“Better than ever”

Ranked #180 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Oregon
“Better than ever”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I stopped coming to the venerable a number of years ago because of the shabby facilities and the rude personnel, but my weekend here this time was fantastic. Everything was better., Room was spacious and clean. People at the front desk could not have been nicer. Some folks are uncomfortable with the neighborhood, but the homeless people are not aggressive and one can coexist with them just fine. My family an d I feel perfectly safe here. The hotel provides excellent security at night.

Room Tip: Away from Market Street if sirens and trolly cars bother you at night.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel whitecomb is a decent little hotel if you can ignore the fact it's totally got a shining vibe to it.
I stayed here for a weekend during outside lands festival. The front desk staff wasn't the most polite but it definitely was a busy weekend.
I never got to try the restaurant or bar as they closed much earlier than I was able to return from the venue. Something like 8pm.

One word of warning to smokers, the hotel security "officer green" is a rude pr**k and didn't allow me to smoke cigarettes out front by the entrance or on the roof. Instead both times he rather forcibly and boorishly made me follow him to a dingy disgusting concrete room inside the parking structure that was rather uncomfortable and a lousy smoking room.

Other than not being accommodating to smokers the hotel is nice if somewhat old and is nicely located in downtown.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Nik D
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Sadly the first impression of the Whitcomb when you get off the nearby airport shuttle is that it has been uprooted from the 1930s and transplanted into the third world. The area is literally full of beggars, drunks, junkies, and drop outs who will not hesitate to ask you for money or shout and swear at you. Many seem to be drugged up and incoherent. As soon as we arrived my young daughter was greeted by the sight of a gentleman urinating against the hoardings on the sidewalk in broad daylight and in full view of anyone who cared to look. The street is used as a toilet and it stinks like one.

All this is very sad to report because the hotel itself is ok and could be a great venue if it was located somewhere else. Although it is dated it has the air of aged decadence. Think of the corridors of the Overlook in the Shining with the kiddies in the pedal cars, and you aren't far wrong! Room was clean and tidy and TV, shower and bed all of good quality. Staff were friendly and helpful. We did not eat there but there is a Starbucks adjoining the hotel lobby which seemed full most of the time, and Sam's Diner is across the street which is first class. Lifts seem crowded so we used stairs all the time which was ok because we were only second floor. If you were dependent on lifts you might get frustrated.

2 Thank ClarissaCarp
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Already been in San Francisco 6 times and this is the only hotel I don't want to comeback!
Terrible breakfast (was it food?) smelly and noisy rooms.
Really you can have better for same or cheaper price.
The hotel wouldn't even be an hotel for the European Standards

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Luis G

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This hotel was very outdated and overpriced. When we went into our room and began changing for dinner, we saw a mouse run across the floor. We called the front desk to complain about the situation and ask for another room. While they did get us another room, they did not apologize or seem surprised whatsoever about us seeing a mouse. This hotel, while close to Union Square, was located in a very unsafe area called the Tenderloin. We did not feel safe walking to our hotel at night and ended up taking public transportation or cabbing. Overall, we did not enjoy our stay here whatsoever. We did our best to avoid being in our rooms as much as possible. I would not recommend this place to anyone!

3 Thank Sabina B
Union City, California
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Let me start out by saying the service I received from Burney was EXCELLENT! I've stayed in many hotels as my girlfriend and I travel frequently and this had to be our best stay. Not only was the hotel in a great location (food, shopping, transportation hubs) the hotel service was superb and friendly. Checking in and out was a breeze, no complications with my reservation. The rooms were clean and cozy, couldn't have asked for more at an historical hotel in the heart of San Francisco. I hope to stay here again soon, 5 stars in my book! Thank you for all your hospitality!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Daniel B
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This hotel was located about a 10 minute walk from Union Square and some great areas to shop! Unfortunately, the walk also goes through an area that seems a bit run-down, so we didn't feel entirely safe. The hotel itself is beautiful, and definitely has that classic character. The room was small, but did feel old and not shiny clean. Staying here was cost-effective, and had some good aspects, but I don't think I'd stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple