“great stay”

The Opal San Francisco
Ranked #103 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
“great stay”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed here for two nights with my son and overall it is an older Hotel, however the room was clean loved the soap the picked out. The front desk staff was amazing and helpful, the area was ok I walked with my son after dark and never had a problem. It is minutes from all the locations and ten dollar cab ride gets you any where you need to go if your in a hurry. Liked the airport shuttle in the morning they provided.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Jeng Chi H, General Manager at The Opal San Francisco, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear digger3113,

Thank you for your review and for your comments about our Guest Services team! We have a wonderful staff comprised of great people who take pride in the work they do. We are glad you had a great stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming you again!

Jeng Chi Hung, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Great Falls, Virginia
Reviewed 2 July 2014

First time in San Francisco, here on business with a day and a half off in the middle of my trip. I stayed in room 515. This is a great location, especially if you plan on taking advantage of public transportation. Cheryl (aka.Violet) and Sergio (Front Desk Staff) are two of the best people I have ever encountered at any class of hotel, anywhere in this great country. Just to put that into perspective, I travel 10 days to 2 weeks a month, 9 months a year for the last 5 years. I have stayed everywhere from a Motel 6 to the Gaylord National Harbor, even spent some time in an exclusive resort in Florida. I felt compelled to right a review on this place because the people who you deal with on a daily basis, can make all the difference in your trip. The place is charming, the beds are comfortable, the breakfast is free, the price in great, the people are awesome, and I will be staying here in all my future trips to San Francisco.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear JamesPooleIV,

Thank you for your review! We are so happy that Cheryl and Sergio were able to make your stay memorable! We are also happy that we made you feel compelled to write your first TripAdvisor review! I have shared your comments with the team, and everyone is thrilled!

We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to the Opal! We are glad that we have you as a loyal guest! Thank you again!

Jeng Chi Hung, General Manager
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Overall we were satisfied with the stay. Décor is a bit tired and although breakfast was included the breakfast room was way too small for the number of guests when we were there. Also did not appreciate eating breakfast off of cardboard / plastic disposable everything!
Front desk staff very helpful- nothing seemed too much trouble. Although English is my only language the staff seemed to be fully fluent in a number of other languages, Spanish as you might expect in California

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Trevor N
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel while we were on our road trip tour of the West coast with my friends. Clean and nice rooms with basic breakfast. The location is about 10 minute walk to Union Square where there are a lot of nice branded shops. Best to go during end of season, lots of sale items. Recommended to take the hop on hop off day tour for 3 days using The Sightseeing Tour company. which uses the old cable cars instead of the usual bus. Great to feel the cool air and see the sights. Must visit is Suasalito which is a Mediterranean inspired island just off the Bay area past the Golden Gate bridge. There is also a very good Japanese restaurant near this hotel called Yamasho. They have happy hour and great value sushi and sashimi. The hotel itself located in Japan area. Good choice hotel when in San Francisco.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights in the middle of June. 2014. It has his really own charme with the old interior, you feel directly at home. The best of all is the service at the front desk! They are totally helpful and competent to help in any question you might have. The breakfast room is a bit to small for the amount of people eating in the morning. But also the kitchen service for breakfast was absolutely talented, she managed to refill really soon even when there where so much people.
The room was quite, which gave a good sleep. I think all in all it's a wonderful hotel to stay for a city trip if you do not want to spend the much money other hotels want.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 27 June 2014

After booking the hotel, my partner and I read through the reviews and were a little bit skepitcal but for 3 nights we were willing to try it out. I have to say, I loved this hotel! The biggest point I should comment on is the location. Many people were saying it was in a terrible location, but in fact it wasn't. If you're a savvy traveler and have been to San Fran or other cities such as LA or NY before, you'll definitely be fine. I should mention that I am a 5"2 female and felt more than comfortable walking by myself in the area. It's on a main road and despite this, its very quiet and I slept VERY well. We traveled around SF a lot and the Opal is a lot nicer looking than most of the others and it is NOT in the tenderloin district. We took the city's hop on hop off buses and never even went through the tenderloin and we walked to Union Sq everyday. Breakfast is a lot better than I expected and the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful; some of the most helpful I have encountered on my travels. Like I said, ignore the reviews about the location being bad as the hotel is very safe, you even need to buzz or have a roomkey to get into the hotel lobby itself from the outside. I will definitely be staying at the Opal when I am back in SF :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank EmmaMila00
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed two nights in this hotel the services was excelent staff were very friendly! its a old hotel but the rooms are comfortable even they are old rooms! The restaurant Mels! its 24 hours and it has a entrance from the lobby thats very good becuase one of those night has very cold and i remember that i sat in Mels and they had CHICKEN POT PIE! GOD BLESS THEM! o was like WOW! after i eated that the cold weather was like nothing! i felt like a baby! im looking foward to return to this hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family