“Great business hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Syracuse, New York
“Great business hotel”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I travel a fair amount for business, and we most often stay at Marriotts in various cities -- so that's the lens through which I'll view this hotel. Which means that if you're looking for a place to take the family on a trip, there are probably other reviews that would be more germane.

The more I stay at them, the more I enjoy Marriotts -- for business travel. The beds are (always!) comfortable. The rooms are large, clean, nicely appointed and great places to crash after long work days. The housekeepers are professional and conscientious -- and they're more than willing to provide the small touches that make all the difference in this kind of travel.

The location was very convenient, both for our business needs and for a little bit of off-hours tourism as well. Very near the financial district, a short walk to Nob Hill and Chinatown, a shorter walk to the city's historic street cars and the Powell Street terminus for two of the city's storied streetcar lines.

The Mission Grill breakfast spread is really good, though they don't do dinner. (Lunch? Don't know; was always working through lunch.) The lobby bar/restaurant menu is good, though portions are a little small and the general lobby design and layout mean that you'll be eating in a space that doesn't approach a relaxing, intimate dining experience. The food was good, though.

One of the hotel's attractions is the 39th floor -- a very nice bar with great views of the city (and beyond). Food service as well. But because the lobby bar/eatery closes at 11, the 39th floor gets (even more) crowded after that. It ends up being noisy, and crowded -- which can be fun. But it definitely wasn't a particularly relaxing space after you've been working all day.

Really like this hotel, and would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sean M
Patti C, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Sean M.,
Thank you for your wonderful review and your valuable comments. We appreciate you for becoming such a loyal Marriott guest and choosing the San Francisco Marriott Marquis for your recent visit to the Bay Area. We are so pleased to hear you will be staying with us once again when your travels bring you back to the City by the Bay and we can’t wait to welcome you back!
Kind regards,
The San Francisco Marriott Marquis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,022)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Milpitas, California
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My husband and I stayed overnight at the Marriott Marquis in celebration for my birthday. Prior to making this reservation, I had researched many hotels, and finally decided on this one. I'm so glad that I had! As soon as we pulled up to the hotel, the valet guys were extremely nice and accommodating. Checking in was smooth, and they even upgraded us to a suite!!! The room was extremely large. It was beautiful.

Then it was time to go to dinner. It was only a 5 minute walk from the hotel to eat at E&O Trading Company, and another 8 minute walk from there to check out the Metreon. This hotel is in the most ideal location. I highly recommend not driving anywhere, and walk. There was shopping, good eats, excellent bars, and 2 movie theaters! What more could you ask for?!

The bed was very comfortable. Usually, I have a difficult time sleeping in strange places, but that night, I knocked out! It was very quiet. Lovely...

Thanks, Marriott, for yet another excellent stay!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wrightkine
Dear wrightkine,
Thank you for your 5-star review! We are so delighted to hear were an “Excellent Hotel” during your birthday celebration in San Francisco. We can’t wait to have you back soon!
Best wishes,
Lund, Sweden
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We had a nice time at the Mariott hotel. It was nice rooms and friendly staff. The best thing was that the hotel was so central. We were a little disappointed in the pool area because you had to pay extra to get access to the Sauna . Otherwise we were happy with everything.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Patti C, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Maria_travel2014,
Thank you for celebrating your birthday with us and taking the time to share your kind review of the San Francisco Marriott Marquis. We are pleased to read our hosts assisted in making your day a memorable one. Although the use of the pool and fitness center is complimentary; please accept my apology the fee for using the sauna was not explained properly to you. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Warm regards,
London
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights as part of our Honeymoon. Although this is a very large, busy hotel it was still a lovely place to stay, with great service. If you're looking for a quieter, romantic hotel where you get to know the staff then perhaps not for you but we enjoyed our time here very much.
We had a room on the Concierge level, the room was nice, nothing special but clean and big enough. The added bonus of breakfast was excellent, really great selection every day and with the fruit and bottles of water to take with us when heading out we were very impressed. There were not enough tables to seat everyone the first 2 days as the hotel was clearly very busy but it didn't affect us too much.
The Location was brilliant, right in the middle of the shopping district, just down from the amazing Westfield Mall, which is literally over the road from the end of the cable car line. We used the cable cars (and shopped) every day so were very pleased to be so close.
We ate in the bar downstairs, nice food, reasonably priced, good selection and the service was also very good.
Overall we'd definitely recommend as long as you understand this is a very large, busy hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KB13AJ
Dear KB13AJ,
We would like to thank you for sharing your 5-star review of your recent stay at the San Francisco Marriott Marquis in celebration of your marriage. We are delighted to hear you and your spouse had exceptional experience with us and you were able to enjoy our services, amenities and our amazing location. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Congratulations and Best wishes,
boston
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I think hotels underestimate the importance of the check-in experience. We had just flown across country, were exhausted but happy to be in SF and the person who checked us in, Mar te, set just the right tone. I can be demanding in my requests and he met my demands with good humor and success, and sent us off to a very nice, and very quiet room, It was how a check in should be and set the tone for our stay, which we all enjoyed, and the service continued at a high level throughout our stay. Room was not big, but certainly adequate and much bigger than other hotels in the City. Lobby bar was always hopping, and location worked great for us. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank bostontodc
Dear bostontodc,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and excellent review of the San Francisco Marriott Marquis. We were thrilled to read our service was “Terrific” throughout your stay with us. We can’t wait to welcome you and your family back soon!
Kind regards,
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I am very disappointed with this property and will surely not stay here again! My partner and I travel often and regularly stay with Marriott due to the level of service we typically receive. Our stay with this property was the worst Marriott experience we have ever had! We booked through Marriott.com, we were guaranteed a King on a high floor. When we checked in I was told there we no King beds available, when I questioned this the front desk clerk amazingly found one but in the 7th floor, we took this wonderful room looking over the ac units. As we got our keys I confirmed with the agent that our Marriott rewards info was included in our reservation, he said "Oh NO you must have booked through Expedia". I advised him that no I booked directly through Marriott , I have never used Expedia, and know that I wouldn't have gotten my rewards for staying, he then tried to argue that I was wrong and gave me an explanation of the difference before realizing he made a mistake and adding my rewards, I am still not sure if I will ever get credit for my stay. We got to our room and noticed about six housekeeping carts stored outside our room, about 8 hours we kept hearing vacuums going off as someone funny kept plugging them in and running away, perhaps to remind the staff they left these things int he hall all day. We came out and found an employee whom I asked why they were still there, he literally walked away from me into the back service hall and when I tried to ask him again he said to go away and put a towel over his face. I immediately called up a manager whom made excuses for his staffs behavior, and had someone move the carts, this all being at about 1am. To spite all the fun at check in, location of room, housekeeping crap in the hallways, and the incompetent night manager we did enjoy the top floor lounge where we had an excellent server, loved the updated appearance of our room, and the location of the hotel, these are the only reason I am not leaving a 1 star rating.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Eric H, Sales Department at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Joey K,

I cannot thank you enough for your review and for you very important feedback. Please accept my sincerest apology for the level of service you received during your recent stay. It was very disappointing to read of your experience and I can assure you that this is not the high standard we try hard to achieve.

I have informed our front desk and housekeeping teams so that we can prevent this from happening again and would like to invite you to contact us directly if you have any problems receiving your Marriott Rewards.

Once again, thank you for your time and I hope you will once again consider the San Francisco Marriott Marquis.

Kind Regards,

Nashville, TN
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I just concluded a 4 night stay at the SF Marriott Marriott Our stay was perfect from our check in with wonderful Maria to the smiles from each member of the staff...Mary in the concierge was fantastic with each question that we asked....If you are looking for the best value for your money,look no farther than the SF Marriott Marquis!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the city and bay bridge!