“Value for money in Downtown SFO”

City Center Inn & Suites - San Francisco
Ranked #208 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I was in SFO for a conference and this Hotel was walking distance from the conference place in SOMA. While booking it, I was quite skeptical but in the end it turned out a pretty good deal. The hotel itself is very basic and you need to go out for everything. But then you dont pay for any of those frills and get an affordable place to stay in downtown. Nice clean room, breakfast is nothing but then you walk out to Brainwash on Folsom street. And there are good number of restaurants and bars there as well. If I m going on a business trip and have work in SOMA, thats where I am staying.

Room Tip: If you are booking two room, you might wish to try their 2 bedroom.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Mani S
There are newer reviews for City Center Inn & Suites - San Francisco

Reviewed 15 November 2012

I stayed in room 111 and discovered bedbugs in the sheets, I had a friend with me and we took the bed apart to find it INFESTED with bed bugs, it was three am, we took a lighter and killed maybe 15 of the bigger buggs and put them in a napkin, I took the napkin to the front desk at a time before checkout to show them what I found and request to change rooms nothing more, the lady at the counter was extremely rude after I showed her the napkin with the 15 bedbugs, and actually had the nerve to accuse me of bringing them with me and that that was why they had the infestation. Long story short 8 days after my say in the knights inn the charged my card $200 dollars for cleaning of the bedbugs and for another night.

Room Tip: I would steer clear of this place entirely
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank Maui D
Reviewed 14 November 2012

The front desk clerk seems helpful but he does not help at all. They do non accept cash, just credit cards, and even we had 10 days reservation, he did not give us any any kind of ease.
Very important, If you are picking this hotel because of the breakfast, do not let them cheat you!!! They say continental breakfast! but is a tremendous lie! It a small cup of coffe(w no milk), instant juice and just a danish! Both my friend and I have intoleratn problems: she is diabetic and i am celiac ( cant eat gluten), we told them so, and the only respnse we had back is a 10% discount in a cafe nearby! I cant believe this is the only meal they can offer! Even a yogourth or fruit instead.
I have to say that the room cleaners are very kind and willing.
I Would not come back at all.
The room is small, but fairly clean, although when we arrived the room was so filthy that i almost wante to puke, but we told them and changed us to another clean room, but we were drustful about the cleaning, at last the room is fine.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Front desk was ok, cleaning staff were fine, but the owner of this place, does not care to take pride in ownership. Mold in the bathroom, hair dryer falling apart with electrical wires hanging out, lamp shades melted from light bulb. The most amazing thing we saw was on the front window after 2 nights, this building may cause cancer, pregnant women should not be near this place. Why didint the front desk tell us about this we dont know. Looking through other pictures people have posted on this place, the piece of paper warning about this cancer causing building is there, taped to front window.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
KnightsInnSF, General Manager at City Center Inn & Suites - San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2012

Thank you for your review, and actions were taken to fix the items you listed from your reveiw on another site, as owner we are on top of things and take lots of pride, so please do not be mistaken, as frankly, I am surprised you fail to note the new bedding, carpeting, cleanliness and a great staff!

Reviewed 3 November 2012

San Fran. is pricey. For everyone who bags on the Knights Inn for being an expensive dump... I say you'd be hard pressed to find a hotel for the same price that is going to give you luxury accommodations.
Pros:
-Comfortable bed, pillows, linens.
-Our room had new carpet and the main room looked like it was recently refurb'ed.
-Personal bathroom (not shared like some other low cost hotels).
-Close to downtown and action
Cons:
-Bathroom was sketchy
-Shower was even more sketchy
-Front counter staff is weird
-Small square footage

Would I stay there again? Good question. Hopefully by my next San Fran. trip I will be a little better off financially, and I'll spend a little more for better accommodations.

Room Tip: "check to see if the room was recently renovated"
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 October 2012 via mobile

We stayed here to be close to downtown and we didn't want to pay the price for the hotels in the city. The location was awesome and I love the SOMA area. We found a couple really cool places right around the corner from our hotel. Be prepared for lots of homeless in this area wherever you stay. They were all very nice and kept to themselves, but some corners smell really bad.

The hotel....my boyfriend said he didn't think they changed his sheets the first day he checked in because they smelled like perfume. The next day he requested new pillows and they were more than happy to replace them for us. The room is extremely small. The bathrooms are clean and decent size...shower only. Loved the old school hair dryer :) The hall ways and entrance were a little sketchy at this place. Reminds me of a live in hotel they've tried to convert to a nicer place to stay.

I gave this place a 2 because it appeared for the price there were a lot better places we could have stayed. I think for what you get it is over priced! This hotel should really be less than $100.

Oh and there is on site parking. We left our car in the lot the entire time and walked everywhere.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 12 October 2012

My friend and I were quite happy about how clean, open and flowing the hotel room was. The bedrooms and living area were spacious, and the bathroom looked modern and efficient. However, we noted that the three windows of our living area had no window coverings at all. We went to the front desk to address this and were told that they were being cleaned, that they would be replaced the next day. The next day, only one of the three windows had a blinds put in place. The other two windows remained "bare" for the remaining 4 days. Others could easily see into our room.

During our 5-night stay at the Knights Inn, between the two of us, we had to have one of our room key cards “re-keyed” at least four separate times – that is an average of a re-keying almost every day, which was quite annoying.

The cleaning staff was pretty good, but they never washed the glasses and mugs which were in the room. One day they left a can of "bed bug/dust mite" spray in the room.

The 3 of the 4 front desk staff didn’t seem to know much about how properly to handle situations which arose. One time they sent us back to our room to find out information about the room and another time when we were not given new towels, they sent us to find housekeeping to get towels. The staff should be responsible for this.

During our stay (late September), the room was a little over $300 per night (tax included), which I found excessive for the service which we were given.

I wrote a complaint letter to Knights Inn. They responded with sincere apologies and are returning a portion of my bill as a reimbursement.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends