“Value for money”

Ranked #101 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Singapore River, Singapore
“Value for money”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Although an older hotel, we had newly refurbished room, two double beds, big enough for 2 teenagers, + M&D. Comfortable stay, interesting location. Breakfast OK but crowded Go to Tommy Joynt over road for great food & experience. Also deco movie theatre next door.
Top attractions were 1) Cable car - awesome, 2) bay cruise GG bridge + Alcatraz 3) Magician Peter Morrison (v.close to hotel) 4) Lombard st. 5) Ferry to Sausalito for lunch at Scoma's
Get 3 day Muni pass for transport - bus, cable car etc. very easy to get around
Biggest disappoint Science museum, U$125 for family of 4 - v.small, no compare to big (free) Brit museums
Also did coach trip Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Vegas - do it!!

Room Tip: Ask for newly refurbished room, some older rooms are smelly
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Dave P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 11 nights for a business trip.
It was okay to begin with, I would only stay during the evenings.
My first observation was that the breakfast selection was pretty poor but that was about it.

It just went from okay to worse.
On my last night stay, my pyjamas disappeared from my room and when I called to enquire they washed their hands off me. The next morning upon checkout, the same.
The receptionist took my email address but made no attempt whatsoever to apologise for the inconvenience.

A few weeks later, checking my credit card statement and I've been overcharged over $40 on my credit card, without receiving a receipt.
When I called from Australia, it took about 30 minutes for the receptionist to do the maths and another 30 minutes to get my email address.

Do yourself a favour, there's plenty of other hotels around the place.

Room Tip: Try to pick a room that doesn't face in to Van Ness Ave
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Reviewed 15 July 2014

The lobby was beautiful and unexpected. It was a very old building with character. We stayed 2 nights and found the room a little cramped for 4 but still very nice. Someone on our floor was smoking in their room and after we and other complained, they comped us a free day of parking. The hotel was not far from everything and only a block or so from bus, taxi and trolley. I would stay there again if I could get the room at a better price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. If not you will be looking at the wall of the building next to you. We h...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mark E
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

The lobby is cute and it is nice to know the doors to get into the hotel itself are locked unless you have a key. The room was a decent size for just two people but the carpets were stained and it was virtually impossible to sleep. You can hear everything from the streets as if you were down there on the sidewalk. Also it was incredibly hot in the rooms even with the AC and with the loud noise from outside already causing lack of sleep, opening the window wasn't an option.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Amanda H
Jeng Chi H, General Manager at The Opal San Francisco, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Dear Amanda H,

Thank you for your feedback!

We sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay with us. If you could, please contact me at jhung@theopalsf.com, and let me know the room number of the room you stayed in so that we can thoroughly investigate the issues you mentioned.

Thank you again for choosing The Opal for your visit to San Francisco. We are sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations this time around. If you give us another try on your next visit to the city, we promise it will be better.

Lakeport, California
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The Opal is an old hotel with lots of charm. The staff is friendly, welcoming, and always ready to help with your requests. The rooms are clean and well kept. The beds are comfortable. Even though it's located on two very busy streets, the rooms are quiet. One of the things that makes this hotel a gem is it's convenience. It has secure parking. Located on Geary and Van Ness, it's super easy to get anywhere in the city by bus. They serve a light, but nutritious breakfast. For larger appetites, there's Mel's Diner right next door and Tommy's Joint across the street. Both are SF landmarks in a way.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear SuzieQ1971,

Thank you for your review! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff to be welcoming and friendly. We are an older hotel, as you mentioned, but we try to make up for our lack of some of the modern amenities by giving outstanding service, and by providing a great value for our guests - such as the complimentary continental breakfast. We know our guests need fuel and energy to hike all of those San Francisco hills!

All of our team takes a huge amount of pride in our little San Francisco hotel. We may not be quite as fancy as the big names, but we try harder than anyone out there. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to the city!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I got a heck of a deal on this place, and figured, what the heck, how bad can it be? Well, the room smelled like marijuana, the desk staff was beyond rude, and the shower leaked all over the bathroom floor: my shoes were literally soaked. Great location, though, so if you just need a place to store your stuff while you hit the town, this might work. But we checked out after the first night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Brendan P,

Thank you for your feedback. It looks like your hotel stay was bad in Portland too! We apologize that we were not able to meet your expectations during your stay with us. I am sorry that you checked out with us after the first night of your trip, and hope that the next hotel you stayed in was more to your liking.

Thank you again for your review, and we hope you give us another try on your next visit to the city.

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

As a rule I only stay in 4 Star hotels/resorts however my friend and I decided to take the kids to California on a 14 day tour of the Cali coast so we had to be frugal with our hotel stays. This is hard for me but not hard for her. We were taking turns choosing and paying for hotels. She chose The Opal and I was(to say the least) not happy and Very Concerned after reading dime negative reviews. She pointed out that the reviews were from a long time ago and to read the newer reviews and I did which, yes, they were good but the price on The discount sites were so much lower than the other 3 Stars that I was Very Concerned!!!
Upon check in and throughout the stay the staff members were great. Our room
Was large and VERY CLEAN!! The beds were VERY COMFORTABLE and the bedding was soft. The towels were super soft too. (The previous few nights we stayed at a Wyndham and the towels were not.)
The free breakfast was nice too. Fresh fruit, juices, hit teas and cocoa, bagels toast, boiled eggs and great yogurt, not the cheap stuff.
They had a secure parking which was great for 2 ladies w kids coming in late at night. :-))
I would MOST Definitely stay there again!!!!
You can't be the price!!!!!

I believe they are doing everything that they can do to change their image.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank TTchristian
Jeng Chi H, General Manager at The Opal San Francisco, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear TTchristian,

Thank you for such a wonderful review of our hotel! Exceeding expectations is what we are all about!

Our team takes incredible pride in our hotel, and we strive to ensure that all of our guests have a pleasant experience while they are with us.

We are not trying to be the "cheapest" hotel on the block, but we do want our guests to feel like they are receiving a tremendous value when staying with us - which is why we provide the complimentary continental breakfast, etc.

We look forward to your next visit to The Opal! We are so glad that we have you as a loyal guest! Thank you again!