“A Mediocre Grade Level Experience for a Midnight Rendezvous” 2 of 5 bubbles

San Francisco Marriott Marquis
Ranked #56 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“A Mediocre Grade Level Experience for a Midnight Rendezvous”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

My experience at Marriott Marquis has been below satisfactory, and not exemplary.

I first became aware of the service upon entering the hotel, in order to get a room. With my lover's hand in my right hand, we waited in line for 5 minutes in order to be serviced. This is a step any visitor must go through, and a level of waiting not in line with my expectations for a Marriott Marquis level hotel.

Further during this extended waiting period, I immediately became aware of the numerous amount of people who were located within the hotel lobby. This is not a discrete location, for an intimate rendezvous.

What I like is this hotel has an exquisite decor and reminds me of some of the other Marriott Marquis I have stayed in. It has excellent marble flooring, mahogany countertops and trimmings. These are elements I expect and enjoy from a Marriott Marquis hotel.

Despite the positives, there continued to be more negative and mediocre parts of the experience which influenced my stay. These are areas which should be improved.

First, upon arising the next morning, we made our way down to the breakfast location which is set on the second floor. This is confusing, given we originally expected breakfast to be served at the first floor restaurant area and caused us to make an additional trip. This type of architectural layout is not appropriate for this level of a hotel.

Second, the quality of the breakfast was mediocre. Limited variety of food and fruits were offered at the breakfast buffet. I simply expect more.

Third, housekeeping was done in a slow fashion. Our suite was usually not cleaned until the afternoon and housekeeping was only offered once a day. For a hotel of this class, I would expect twice daily housekeeping services to be offered.

In conclusion, this is a mediocre Marriott Marquis. It will become a top class hotel if the above changes are made.

The room was not as spacious as expected.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Eric H, Sales Department at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear HOTELHACKEREXPERT,

Please accept my apology for your mediocre experience. Being a Marriott Marquis located in San Francisco we want all of our guest experiences to be exemplary. I cannot thank you enough for your review and for your suggests on how we can improve, this information is incredibly valuable to our hotel.

Best Wishes,

The San Francisco Marriott Marquis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (878)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Danville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

This hotel was renovated about 2-3 years ago…It looks amazing. We have frequented this hotel many times in the past. The staff is always friendly and attentive. All the rooms are quite comfortable…from the bed to the bathroom to being able to close the curtains to block the sunlight.

The hotel has free wi-fi in the lobby but we paid one fee in the room and was able to use multiple device. The wi fi is extremely efficient…We didn't feel like we were sharing bandwidth at all..no slowing of the device…

There is a starbucks inside the hotel, but be warn, it is extremely busy in the morning!!! It was so busy that we decided to walk to the starbucks at the next block!!! No big deal..

The hotel is located across from the Metreon and there is a park/merry go around for the kids. Shopping is within 5-10 minutes walk (Nordstrom, Old Navy, Macys, Tiffany…) If you want to go to Pier 39, there are trains on Market street (down the street from the hotel)..Very convenient!!

Love this place!!! Our family will definitely come back every chance we get!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nicole94506
Patti C, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Nicole94506,
Thank you for your 5-star review! What an honor to read we have been your hotel of choice for many of your visits to San Francisco. We are so delighted you have been enjoying your stays along with so many attributes the San Francisco Marriott Marquis has to offer. We can’t wait to welcome you back!
Warm regards,
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

# Internet
* Wifi speed test was ping 21, download 12.87 Mbps, upload 11.15 Mbps
* Wired speed test was ping 1, download 84.10 Mbps, upload 95.02 Mbps
* My wifi was included, but depending on your hotel package an additional cost of 15 USD/day may be charged (wired internet is included in the hotel room rate)

# Telephone
* Hold, message retrieval, conference button, speaker, no mute

# Power
* Ample power outlets on desk and near bedside lamps.

# Work environment
* Full desk with office chair along with single fabric covered chair

# Complaints
* Very expensive
* One block away from the The Tenderloin neighbourhood where I witnessed one poor soul using a needle to inject a substance into his arm. I was approached by beggars most nights asking for food and/or money.

# Compliments
* One block away from BART. Warning thought at night time there are many homeless sleeping underground in the BART corridors
* Downtown cityscape view
* Windows open for fresh air
* Superior internet upload speeds

# Q&A
* My room rate per night: ~300 USD (included wifi)
* My floor number: 22
* Would you come back to this hotel: Yes
* Where you able to work remotely: Yes
* How many days did you stay: 3
* How many nights did you stay: 3

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Danactive,
Thank you for choosing the San Francisco Marriott Marquis for your recent visit to the City by the Bay. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your thorough feedback. We look forward to your next stay with us!
Kind regards,
Mumbai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

The location of this hotel is very convenient to travel, proximity to Market street is great to enjoy the city's attractions. Close to the Powell street BART to get out of the city. Hotel staff is great and efficient. Front desk check in and check out was breeze. Housekeeping staff - Zoila & Elaine were very efficient, courteous and friendly. Room in High rise tower had a great view. Property seems old and is great for business trips might not be the best one for leisure vacations. Though quality of rooms is quite nice.

Suggestion - Place a light inside the room wadrobe that turns on when the door opens. Too dark to see things inside the room wadrobe.

Room Tip: 1856 had a good view.
Green Features: In accordance with what most of the other hotels initiatives.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Eric H, Sales Department at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Paritosh K,

Thank you so much for choosing the San Francisco Marriott Marquis as your host. We appreciate the business and the recognition of our dedicated Housekeepers - Zoila & Elaine.

Best Wishes & Safe Travels,

Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

My husband and I have been Marriott Rewards Platinum members for five years now, which means we stay in Marriott properties at least 75 nights each year. We stayed at the San Francisco Marriott Marquis for its proximity to the Moscone Center, where his company was having their big, annual conference. Of note, we always stay in a handicap-accessible room due to my husband's disability.

I am super nit-picky about certain things. I hate to see peeling wallpaper, dinged furniture, dusty lampshades or mildewed tile grout or shower curtains in a hotel. That being said, our room at the Marriott Marquis was immaculate. I didn't see a single speck of mildew in the shower (and its white tile with white grout), a single bulging wallpaper seam, no dust, no scratches or dings on the furniture. I'm not sure when the most recent room renovations were, but the staff have taken excellent care of this property. Seriously.

I always tip the housekeeper and I sometimes leave notes requesting things (usually extra towels or laundry bags). Two different housekeepers on two different days left me thank you notes for the tips...I think one other time a housekeeper wrote "thanks" on the note I had written, which was nice. But these were three-four sentence notes thanking me for the tip and wishing me a good day. People, please...tip your housekeeper. Would YOU want to clean 15 hotel rooms every day? Its hard work and people can be really gross.

The handicap accessible room was accessible - roll-in shower, grab bars and adequate space around toilet, adequate space from entry door and around the bed. The shower had a hand held sprayer AND a regular shower head, which was much appreciated by me. We even had a partial view of the Bay Bridge and the water from our room.

The concierge lounge breakfast was more than adequate and the service was great. The view from The View lounge on the top floor was spectacular. The lobby restaurant/bar, Bin 55, was pretty good until it got super crowded.

The location is pretty great - easy access to all modes of public transportation. I would recommend going with Uber or a similar service over the taxis at the taxi stand as the two times I used them the drivers didn't know where the destinations I wanted were (and they were high ranked tourist destinations on Trip Advisor). The first driver acted like I was inconveniencing him, drove way too fast and spent most of the trip talking on his cell phone in one hand and trying to log in to his GPS or some other sort of device with the other. We did make it to my destination in a pretty straight shot, but it was not a great start to my day. My second driver just plain got lost in the Golden Gate Park trying to find the Japanese Tea Garden. He tried to drop me off at the botanical garden and then the conservatory of flowers and I finally had to pull up directions on my phone and navigate for him.

I know I gave Five Stars and our stay was truly excellent, but I do have a few minor complaints. The water pressure in the shower was pretty weak. The WiFi was so slow it was almost unusable - I'm sure this was due to all of the computer professionals in attendance for the aforementioned convention, but if we didn't get it for free for being Rewards members I would have been really ticked off about it. The bed was too soft for my liking and the extra feather bed/mattress pad thing under the sheet makes the bed too hot. In a perfect world I would sleep on a concrete slab with a mattress pad on it, so maybe other people find the bed really comfy. But if you like a firm mattress, this one is only okay. I didn't wake up sore or anything...just not my favorite hotel bed.

We plan to visit San Fran again and I would be more than happy to stay at the Marriott Marquis for future visits.

Green Features: In-room recycle bin for water bottles, etc., is terrific
1 Thank AndieTravels
Eric H, Sales Department at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear AndieTravels,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. We are proud to be on your list of one of the best Marriott Hotels. Your travel advice can't be beat and I am certain housekeepers everywhere cannot thank you enough!

We hope to see you again soon and thanks so much for your excellent review.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Great hotel, rooms very nice with classic furnishings. Good gym and pool area.

This hotel is extremely large,took a while to find my room.

Front desk staff extremely pleasant and helpful.

Will definitely return.

Dear Dougal791,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate your recognition of our excellent location, staff, service and amenities and look forward to hosting you again soon.

Until then, safe travels!

Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

The lobby was gorgeous and the rooms were very nice. Union Square and China Town are a short walk with many great places for food. We were there in December and the whole city was decorated and beautiful. You have to go up to the top floor lounge for a drink, the view is spectacular.

Room Tip: Request a view of the bridge or city view.
Green Features: Towels were changed out on request. We requested that the beds not be changed for the weekend that we stayed and the staff was good about meeting our needs.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank et111travels
Patti C, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear et111travels,
Thank you for your 5-star review. The Holiday Season is magical in San Francisco and we are so excited you were able to experience it. It is always a pleasure to hear our guests enjoyed their stays with us. Your business is much appreciated and we certainly look forward to welcoming in December if not sooner!
Warm regards,