“Worst Hotel I have ever stayed at”

City Center Inn & Suites - San Francisco
Ranked #206 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Phoenix, AZ
“Worst Hotel I have ever stayed at”
Reviewed 14 February 2005

I stay in hotels almost 200 nights a year for work and was booked at this property because the entire town was sold out for a trade show. I never stay at Ramada properties and was actually looking forward to this trip to see what a Ramada Limited was like.

The room was unquestionably the worst, most disgusting I have ever seen at any hotel, anywhere. There were huge amounts of mold growing in the shower, the bathroom had last been retiled in the 70's and had been patched since with tile that didn't even match, and the room overlooked an apartment block that looked like a crackhouse. The furniture in the room had seen better days decades earlier. As this seems unbelievable, I have attached my photos of the room.

I had to carry my bags upstairs as the place had no elevator. To make matters worse, the place is split into two buildings so the lobby is actually across the street.

The neighborhood, even during daylight hours, is filled with panhandlers and drug addicts walking the street. You can't believe the smell on the street.

I can put up with a lot, this is the first time I have ever found a room so bad that I checked out and went elsewhere. There is no way I would have stayed in that room for any sum of money.

On the plus side, the manager on duty was accommodating in my request to leave and did not charge me for the night. He claimed the rooms in the other building were better, but how in the world can any chain hotel allow a property to have rooms like this? Why take the chance of getting stuck with something like this.

I guess it will be another 10 years before I am willing to consider a Ramada again.

11 Thank PHXroadwarrior

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Czech first
New Jersey
Reviewed 9 September 2004

Stayed for two days in July 04.
This hotel is horrible.
Had bad & stinky room, horrible room service.
People are not co-operative.
Dont book rookm here, I mean it.

4 Thank Jinglebells88

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 February 2003

In Spring of '02 we drove from Phoenix area to SF and planned to spend one night half way. We were so anxious to get there that I called en route to see if we could arrive one day sooner. They eagerly accomadated us and we were thrilled when we got there at our decision. We had the 2 bedroom suite for about $100/ night. Realize that if you've never been to the bay area that space is tight all over. Well this really was a treat. There was a living area w/ sofa, kitchenette table/chairs, tv... In the hall is a fairly small bathroom. Past that was the kids' room w/ 2 beds and closet & tv. Good sized. And past that was our room. 2 more beds. Though we only used one, we gladly used the extra pillows! There was also a closet, dresser, tv, phone, table... in here. 3 tvs. ?3 telephones, 4 beds, kitchenette all for a hundred bucks. We knew it was further from the piers than many higher priced, smaller options, but we enjoyed the opportunity to use the public transportation. Kids had never seen a subway and BART was a thrill in its own right. The thing about the cramped parking and the fact that the continental breakfast was at sister property across the street were downfalls, but worth it! Depending on where you are from, it could be a bit of a culture shock. There are homeless, drug using people lining streets very near. My husband saw someone shoot up and drop a needle outside of our second story bedroom in the middle of the night. But that is a whole nother topic. I didn't see the regular rooms but for the price splurge on the suite. It is wonderful to have our own bedrooms! Take groceries as there are not nearby grocers.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 November 2002

A took a friend to San Francisco last Feb. 2002. We were on a tight budget so we just got the most reasonable rate on the web - $69/night. I did not know where 7th street was and how far the hotel was to Market Street. We did take a chance on this hotel and it was not that bad. If you're traveling alone or if you have your best friend or sister with you on a trip to San Francisco, this is an OKAY hotel.

There are two hotel buildings on the same street opposite each other. To give you a better picture, this is like a drive-in motel with three floors. One night, we had to park at the adjacent building since the space is too tight... even the rooms. When we were checking-in, I asked for an extra bed but they told me that we cannot have one in the room. It was only when we got to the room that I understood what the clerk meant - the room could only accommodate a queen size bed, TV and 2 side tables! Honestly, my bedroom is bigger. By the way, the sheets and bathroom were clean and the bathroom was well kept. That's all that matters to me in travelling.

For the price, you get the typical breakfast of pancakes, bagels, juice and fruits. We also had to cross to the next building to eat breakfast at their small cafe.

If this is your first trip to Bay Area, I would suggest that you pay $10-20 more to get a hotel near Union Square. The only disadvantage in booking a hotel there is that you have to pay for parking.

Otherwise, take advantage of the free parking, free breakfast and a tight clean space for $69 a night!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member