worth the stay as it is located within walking distance of so many restaurants, music venues, NOPA, Hayes Valley, shopping etc. But everything is a bit of a walk, which is fun in SF as long as it isn't raining.

Would we go back. Maybe. Depends on the price.

Room Tip: Check the beds before you unpack.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family