“Family vacation.”

San Francisco Marriott Marquis
Ranked #24 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 August 2010

Great location. Beautiful hotel. Wonderfully helpful staff!

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Marriott-Marquis, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2010

We would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your comments, we are so pleased to know you enjoyed your family stay with us. That you found our San Francisco Marriott Marquis hotel, as being in a Great location, Beautiful, and Lovely helpful staff. Thank you once again, and have a great day ~~

Write a ReviewReviews (5,904)

Reviewed 24 August 2010

The staff at this hotel deserves high marks for making you feel welcome. At every touch point, they respond with a pleasant word. ( Felt great after flight from east coast.) The hotel itself is fine, but not like the NY Marriott Marquis as someone said in an earlier review. Restaurant choices are limited. The View on the top level of one of the towers is very nice. Two drinks, a glass of wine and two appetizers with tip were $120.00. Breakfast was $52 for two with tip. Buffet was fine, not outstanding. The area around the hotel is not Nob HIll. Unfortunately, there are homeless people are aound the area, so you have to be a little wary. It's also not a pretty area - lots of concrete. The saving grace is a lovely park across the street, as well as good access to transportation and restaurants. Indoor pool and gym very nice. Free intenet in lobby only. For $139 a night, this was a deal. Since this is right by the convention center, check on activity before booking.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Marriott-Marquis, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2010

Greetings,

Glad to hear back regading our in house hopitality that you recieved during your stay with us. Thats fantasitc ! As for our outlets we do extend our offer and have a great happy hour perhaps on your next trip you can take advantage of our great product and special prices. Also we are in a prim location, very busy I do realize however together we do take secure measures in our area to maiantain a safe inviorment for all of our hotel guest that visit San Francisco.

Warm regards !

Reviewed 24 August 2010

As you can tell by the title I have mixed feelings about this hotel so lets start with the positives.

The rooms are nice, very roomy. We had a junior suite and it has a great sitting area, TV in the bedroom section and a TV in the sitting room. The bathroom and decor is lovely. Our first room we were given was a little umm ... like a broom cupboard. It was in the corner and the bedroom had no windows so it was dark and we were right on the level with part of the roof which makes me feel uneasy as people could break into the room via the roof .... paranoia!

However! The room had it's advantages. It was dark and quiet and perfect for our mood. We just returned from NYC so we were actually happy to have a quiet room.

The first night my husband said he could smell cigarette smoke and we opened a window and went to sleep. The next day after returning from a day out the room smelled like someone had been smoking all day. I opened a window and later that night we smelled marijuana in our room. We called the front desk and reported it and they offered to move us but at 11pm it was late and we decided to decline. The last night we returned from an early outing and the room smelled like a drug den! We were almost getting high from the pot smoke! We called the front desk and requested a room change. While we were packing up an engineer came up to the room and was shocked at the stench! We were moved without hassle and to a much nicer room with a lovely view.

The hotel is nice, large and has a Starbucks in the lobby and a restaurant serving lunch and breakfast on level 2. It also has a great health club and pool with a whirlpool. We spent a relaxing few hours in the whirlpool.

Room service is surprisingly good and reasonably priced.

The hotel is located in Union Square opposite the Old Navy store and around the corner from the new Westfield shopping Centre. It is an $11 cab fare to Fisherman's Wharf. It's perfect for those wanting to spend time in Union Square. The Imax theatre is also next door, however the Westfield cinema is cheaper and better.

Internet is super important to us and the internet was really fast, however it was not wireless and was connected with and Ethernet cable. A little annoying for 2 people and 2 laptops!

Would I stay here again? Yes .... the rooms are nice, service is great and the location is perfect.

1  Thank Bubbly_B

Thank you for your comments. Our location does offer a variety of guest rooms and we are pleased that we were able to give you a room to your liking. However we do apologize that you had experienced an odor that came into your room, we do take this seriously and are working on this problem. Lastly we are pleased to share with you that in early 2011 we plan to have wireless installed into our guest rooms. In the meantime, complimentary wireless access is available in both our lobby and chill zone work areas.

Sincerely !

Reviewed 22 August 2010

Had a 4 night stay here at the end of July. The check-in was easy and whilst the requested rollaway wasn't in the room it arrived fairly soon afterwards.
There was a rumbling noise which I was presuaded must be a train. Decided the live with it thinking that it would stop overnight. unfortunately it turned out to be the lifts and went on and on. First thing in the morning we went to reception and requested a change. The gentleman on reception was very helpful. As soon as i told him what room we were in said "lets get you out of there. The Manager is aware of the noise problem". Which begs the question why do they put anyone in rooms ending in 52 and 55?
Anyway he upgraded us to a lovely king suite with the children having the adjoining room for one night as there were no rollaways.
The children loved having a pool to use after a day of walking. We didn't eat in the restaurant so I can't comment but the kids enjoyed the sports bar next door.
I would recommend staying here especially as they will supply rollaways which not all SF hotels do.
All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. Thankyou

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank sharmst

Good day,
Thank you we understand any opportunities that may had a rose during your stay with us, and that we were able to fix the problem while you were still on property. Thank you for taking the time to inform us about the nose in your guest room. We can assure you that we will be looking into this area and plan to resolve this matter. Great to hear your over all experience with us was a great one, and that you would recommend us to others, thanks once again and have a great day !

Reviewed 17 August 2010

I stayed at the Marriott Marquis six days while attending a convention at the Moscone Convention Center just across the street. The location was excellent. Check in and checkout were fast and easy. The room was spacious, comfortable, and had all the necessary and optional amenities. Valet service was a little pricey, but was fast and reliable.
As a minor note, I would note that the concierge lounge was a little cramped for the volume of guests that used it at breakfast time. Other than that, my only other complaint is more directed at the city than at the hotel itself in the sense that it was not easy to catch a taxi cab when you needed one, whether you did it at the hotel entrance or at a street corner.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Marriott-Marquis, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2010

Thank you it was a pleasure to receive your comments regarding your stay with us at the San Francisco Marriott Marquis Hotel. As you had mentioned we are in a prime location so at times I can imagine how busy our hotel, lobby, and concierge, can be. We do apologize if you were inconvenienced while waiting for a concierge member to become available. We do value each and everyone of our guest and try to maintain a service of excellence to all. We do take note in regards to taxi cab availability and will be more aware of having the service more at hand especially during peak times. Thank you once again and it was our pleasure to have you as our valued guest.

Sincerely

Reviewed 16 August 2010

Average hotel in one of the greatest cities in the world. The low marks are for the complete inflexibility of the management about billing. I don't understand the people who complain about parking/Internet since that's well published and I was fine w the expense. But I made a mistake in my reservation booking too many days and management would not do anything about it. It was an easy change and they wouldn't help me out at all. I wasn't that mad about the money which was minor but just the horrible attitude they had.

Overall, very corporate feel to hotel. Cold lobby and bar, no intimacy. A little dated feeling as well. There are many good hotels in SF, go to one, not this one.

2  Thank brandon733
Reviewed 14 August 2010

I'll give it that this hotel is very conveniently located, and the bellhops were VERY nice and helpful but just about everything else sucked.

We pull into the valet, and I say that we just need to check in and do not wish to pay their outrageously expensive parking since we are only there for one night. I am informed that if I am parked longer than 20 minutes for check-in that they'll charge me for an hour's worth of parking (which I believe is about $20 in that place). What a great welcome. I basically dump our 6 bags and my husband with the bellhop while I go find affordable parking. The bellhop was nice at least.

Check in isn't until 4:00pm apparently? We tried to check in at 3:35pm and our room wasn't "ready". We had to wait until 4:00pm. So we sit there for 25 minutes, THEN check in, and then the ear-piercing fire alarm goes off so we cannot get to our room because the elevators are automatically shut-down. I don't hold the hotel accountable for that, but the attitude behind the desk was like this happens all the time and it's no big deal and will probably be a false alarm (which it was). Hmmm... once they confirmed it was no fire and the elevators were working again, the bellhop takes us to our room despite the fire alarm still ringing. Again, great bellhop.

We go out for the evening and then return around 1:00am and our room keys did not work. Both my husband and I kept them separate so I find it very hard that they BOTH got demagnetized. This resulted in both of us having to go back down to the front desk and get new keys. I expect a little more from a high-end hotel chain like the Marriott.

The refrigerator in our room is stacked with beverages for purchase and no space for my own beverage which I brought, so I had to remove the two rows of drinks to put my drink in. That resulted in a $75 charge of all the various beverages I removed being put onto my hotel room charge. Apparently they are all rigged on sensors, and if you remove a drink for more than 20 seconds, it goes on your bill. Nice! No warning for this was located on the fridge or anywhere in the room. I call the front desk and they say "Oh it's ok, we'll remove it". Good, that was easy enough.

Then I go to check out. Another very nice bellhop helps us take our bags down. If the only their front desk gave as good a service as the bellhops, I wouldn't be writing this scathing review. Plus, not only were those drink charges NOT removed despite my calling 3 hours earlier, but they had also added the $62 parking charge (the website says $52/day but they forget to mention they add extra surcharges and tax on that figure too). The guy behind the desk didn't even talk directly to me, he just called the valet to confirm and offered me no apologies for this inconvenience. I even had to hold up my car keys to prove that they didn't park my car because I could tell by his attitude that the did not believe me.

There are a million hotels in this town, and I'll give them all a chance before going back to this Marriott.

2  Thank DetroitDoll77