“Pretty good, but ask for a king room”

San Francisco Marriott Marquis
Ranked #27 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Flossmoor, Illinois
“Pretty good, but ask for a king room”
Reviewed 12 July 2013

As others have said, this is a pretty typical Marriott. My only real complaint is the size of the bed. We had a two double bed room instead of one king. My wife and I are not large people and it was a little too cozy sharing a double bed. I imagine that they can't fit two queens in the same area, as the two beds did take up a lot of space. The room was clean and fairly quiet and we were able to get a refrigerator delivered -- it would be nice to be able to request this when booking, though.

This is in a pretty good location, with lots of shopping within a short walk. We did not make it to the lounge, which boasts great views and overpriced drinks.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Eric H, Sales Department at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear BrewingRover,

Thank you so much for posting your review on TripAdvisor. During our recent room renovations we were able to add additional room types to give our guests more choices. We now have rooms with two queen size beds and rooms with one king and a sofa sleeper in addition to our king and double/double rooms.

Thanks again for your review and for choosing the San Francisco Marriott Marquis!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,058)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I arrived at 23:00 last night. There was nobody to help with my bags and no offer to show me to my room. Loud Techno Pop music was being blasting out from the lobby speakers which was completely inappropriate for, what is supposed to be, a luxury hotel largely occupied by business people attending a convention.

The eleveator is located at the end of the building resulting in a long walk to my room which is all the way down the opposite end of a freezing cold corridor. Although I have 2 key cards, neither of them will open the door to my room which means I now have to go all the way back to the lobby and stand in line for 15 minutes to get help.

When I get into my room, the view out of the window is of a service roof with trash and littered broken emtpty vodka bottles (see pics). There is almost no natural light, the wifi is $15 per day and there is not even a courtesy bottle of water in the room.

This hotel is worth no more than $100 per night, not $300. I will not be staying in a Marriott again

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank wombletrip
Dear wombletrip,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to post your review and for your valuable feedback. I was very disappointed to read that you had a poor service experience during your stay as this is not the usual high level of service Marriott and the San Francisco Marriott Marquis is known for. I will be sure to share your comments with our team and invite you to contact us directly should you wish to discuss your stay further.

Please accept our apologies we hope we can once again welcome you back to San Francisco.

The San Francisco Marriott Marquis
Rockford, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I was not impressed with this Marriott. I try to stay at Marriott when I travel for work for the rewards but this hotel turned me off. The room was boring with a horrible view. There was a homeless man defecating outside in the street. The bar food was boring and they ran out of pinot grigio after 1 glass. The front desk was very friendly and there was a starbucks in the lobby which is nice. Sometimes I think hotels that are in prime locations slack off on amenities because they can. Although I travel here for business it would be nice to have some better features in the rooms like a jacuzzi tub. Also, there is no security and no one stopped a homeless man with mental illness from using the restrooms in the bar. I didn't care so much that he used the restroom but he had to walk by the elevators to get to it and the elevators don't require a keycard to use them, so he could have gone right up and waited outside someones room. You just never know who will be dangerous and this hotel didn't take any safety precautions.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Erin M
Dear Erin M,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. We understand that guest safety is very important and I want to assure you that the hotel does indeed have a very extensive and capable security team. We typically have security stationed in our lobby and we monitor all entrances and elevator banks at all times.

Erin, I truly apologize for the discomfort you experienced and I hope we can earn you back as a valued guest.

In the Spirit of Hospitality,

The San Francisco Marriott Marquis
San Diego, California
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We stayed here two nights in June and really enjoyed it. Had a spacious room (especially for S.F.) with a gorgeous view of the city. Clean in every way with super comfortable beds. Wonderful staff. Concierge staff were so helpful. Great "home base" location close to shopping, some restaurants and transportation to get around the city. Parking was pricey at about $65/day, but there is some parking at a garage a block away that is about half that. Will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Get a city view room - worth the extra $$. Don't miss out on a drink or late night snack at the...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank AtlM0rgan
Thousand Oaks, California, United States
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stay at this Marriott quite often when we visit SF. It's our favorite location of all the Marriotts in the area. It's large and was re- done a few years ago to bring it up to date. The rooms are spacious and the staff always helpful. The one suggestion I have is to check its price compared to other Marriotts because it can vary greatly and can be on the higher end compared to the others and then, other times, drop below. It can be noisy though also due to its location. Still, a great choice!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa C
Menlo Park, CA
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed here one weekend for a convention. It's a nice hotel, staff is efficient and friendly. They gave us a free in-room refrigerator upon request. Outstanding blackout curtains, comfy beds and linens. Tons of electrical outlets to charge your portable devices. Neighborhood is a bit noisy, it's not avoidable.
Parking tip: instead of using the hotel's expensive valet parking, park a half block away in the 5th Street/Mission parking garage. Much cheaper and you can self park.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

Great location in the centre of the city and very close to union square. Very plush interior. We only had a basic room but found it to be of an excellent standard. Staff very helpful particularly the concierge. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2013