“Bad hotel in a run-down area of town”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Whitcomb

Hotel Whitcomb
Ranked #184 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
London, United Kingdom
“Bad hotel in a run-down area of town”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

We made the mistake of allowing a 3 party to book this hotel for us as we were so busy and thought we could save some time. I'd honestly wished I'd taken the time out to do my own research on the place.

The Whitcomb hotel was sold to us a 'HIstoric Hotel of America' - 'historic' in the sense that it is in dire need of refurbishment. On entering the bedroom, there was a damp, musty smell. The room itself was dark and dingy - the lighting was far from sufficient, which seemed the case for the rest of the hotel - the corridors were really depressing and spooky. The room was small and the shower room was the size of a small cupboard!

We were supposed to stay duration of our visit in San Francisco, but couldn't bear the thought of being stuck in this hotel for 6 nights. We told a staff member at reception that we wish to check-out immediately as it wasn't what we had expected - he shrugged in nonchalant manner and couldn't even be bothered to enquire why we wanted to leave or even offer us a better room.

There are plenty of places that are of a higher standard than Hotel Whitcomb and situated better areas for the same price or if you splash out just a little bit more on the cash.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 563 - it's very small, dark and dingy with a tiny shower room and a view of a car pa...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank L K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

Inside: Tiny bathroom. Seriously, 18" between the sink and the door. A large person would not even get the door closed. Over the course of 3 days, an average of 5-6 mins waiting for an elevator to arrive... terribly annoying! Thin windows allow for lots of street noise, including construction beginning at 8am, as well as cold drafts at night.
Outside: I was afraid both for the safety of my small children as well as the security of my wallet. The air all up and down this street reeked of the smell of pot. Beggars every 5 feet, and the drivers are horribly impatient!!! Do NOT cross a street unless you have the all clear, because they WILL gun for you!! getting into and out of the hotel was made nearly impossible by the traffic, which did not allow for any parking to load/unload. Parking is in a small uncovered lot behind the hotel, for which they ask $35/day!!! I went one block over and parked in a secured, underground garage for $25/day. If I can advise, get a hotel outside of downtown and splurge a bit. Public transport in this city is one thing that is absolutely amazing, so there is no need to get a bad hotel, just on the basis of location.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am dissapointed to hear your feedback and that you did not enjoy your stay. If you would like to contact me personally to discuss further I would like the oppertunity to better understand your issues.

Thank you in advance.

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

I stayed here last month and was mortified when I started itching almost immediately upon retiring to bed. I immediately checked out and went to another hotel. I was disgusted with expedia and their lack of assistance and prolonged wait for my money to be refunded. Still not refunded. Hotel didn't want to know about it and tried to deny it - despite visibly seeing a bug. Limo driver who collected me said that it was well known to locals that they've had an ongoing problem at this hotel for some time. Suggested I also look at a bed bug site on the internet which verifies a LOT of stories about other bed bug reports. Don't recommend this hotel to anyone if the bed bugs don't get you the drug addicts and homeless people sleeping outside the hotel will.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Sophia F
Hello SofiaF,

We are disappointed to hear about your experience. Please contact me directly at the hotel to discuss this matter further. We take these reports very seriously and investigate all potential cases immediately.

Thank You.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

I stayed here as part of my Contiki Tour, and the rooms were clean with really really comfy beds. The hotel isn't in the best area of town, but is a short walk to Union Square and other things to do. The elevators are quite old and slow, and so you have to be patient when it comes to this. All in all a nice place to stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Megan C
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us. We love to get feedback from our tour groups and their passangers as they have another unique perspective on the hotel experience. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope that if you return to SF you choose us again.

Thanks

Wollongong, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

This hotel is has a very beautiful lobby, and has a very old, vintage feel about it. There are lots of elevators although they are quite slow so you wait a short time for one, but its not the worst that i've encountered. The hallways leading to the rooms are a little eyrie, being very long and quiet, but the rooms are nice, again with the vintage feel. The beds are very good! The bathroom that I got was very very small and the shower wasn't very good, but that is all I can fault. Many other reviews talk about the homeless people sitting out the front of the hotel, and theyre are homeless people there but if you walk around San Francisco you find that they homeless are everywhere and they are harmless so it is not something to fault the hotel for. It was nice and I would recommend staying there.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Whitcomb and for providing us your feedback. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the historic feel of the hotel and that you had a great overalll stay. We do hope that if you return to SF from Austrailia you will stay here again.

Thank Again.

Naas, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

We were a big group travelling to San Francisco together and all of us were put up in this hotel. It is very convenient to downtown San Francisco, but the neighbourhood is quite dodgy. I did not feel safe venturing out alone after 8pm, so we usually stuck in groups. The room itself is quite smelly (of urine) and was right opposite the ice machine (which had no door). So throughout the night there would be people using the machine,and waking me up. The hotel itself is quite dated, but it adds to its history. Very helpful staff, in giving advice and directions. Has a Starbucks in the foyer, so breakfast is never a problem. The room did not have any view, and the curtains never close - felt insecure that other guests could potentially look in to my room.

Room Tip: Avoid a room close to the ice machine or the elevator.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your stay. We appreciate all the commnets as it helps us improve our guest experience. I will be looking into all areas you mentioned to try make necessary imporvements.

Thank you Again.