“Nice Hotel”

The Opal San Francisco
Ranked #102 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a nice hotel, located in van ness and Geary ave. 7 blocks from Union Square, good location.
This is not a 5 star place luxurious; this is just for sleep and rest, nothing special.
Rooms are clean, but the floor carpet had some nasty stains, making the room look older than it really was. Service was really good and helpful, free wi-fi included.

One thing I consider important when I am travelling is free breakfast, and Opal has a decent breakfast, which consists in (eggs, bread, yogurt, fruits, beagle, juices, and muffins).
I have read reviews of the homeless and safety of the neighborhood, let me tell you something, San Francisco has thousands of homeless and buns, you will find one in each street asking for money, you will also find also naked people walking the street or riding a bike.

Advice: Room doesn't have fridge nor microwave.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Paulie1234

Reviewed 4 August 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Opal for 5 nights. While the room was small, it was very clean and well kept. My boyfriend even ran his hand over the top shelf in the closet because we were worried after reading other reviews. There was a modern tv, plenty of outlets and lamps. The bathroom was small, with a pedestal sink and only a small shower. However for the price it was fine. The staff was friendly and accommodating. There was continental breakfast every morning was was well stocked (if not a little crowded). The hotel is right up against a grittier part of town, but if you simply stay away of your surroundings I don't think it will be a problem. However the central location was nice as we were able to walk to union square, and if we really wanted to walk to the Wharf as well.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is a very nicely furnished, old-school hotel, located centrally in San Francisco. However, even the nicer rooms won't have a fridge or microwave, and the morning breakfast will give you the heeby-jeebies if you're nervous around crowds in hot, cramped rooms. Parking is available in a gated garage, which is good, because the surrounding neighborhood is what some would most generously describe as "colorful". But it's close to a cable car line, and we found it a great location to use as home base while we used Uber to get around to places beyond walking distance.

1  Thank MFE92MFE
Reviewed 1 August 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The Area was iffy with lots of homeless. Worried at first, but hotel was kept pretty secure. The Staff was friendly and helpful. The Rooms were older but kept very clean and had Daily housekeeping with fresh towels. Nice breakfast and wine social. The free wifi was very weak.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Sheryl M
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We had to stay at a hotel for a few days even though we live in San Francisco. We'd seen the Opal many times but knew nothing about it except that it was conveniently located for our needs. We were surprised to find that, though simple and not luxurious, it was comfortable and friendly. From the number of European tourists who frequent it, it obviously suits their needs for a lodging that's clean & central with adequately furnished rooms. Americans who feel that a room that isn't large is necessarily bad should not apply! We were perfectly satisfied, and the nice breakfast included in the price was a great convenience. NB: do NOT go to Mel's, which is both overpriced and terrible, even though it adjoins the hotel. There are plenty of good places to eat nearby. And for a dive-y but interesting experience, go across the street & have a beer at the venerable Tommy's Joynt!

Room Tip: If you seek quiet, don't take a room on Van Ness.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank weirdflamingo
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed two nights at the Opal hotel. This is about our third time staying there. While the location is good that about the only positive thing I can say about the Opal Hotel. Very small room and way too much money for what you get. My wife is in a wheel chair and there are about eight steps to get into the lobby. They do have a lift elevator, but we could not get it to work. They said we would have to wait for someone from maintenance to come and turn it on for us. After waiting for about twenty minutes with nobody coming to help, I was able to get my wife up the stairs myself. Nobody came to help or assist us in any way. After getting my wife back into her wheelchair I was told we could have used a ramp in the neighboring business (Restaurant) to get into the hotel. The time before this when we stayed at the Opal, we used their private parking lot at a cost of $42.00 a night. The next day when we arrived back at the hotel after my wife's medical treatment at UCSF I found that both of the handicap parking spaces had cars already parked in them. One of the cars had a handicap placard the other did not. When I inquired at the desk for the SF police Department telephone number I was told that one of the cars in the handicap spot was the on duty Opal Hotel manager. She told me that she parked in the handicap spot because there were no other open spots in the lot. When I protested an again asked for the police departments number to have the car cited I was told that I was causing a disturbance and would have to leave the lobby area. I asked the on duty manager for the hotels main managers name and telephone. They refused to give me the managers name and again told me I was causing a disturbance. Not a good stay last time and not a good stay this time. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Room Tip: If you have a special need, stay somewhere else
3  Thank Chris J