“Good location at a great price”

The Opal San Francisco
Ranked #99 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Melbourne, Australia
“Good location at a great price”
Reviewed 19 May 2010

The room was comfortable and clean - just the right amount of space for a solo traveler. There wasn't too much noise, although I got a room on the Geary St side of the building, so I could hear some traffic noise, etc. It right near the cinemas, theatre, Mel's Diner, and the BART and not too far from the cable car either. And I got it at a great price direct from their website.
The only thing I would've liked would have been a couple of tourist brochures/guides/info to be available, like being able to buy a 3 day transit pass or something like that.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank bobby_bat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Midwest
Reviewed 9 May 2010

The Opal is a good stay without having to pay too much money. It's about a ten minute walk to Japantown and located on major bus lines. Not a lot going on in the neighborhood but that's probably why the price is a little cheaper than most. Rooms are small but clean, and staff was very friendly.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2010

I believe I paid $75/night including taxes for a two double bed "junior suite" (which was huge). The review should be considered in that light...

The location is acceptable, about half way up Van Ness. It's a little close to a seedy area with various undesirables hanging around on street corners, but it didn't seem threatening even at night. Some rooms have a delightful view of a sex show theatre across the street. There's a 24 hour diner next door that served reasonable meals, and the hotel does a continental breakfast themselves.

The room was always clean and tidied daily. Internet access was horribly slow. Reception service was so-so, some of the staff were helpful but others rather offhand. Breakfast (coffee, bagels, cereal) was served in a small room just off reception that did not seem to be big enough for the hotel, as it was always packed whatever time I turned up. Consequently breakfast service spills over into reception. There's a small gym and a self-service laundry which is handy if you're on a longer trip and need to do some washing!

Overall this is an acceptable budget choice for San Francisco...

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Los Angeles
Reviewed 17 April 2010

I too concur about the bedbugs. After a long drive up, all I wanted to do was curl up on the bed and rest. Moments after my initial plopping onto the mattress both legs began itching. Its a good thing that didn't transfer onto the under sheets or I would have checked out immediately. It is a shabby hotel at best. Don't let the hotel lobby fool you, as soon as we entered the room we were assigned, all we wanted to do was go outside to explore the city, only to find it is in one of the highest crime rated areas in the greater metropolitan San Francisco area. There was literally a bum making his home outside the "parking garage" with gated entry. I guess the rate we paid wasn't bad, but I would have gotten a better deal back home at a Motel 6. The room was dark, dank, smells of mold (I am still on the trip now) - there are cracks in the ceiling and one part of the ceiling that looks patched up after a mold leakage. There is a really strong odor of old mold in the room. And the AC makes loud noises that sounds like nails scratching on the backside of the wall. There was a rust-water stain that is fairly noticeable under the exposed sink and a burn mark under the dryer. Then there is a strange boarded off window above the toilet that leads to nowhere but blackness. It looks like something a Winchester would have designed. It is a little unnerving having to look into the mirror and seeing that window behind you wondering if a ghostly face will appear. Then the toilet flushes twice, once on your own and the other by itself (not sure why). The only comfortable place in the whole hotel was the desk near the window overlooking the slums of San Francisco, down the street btw from an adult book store.

Not my idea of a splendid vacation. Think TWICE before booking a stay here. And mine btw was a pre-paid room, and as such am HIGHLY disappointed I actually had to pay what I did for this stay. Disappointed times infinity. For those of you guests who are used to better accommodations, I'd check into an inn, or a marriott or hilton. Those are actually located in a better part of town than this place.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

CHESTER
Reviewed 14 April 2010

We stayed on one night at Opal, and despite some poor reviews was pleasantly surprised-
especially after staying in similar priced Motels.The building was old and had character with a resident pianist in Lobby as well as complimentary beverages and free luggage storage.
The room was clean and pleasant, but the biggest plus was the desk staff who let me use their phone to sort out problems with Expedia and let us stay in the lobby until the hire car arrived . All this for a family of 4 including decent breakfast for under $50.Top marks!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Arkansas
Reviewed 29 March 2010

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for five nights. The hotel staff was quite helpful and the room was great!! The room was clean along with everywhere else I saw in the hotel. The bed was confortable and the breakfast was good. There is a great BBQ place across the street at a great price. As for the area. During the day there is absolutly no issues. At night there is an increase in begger activity but no more than anywhere else I saw in SF. My wife and I never felt unsafe at this hotel. The exterior doors are locked 24 hours a day and can only be opend with a room key or by the front desk. I would stay here again in a heart beat next time I am in SF. Also it is very close to the muni system which will take you to union square and other attractions. Great Hotel for the Price!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
carmela82
Reviewed 29 March 2010

My rate was actually $100/night (other people seemed to have gotten much cheaper rates), but I wish I had gone with anything else. Definitely more of a $50/night hotel. The worst thing about it was the service--the front desk women were monumentally rude. We tried to order room service at about 1130pm from the in-hotel number listed on the hotel number list (that corresponded with a nearby diner) and no one picked up. Then I called the front desk and asked about ordering food, the woman yelled at me and told me I should call an outside number for the restaurant and that they had no obligation to ensure that the our orders were placed. I told her that, as the number was listed as '200' /in hotel number and not as an San Fran/415 phone number, so that they were obligated to provide some sort of room service. She screamed some more, sent up someone with a menu and, when I called again, told me that I would have to give them cash up front in order to get my food.
My boyfriend called again and she screamed at him and told him the same thing. Just a very rude bunch of people working there.

We also arranged with the front desk to get a car to the airport, discussed what the price would be to the Oakland airport and then the clerk went to place the order. The driver who came then proceeded to drive my boyfriend to the San Francisco Airport, which was the specific order he had received from the hotel. He barely made his flight.

Then, I noticed that there was still a hundred dollar hold on my debit card, even though my boyfriend paid for the parking. When I called to inquire, they told me I had to do the leg work to get the charge off.
Ugh, what a terrible experience---it also smells pretty bad in the rooms (we had to get a smell candle to counteract it) and the walls are thin, but i would have been willing to overlook those problems if the service had been better.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple