“Great Hotel, Brilliant Location”

San Francisco Marriott Marquis
Ranked #23 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Great hotel, rooms very nice with classic furnishings. Good gym and pool area.

This hotel is extremely large,took a while to find my room.

Front desk staff extremely pleasant and helpful.

Will definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Eric H, Sales Department at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear Dougal791,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate your recognition of our excellent location, staff, service and amenities and look forward to hosting you again soon.

Until then, safe travels!

The San Francisco Marriott Marquis

Write a ReviewReviews (5,915)

Reviewed 14 April 2014

The lobby was gorgeous and the rooms were very nice. Union Square and China Town are a short walk with many great places for food. We were there in December and the whole city was decorated and beautiful. You have to go up to the top floor lounge for a drink, the view is spectacular.

Room Tip: Request a view of the bridge or city view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank et111travels
Patti C, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear et111travels,
Thank you for your 5-star review. The Holiday Season is magical in San Francisco and we are so excited you were able to experience it. It is always a pleasure to hear our guests enjoyed their stays with us. Your business is much appreciated and we certainly look forward to welcoming in December if not sooner!

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I came to San Francisco for a vacation with my boyfriend and we stayed here for three nights. All in all it was a very nice hotel stay.

The location is great. Close to Union Square, the subway (straight to the airport) and plenty of shopping choices (a couple of malls and also the high-end boutiques - they even gave me a map with all the shops on it).

My room was very nice - a large corner suite overlooking the city. It was nicely decorated, plenty of space and the bed was very comfy! The internet is pricey at $15.00/day and initially the system wouldn't let me connect but after being connected to the tech department it worked very well for the rest of my stay. Did I mention the bed was comfy...because it was!

Others have mentioned the lobby noise. It's quite something! I guess with lots of conferences and the fact that the restaurant/lounge is open to the area it's going to happen. In some ways it's kind of nice to have that sort of atmosphere but other times it's like walking through a Las Vegas casino!

I enjoyed staying at this hotel. If I could get a good rate for this place the next time I'm in San Francisco I'd consider this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Heather D.,
Thank you for your great review of the San Francisco Marriott Marquis. It was such a pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay with us. We also appreciate your honest and valuable feedback. Please know it will be passed on to our management team for review. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to the San Francisco.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 13 April 2014

- great location for Moscone conferences
- their gym is great (lots of machines)
- food court is right next door in basement of the mall(not you average food court-great food)
- BART is just around the corner for a short ride to the airport for $9
- I got a good price through the conference I attended

Dear Michael G.,
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of your recent stay at the San Francisco Marriott Marquis. We appreciate your positive comments.
I was so glad you found the hotel to be a great base for your visit to San Francisco in conjunction with your conference. Indeed our hotel has one of the premier locations to the Moscone Convention Center, and is just steps away from Union Square, fine dining and transportation. Thank you also for mentioning our fitness center, as we have just completed a “refresh,” and am happy to hear you enjoyed it. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Best regards,

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed here during one of the busiest days of the year for the hotel I think. The place was crawling with realtors as there was some sort of national realtors convention going on in the city in which I heard something like 100,000 realtor converged upon San Fran.

Check-in was relatively quick despite how busy the place was. I was given an amazing room on a very high floor with an incredible city view. My only complaint was that it took forever to get an elevator because of all of the people staying there at the time, in addition to there being some floor(s) reserved for a special event. By a long time I mean in some cases I had to wait over 10 minutes.

Regardless, as I think the waits were anomalous, the room was very clean and definitely very recently renovated - at least it felt like it. The bed was very comfortable. I had issues getting the remote control on the TV to work but the hotel staff resolved that quickly. The concierges were very knowledgeable and patient and drew out where I should go for some good eats. Another great thing about the hotel is that attached to are a number of very cool restaurants.

This is a big hotel. Check out was easy. I was happy with the stay. It was very expensive for the dates I was staying, but I can't really complain about that as this is a free market.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on an upper floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear ab3,
Thank you for your visit and for you 5-star review! On occasion, the San Francisco Marriott Marquis does host some rather large groups. It was so pleasing this did not affect the level of service you received from our hosts. Our concierge team are experts on all things San Francisco and it was delightful to see they made your stay a memorable one! We do apologize your remote for the T.V. did not work, but so glad our team was there to assist right away. We look forward to your next stay with us! We appreciate your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 12 April 2014

OK, so I attended a conference in San Fran and the conference hotel was the Marriott Marquis on Mission. To get there, you can either take a cab (about $50) or take the Super Shuttle (about $17, at the time of this review). I did the latter and it worked out great. The Marriott was the first hotel on this particular run and I saved a bunch of money taking the Shuttle.

The hotel itself is large and the lobby is extensive. When I arrived (late afternoon), there were dozens of people in the lobby and it was obvious that the hotel was quite busy (the conference I attended had 900 attendees alone). The front desk staff were very friendly and attentive, and came out to escort me to the counter, which is a nice touch.

My room was standard fare, king sized bed, which was comfortable, nice desk set-up with outlets right on the desk lamp, average sized bathroom and closet. Everything was clean and neat. Bathroom was in good condition and clean. These factors are important to me in any hotel that I stay in and the Marriott passed without problem. I didn't use the exercise facilities, so I can't comment on that. We also ate meals with the conference (which were fine), so I can't comment on the one restaurant in the hotel.

The location itself is in the middle of downtown and I had a chance to do a little exploring on foot. There are many stores and a shopping mall within walking distance, although not that many eateries.

Overall, it was a decent stay.

1  Thank tsmlink

Dear tsmlink,
Thank you for your kind review. It is such a pleasure to read, from a distinguished traveler such as yourself that you enjoyed your stay with us! Also, your alternative airport transportation tip is excellent and a convenient choice. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

If you can get a deep discount at this hotel and not pay the standard $420+ per night then you'll love this hotel. The location is ideal. Restaurants, a massive mall with food court, several movie theatres a block away, transportation options are everywhere and its an easy ride to and from the airport via BART. It's just $8.65 one way as of this writing as opposed to a $75 taxi ride.
The hotel is pleasant, kind of a typical business travelers hotel but it has everything needed and the staff are very helpful and nice. The rooms are standard. The beds and pillows are super comfortable.
Take advantage of the Target store behind the hotel on Mission. You can get snacks and inexpensive wine there. I bought a bottle of wine for $8.49 that the hotel would have charged me $40 for. If you need any toiletries or pharmaceuticals or extra clothing, Target helps!
The Concierge service here is excellent. They are very helpful and provide excellent info and discount coupons for many attractions.
I have been to San Francisco several times and this has been my best accommodations. But I wouldn't pay $420 a night. Check their website for substantial discounts. It's well worth it!

Patti C, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear kewlbrezes51,
Thank you for your 5-star review and choosing the San Francisco Marriott Marquis as your hotel of choice for your recent visit to San Francisco. It was a delight to hear you enjoyed your stay especially our location, bedding and our friendly and helpful hosts. We can’t wait to welcome you back!