“Great hotel”

San Francisco Marriott Marquis
Ranked #22 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 December 2010

We ended up with a corner room with 180 degree views of the city. Pleasant experience. Nice workout facilities. Great bar and conference amenities. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Marriott-Marquis, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2011

Thank you so much for all of your positive comments. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope that you will visit us again in the near future.

Have a wonderful and prosperous New Year ~

Write a ReviewReviews (6,229)

Reviewed 21 December 2010

My wife and I, as we usually do, stayed at the Marriott Marquis on 4th and Powell in San Francisco, Ca from 12/9/2010 to 12/11/2010. We have stayed at this property on many occasions when I have been attending legal seminars in the city. I am a Marriott rewards member by the way.

This time however it was a lousy experience which I will not repeat. I had paid a significant amount to attend an annual legal seminar which by the way was held at the Hotel Nikko, which had a lower price. We were given room 1648 which was modest but fine. However the staff permitted its patrons to turn the room next to ours into party central.. There was shouting, fighting and screaming coming from that room, which I brought to the attention of the hotel staff on Friday night to no avail. I was only able to attend about one hour of the seminar on Saturday morning before I had to return to my room and I fell asleep for several hours as a result of not getting any sleep the night before.. I missed the balance of the day's lectures. That was bad enough, however, on Saturday night the same activity again took place in the room next to us with what sounded like a man assaulting a woman and then a party breaking out. I called twice to the front desk.. This time they had someone come up and ask the individuals to quiet down. That lasted about 15 minutes when the room once again was jammed with people, doing the very same thing they had done the night before,, I might point out that it sounded like the same group on both nights. Security, on my second call, again responded to quiet the group. This time it lasted for around 30 minutes and I gave up.. We got about 2 hours sleep that night.

Now I have a choice of hotels at my next seminar that is being held at the Marriott in Monterey, Ca beginning February 18-21st. I am not sure that I want to experience another series of sleepless nights because Marriott rents rooms to be used a party headquarters. I know that Marriott prides itself on customer relations and I thought you would like to know. I have never written a company about service related issues before..But maybe I will start now.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank gerglor

The staff at the San Francisco Marriott Marquis has reviewed your comments and we have taken the necessary steps to improve and enhance the stay of our guests. We hope that you will allow us the privilege to make this up to you and welcome you back to the Marquis in the near future.

Warm regards~

Reviewed 1 December 2010

I wouldn't stay at a hotel like this, except for the fact that it's adjacent to the Moscone Convention center, where I get to go every other year in October or November.

There's nothing WRONG with this hotel, it's a nice downtown city type of hotel. It's just not my own particular kind of place to stay (think pine trees, not asphalt).

Having said all that, the rooms were a bit less clean than I would prefer, and the price (even with discounts) is pretty stiff, but it's quiet, you get a good nights' sleep, and the staff, while hardly attentive, is not intrusive, nor rude, and is pleasantly efficient. So if you need to go to Moscone (convention center) for a week, here's your place.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Marriott-Marquis, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2010

Greetings,
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the San Francisco Marriott Marquis and we hope that you will visit us again soon!

Reviewed 15 November 2010

Stayed here for three nights while visiting friends and doing some sightseeing in San Francisco. Great location, but otherwise a little disappointing:

Pros:
- Location. Located in the heart of downtown SF. Easy to access public transit or taxis from the hotel.
- Staff. Everyone who I came across was very professional/friendly. Check in was a breeze.
- Housekeeping. The room was spotless when we arrived, and they did a good job of cleaning each day and replenishing toiletries.
- Concierge lounge, particularly the breakfast offerings, were better than some of the other properties where I've stayed recently.

Cons:
- No wireless internet. It's almost 2011...and no WIFI in the rooms. A little ridiculous since most lower priced hotels offer complimentary internet/wireless internet.
- Requested a room on a high floor. Instead given a room on level 21...hotel had 39 levels.
- Nothing really stood out about the place. Very generic/somewhat outdated rooms, nothing unique to being in San Francisco, etc.
- The hotel had some sort of bar/lounge on the top level, which probably had great views of the city. Limited hours though...this place closes very early.

One other thing...parking here is over $50/night. I can't complain about that since it is San Francisco, but you can park on your own for much less at other garages in the area. Check that out and save yourself some money if you make the mistake of having a car while staying here.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank BlueDart404
Marriott-Marquis, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2010

Greetings,
Thank you for your feedback, we are excited to inform you that are working on getting WIFI in the guestrooms and we anticipate this happening early next year. Our pricing is in line with similar properties in this area and we feel that we offer good value given our central location and extensive facilities. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 15 November 2010

As we mentioned in the title, the location of this hotel is ideal, about a block off market street, and walkable to a lot of attractions and shopping such as union square, most major department stores, and a lot of nearby restaurants. The hotel itself is mainly a conference/business hotel, and is accordingly busy with business and airline types. The hotel itself is clean, comfortable and cosy, the rooms are a little dated but well kept. The beds are very comfortable, but our room was a little loud as we were right next to the elevators.

As others have mentioned, this hotel needs to get with the times. Even at our conference rate of over $220/night plus tax (which pushes it over $250), internet costs $15/day and wireless is NOT an option. In addition, it is ridiculous that they charge on a "noon to noon" basis. If you start using it at 9AM, you don't get 24hours of internet, to use it again in the afternoon or evening would entail a 2nd internet day charge. Really, in this day and age, internet should be free, but your policies are clearly a money grab at the business crowd.

another money grab is the parking. Valet parking is $55/day. And the minibar is also incredibly stupid. The snacks and water are sitting on a sensor pad, if you move them, the system charges you automatically. Which is fine if you don't touch stuff, but the curtains are behind the desk the snacks are on, and reaching for the curtain rods knocks everything over pretty much everytime unless you're 7 feet tall. Then you have to call the front desk to cancel the charges. And don't even think about using the fridge to store your own stuff, again, everything is on sensor, if you move stuff aside or out of the fridge, you're likely to have a surprise charge on your check out. That and there's a sign stating, "your personal stuff will be discarded daily." Maybe Marriott, consider investing some of your money in wireless internet and less on useless sensor pads?

2  Thank CelineCeline
Marriott-Marquis, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2010

Thank you for your comments. We are excited to inform you that are working on getting WIFI in the guestrooms and we anticipate this happening early next year. Our pricing is in line with similar properties in this area and we feel that we offer good value given our central location and extensive facilities. However, in your case it appears we failed to meet expectations, and for that I am truly sorry.

Reviewed 13 November 2010

Had a fantastic room on the 28th floor, and despite how huge and busy this hotel is the staff were always extremely friendly and helpful. In a hotel this size, it's surprising that staff in the lobby remembered my name for the duration of my short visit there. Maybe I stand out - I don't know! :)

The rooms were great, but I was extremely disappointed with the cost of the in room Internet service (extremely expensive given the price of the rooms and the fact that this is San Francisco) and the poor mobile phone coverage up that high.

If it's in your price range, it's definitely worth staying here as it's very easy to grab the BART from the airport and it's in a good location for shopping and getting around San Francisco.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank SimonButcher

Thank you so much for all of your positive comments. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are excited to inform you that we are working on getting WIFI in the guestrooms and we anticipate this happening early next year. We hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed 11 November 2010

This hotel is down as a 4 star hotel, not what I would call 4 star it is more like a very high 3 star hotel.
The room was clean and large enough, bathroom was clean but could do with some updating.
Great location for this hotel, close to shops and market street tram station. Stayed there for 1 night. $195 plus tax may be slightly expensive for this hotel. Reception was spacious and we were welcomed very quickly and check in was done within a few mins of arriving.
I would prob stay there again if I was travelling to San Francisco

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your stay with us.
Our pricing is in line with similar properties in this area and we feel that we offer good value given our central location and extensive facilities. We hope to see you again in the near future.