“Exceptional local friendly service in a large hotel”

San Francisco Marriott Marquis
Ranked #24 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Business & family trip. Our third time staying at this hotel. Even though part of a large hotel chain (Marriott), you feel like you're staying in a local, friendly place. I don't know how Marriott trains such an exceptionally service orientated (and friendly!) team...consistently! You can walk to everything...cable cars, gardens, Union Square (tons of shopping), Financial District, Chinatown, North Beach, tons of restaurants and convention center and even down to the wharf & Buena Vista! A bonus feature is the beautiful, historic St Patrick Church right next door. Hope to return again and again. Stayed for five nights. The maid service is exceptional and they don't skimp on the towels in your room like many other hotel chains do these days. Entire staff very, very helpful.

Room Tip: Upper towers were nice & rooms facing St Patrick's Church had beautiful views especially in...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Patti C, Executive Office at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear DR,

Thank you so much for posting a brilliant review of the San Francisco Marriott Marquis. I was honored to read you and your family have stayed with us for several of your visits to San Francisco. I appreciate your loyalty and support of Marriott when traveling. It was a pleasure to learn our location worked perfectly for your stay; our hotel has one of the premier locations to the Moscone Convention Center, and is just steps away from Union Square, fine dining and transportation. Thank you for your kind works regarding our staff of whom we are so proud. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Recently spent 7 days at this hotel and hope I never have to return. The hotel was full for which they should be grateful. The bar closed daily at 11pm. One day Housekeeping never came around, even after repeated telephone calls. Food was horrible, who has ever been served chicken thighs two days in a row? Starbucks closed early everyday. One small gift shop. Homeless and derelicts surrounding building so safety became a factor. One hour waits daily for a cab. What was good? The bell staff was wonderful!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank AnnFt_Lauderdale_FL

Dear AnnFt_Lauderdale_FL,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of the San Francisco Marriott Marquis on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your valuable comments. We are concerned by your recent experience at the San Francisco Marriott Marquis. We always strive to provide the highest quality service and accommodations, and regret to learn your visit was not on par with your expectations. We will speak to the appropriate management to correct the issues you have brought to light. We are delighted you found our bell staff to be brilliant. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the San Francisco Marriott Marquis on your next visit.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

This hotel is a perfect location for attending a convention, just a block away. Plus has great meeting space within the hotel. Appears to be recently updated rooms, mine was great. No issues with the room at all. Hotel staff was great. Many rooms have great views. Top floor is a great bar with wonderful views of the city!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Patti C, Executive Office at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear TarHeelsareBest,

Thank you for your kind words about the San Francisco Marriott Marquis. We value all comments. I was thrilled to hear you enjoyed your room and the great views which came along with it. We have indeed recently finished a “rejuvenation” on all of our guest rooms. The View Lounge located on the 39th floor has some of the most amazing views of both the bay and the City.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Pro's
Close to Moscone
Great bed and linens
Good meeting and function rooms

Con
When I checked in, the front desk staffer said "we have a great upgraded room for you with two queen beds (two beds being what I expected as kings are increasingly rare) in the highrise tower"). I was surprised when he added "How does that sound?" followed by "It's only $55 a night more. When I declined he searched the system and then said "How about that room for $35 a night more?". I explained I was traveling on business and upgrading wasn't an option. After another minute or two he told me he would make "an exception" and give me the room for the reservation price. In fairness it was a nice room, but nothing exceptional. The hotel is well maintained and the staff is personable and nice. The chambermaid was thorough and the room was very clean each evening when I returned.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Patti C, Executive Office at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Cliff N.,

Thank you for choosing the San Francisco Marriott Marquis during your visit to the Bay Area. We truly appreciate you posting your review on TripAdvisor and your valuable comments. We are sorry you experienced difficulties upon arrival with the service you received from one of our front desk associates; we usually receive positive feedback regarding the service the front desk team delivers and we are disappointed to read this was not what you experienced. We will pass on your comments to our front office management team to investigate the issues you raised.
However, we were pleased to hear you enjoyed our great location, meeting space, amenities, and the famous Marriott bedding!
Thank you once again for your valuable feedback and we hope to have the chance of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Have stayed here a few times. Beautiful lobby. Many amenities and first class service! Stunning bar/ lounge at the top called the "View Lounge" if I rememeber correctly. Location is good. Near convention center and just a few blocks from Union Square.

Room Tip: If you can get a room on an upper floor (above 30 for a great view in all directions!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Dear Lynn B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of the San Francisco Marriott Marquis on TripAdvisor. I was honored to read you have stayed with us for several of your visits to San Francisco and appreciate your loyalty and support of Marriott when traveling. It was a pleasure to learn our location worked perfectly for your stay; our hotel has one of the premier locations to the Moscone Convention Center, and is just steps away from Union Square, fine dining and transportation. I’m so glad you were able to visit our fabulous View Lounge….the name says it all!
We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

When I arrived, my room was super hot and stuffy. The Bellman apologized profusely and opened the windows to cool it down. The thermostat was off and that is why our room was so hot. The room itself was fine, nothing special.

A conference was being held at the hotel and whenever it was done for the day, the View and Bin 55 were packed full. We ate at Bin 55 one night and the food was mediocre at best. Both the burger and the filet mignon we ordered arrived lukewarm and the burger was extremely well done (I ordered it medium rare).

I am an Platinum Elite member and had access to the Concierge Lounge on the 2nd floor. Because of the conference, it was packed! One person would have Elite status and let all of his/her friends in. I think the hotel finally figured it out and one morning, a staff person was at the door checking people's room # for Elite status. A huge group in front of me tried to get in with six people and the staff member said the Elite guest could only bring in 2 people with her and they got really snotty with him (and actually, you're only allowed to bring in 1 extra person according to the Marriott site).

I had requested extra towels when I made my reservation and guess how many towels were in my room? Two. Two body towels. In most other hotels I stay at, they always put at least 4 sets of towels in the bathroom without any special requests.

James was checking me in at the front desk and was a little sketchy. I was there on a "Shop and Stay" package where they give you a $50 Visa card for staying. James mentioned my package at check in but did not offer or give me the $50 gift card. I had to ask for it and it took him forever to find it.

Too bad this hotel didn't live up to the usual Marriott service that I've come to expect from them as I live in the Bay Area and was looking for a great place to stay in the city for my weekend getaways. Clearly this Marriott isn't it.

Tips:

- Find out if a conference is happening during your stay. If so, public areas of the hotel (lobby, restaurants, lounge) will be super crowded. And if you're an Elite Member, you're highly unlikely to get an upgrade.
- Parking: Valet parking is $62 including taxes. Save yourself some $$$ and park at 5th and Mission instead for $32/day.
- Special requests? Confirm with the front desk at check in. I realize these requests are not guaranteed but they didn't acknowledge any of my requests for different pillow type, extra towels, crib, etc. Like I said, I'm a Platinum Elite member and if they don't acknowledge me then good luck to other guests who don't have status.
- Skip Bin 55, the onsite restaurant on the first floor. Food is bad and service is slow. With so many great restaurants bars just steps outside the hotel, there is no reason you should have to eat their mediocre food.
- Are you an Elite member? Don't expect any special recognition of service. They don't acknowledge or value your loyalty in any way.

2  Thank SeraphinXOXO
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My sisters and I recently spent 4 days in this Hotel and we were very pleased with the level of service and the comfy beds with down pillows. We opted to purchase the Concierge Level with includes breakfast and dinner. We were pleased that we did.The first evening we met Thomas in the Concierge Room and he was wonderful.Great job! Thomas...
We had wonderful maid service as well from Reina Garay.She is a delight and she loves what she does.
The View lounge on the 39th floor brings in people from all over the city to enjoy a cocktail and goon at the site.This view alone is a reason to stay here.You can walk to the Square on 5 minutes and don't forget to visit Macy's.

Room Tip: Ask for the High Rise rooms with the city view
5  Thank PeggyChism
Patti C, Executive Office at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear PeggyChism,

Thank you for choosing the San Francisco Marriott Marquis during your visit to the Bay Area. We truly appreciate you posting your review on TripAdvisor and your valuable comments. I was so pleased to read you and your family had a wonderful stay with us enjoying our recently
“rejuvenated” rooms, relocated and enlarged Concierge Lounge, View Lounge and our most convenient location. I will be sure to pass on your recognition of our dedicated associate Thomas. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Marquis soon.