“Solid: A Good Stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Orlando, Florida
“Solid: A Good Stay”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Had a very nice 3 night stay on our vacation in July. The hotel is huge, with 39 floors and a huge convention center. We could definitely tell that it was geared more toward business travelers- there's not much by way of 'wow' factor or uniqueness. That being said, it's still nice.

Our room on the 25th floor had a great view of Downtown and the Bay Bridge. Our room was clean and comfortable- the beds were your typical amazing Marriott beds. There was a marble bathroom with a nice shower and fluffy towels. And there were all your other standard amenities: flatscreen, desk, swivel chair, minibar, safe, the works. We found no snags during our stay.

As far as facilities go, there are a few restaurants (including a Starbucks, which is only open until 2pm) inside the hotel and a few more around the corner. On the 39th floor there's a lounge/bar with huge circular windows looking out over the city. It's nice just to go up there when you get back from a day of exploring and watch the sunset behind the fog.

The hotel is basically (but not quite) on Market Street, right near the rest of San Francisco's fancy hotels and high-end shops. Down the street is a huge mall and up the street is the Ferry Building Marketplace (for yummy breakfasts). The Powell St BART station is right across the street from the hotel, so you can get right to the airport and other Bay Area destinations. A lot of Muni busses and streetcars stop at the 4th St and Market stop, so the rest of the city is very accessible.

Overall it was a good stay and we'd certainly return. The Marquis is a nice place to come home to after a full day of trekking up and down the hills of San Francisco.

Room Tip: If you can, get a room with a view. You can open the windows for some natural air conditioning.
Green Features: Like most other hotel chains, Marriott is trying to become more eco friendly. There's the card in the bathroom that explains how you can keep your towels from being washed in order to save water.
1 Thank go4platinum
Patti C, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear go4platinum,
Thank you so much for your great review! It was pleasing to read you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay especially your clean comfy guestroom with a view, the famous Marriott bedding, amenities and our location. Thank you for highlighting the ease of using the public transportation system to see the sights of this beautiful city. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Best regards from the San Francisco Marriott Marquis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,094)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
nc
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Marriott Marquis for 8 days in July 2014. This is a great location: close to Powell Cable Car turnaround, Union Square, walking distance to Chinatown and plenty of upscale and midrange shopping. The hotel is clean and up to date with a modern flair. All staff and housekeeping were friendly and helpful. Not cheap, but very predictable in a good way. This was a great home base for travel in and around the area. There is a Hertz rental service downstairs and cars are delivered and picked up directly at the hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TheSkipperNC
Patti C, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear TheSkipperNC,
Thank you for your excellent review and choosing the San Francisco Marriott Marquis as your “Home Base!” We are thrilled your 8 day stay at the Marquis met your expectations with our fabulous hosts, updated guestrooms and ideal location. We look forward to your next stay with us.
California
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is a very nice and large hotel in a good location in San Francisco. I stayed on a friday night and checked out on saturday. I stayed in a standard king room for about $189. The hotel was just redone and looks fabulous. However, my room had some minor cometic flaws, the bedside table was missing part of the front wood (the wood panel was gone) and the mirror had a small chip in the bathroom. Minor things but thought I would mention them. The room was also dusty and needed a deep cleaning. Other than that, it was a newer modern style room with granite and new furniture. The hotel was walking distance to Union square and across the street from the Westfield mall. Meaning, all the big box stores are walking distance. Nice hotel but some domestic things, this hotel is HUGE I think 400 people checked in the same day I did.

Room Tip: Get the mid rise rooms.
1 Thank AAPLtraveler
Dear applegeek97,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate both your positive and constructive comments. We’re pleased you enjoyed our hotel, updated guestroom décor, and central location. Your comments will be shared with the appropriate department management team members. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit to San Francisco.
Kind regards from the San Francisco Marriott Marquis
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for business, and have to say it is a nice hotel, but nothing overly unique. The staff was very polite and the facility well kept. As for the room, upon entering the perfume of their cleaning supplies was very strong, so those with allergies, heads up. Overall though, a nice stay, and wouldn't hesitate to visit again.

Room Tip: Strong perfume smell from cleaning supplies can linger in room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear bmr8503,
We appreciate you choosing the Marquis for your recent business trip to San Francisco. It was such a pleasure to hear you enjoyed your stay as well as our friendly and polite hosts. The highest compliment and recommendation you can offer is noting you will visit us again and we can’t wait….come back soon!
Kind regards,
The San Francisco Marriott Marquis
los angeles
Reviewed 20 July 2014

What a find- this hotel has the perfect location. We stayed in beautiful room( corner with beautiful view of the city and looking south) and had access to everything we needed-- transportation, restaurants with fab food, great attractions and more. Anya at the desk checked us in and was perfectly wonderful. She offered us a great room, gratis Wi Fi and discounted parking due to our AARP rate on the room. Who could ask for more. All staff was courteous, helpful and responsive to our inquiries. I must say this is a return to spot for our next trip to SF.

Room Tip: Ask for corner room, high up
Green Features: eco friendly requesting guests to be sensitive to water issues
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear judyjetson,
We’re so glad you found us! Thank you for the great review and sharing your thoughts about our “perfect” location, your beautiful guestroom with a view, and wonderful hosts especially Anya. We can’t wait to welcome you back on your return visit to San Francisco.
Kind regards from the San Francisco Marriott Marquis
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I've stayed here twice before and in the past I found the service/rooms to be very nice. This time, I was surprised by a few things. 1) When I checked in, perhaps because I was from DC (?) the front desk agent decided engage me in a discussion of federal politics. After a long flight, and given his perspective on the Congress, this was the last thing I needed and I did not enjoy our chat. But I was polite and he gave me an upgrade to a nice room with a view. 2) Unfortunately as I opened the curtains to see my new view, I met the eyes of the guest whose room whose room was "catty-corner" to mine. Yikes. When I peeked out later to see if his curtains were open, I realized that with the lights on in his room, I could see right into his bathroom including whether or not he had left the seat up. Double yikes. Note to self: check view before accepting room; when I tried to move later, I was told there were no real options. 3) I came back to my room one day while housekeeping was cleaning and I saw the maid pick up a used drinking glass, wipe it out with a towel and return the glass the clean section of the glassware. This gave me no confidence in using their drinking glasses. All in all, the bed was super-comfy, the room was quiet and the windows open (a nice touch so one can feel the cool SF air). I did not hear much traffic because I was on a high floor and so I slept well. One can walk the 1.1 miles to the Ferry Building, walk up to Chinatown or Nob Hill in 5 minutes, shop in Union Square or pick up the BART or a cable car within 1-2 blocks. The location is great, but given the above, I will likely stay somewhere else next time I am in SF. Strangely, the WIFI cost $14.95 here, but was only $7.95 at the SF Airport Marriott.

Room Tip: Corner rooms seem to be a good bet, but to get a room with a view, you will need to ask to be at lea...
Green Features: They had separate containers for recycling and the usual "hang-up-your towel if you want to reuse it" policy. Otherwise, I did not see any environ-friendly practices.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear junodee,
Thank you for your comments and feedback. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your quiet guestroom, famous Marriott bedding, and ideal location, we apologize your recent stay did not live up to the high standards you have come to expect from us. Service is our priority. We appreciate and thank you for bringing these items to our attention. We take matters such as this very seriously. We will be addressing your message with our management team members for immediate corrective training. We do hope to have the honor of welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to San Francisco.
League City, Texas
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The Marriott Marquis is a very nice hotel right near Union Square and shopping in downtown San Francisco. You can walk to Macy's, Bloomingdale's and lots of other stores. There are many restaurants close by as well. Just one short block from Market Street where you can catch a trolley, bus or take BART, it is about a 10 minute walk to Chinatown. The staff was very attentive and helpful. I had requested a quiet room and we were given a corner room on the 19th floor away from the ice machine and elevators. We never had to wait long for an elevator as they were fast and plentiful. There is a rooftop lounge with beautiful views of the city on the 39th floor. We spent 3 nights there and were very satisfied with the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on a high floor away from the elevators and ice machines. Corner rooms are bri...
Green Features: They recycled everything and provided environmentally safe products.
1 Thank ssbeagle
Dear ssbeagle,
Thank you for your fabulous review and choosing the San Francisco Marriott Marquis for your getaway to the City by the Bay! We’re so pleased you took full advantage of our convenient location to enjoy all San Francisco has to offer. The View is the perfect place to relax at the days end with cocktails and bites. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Warm regards from the San Francisco Marriott Marquis