“I always enjoy staying here! And free parking!”
Review of Seal Rock Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Francisco
Seal Rock Inn
Ranked #154 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
“I always enjoy staying here! And free parking!”
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here dozens of times- the rooms are clean and comfy- nice setting- safe neighborhood- and FREE PARKING in SF! Be sure and ask for the corner room on 2nd or 3rd floor for the best ocean views!

Restaurant downstairs is good- large portions

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank Saraisis17

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel is a good option for value-minded travelers. However, there is no night manager, so if something goes wrong (like an extremely loud TV next door, as happened with my brother), you are out of luck. If you call the desk you are instructed to call 911 if it's an emergency.

The coffee shop has hearty egg breakfasts, but the coffee is horrible. For a good coffee and pastry, walk to the nearby visitors center.

Stayed March 2014
6 Thank Eve T
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Seal Rock Inn is a good choice for your San Francisco visit if: you want free parking, you don't mind riding bus for an hour or so to see sights, you like nature, and you appreciate authenticity. It is a bad choice if you expect luxury. Rooms and common areas are dated and perhaps a bit shabby but clean. Bathroom was updated. Super nice desk clerk- very patient and helpful. Gorgeous location near ocean to walk and run. Adjoining restaurant is good. Pool was closed when we were there, but it was too chilly to swim and we spent most of our time in the city during the tourist things. I enjoyed the stay, will choose Seal Rock again.

Room Tip: Ocean view isn't worth a lot more $ if you are on budget ( which you probably are if you are loo...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank dler
Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed in the top-floor corner suite for a quick getaway and enjoyed the room and the premises very much. I stay in enough generic, commercialized, beige properties through travel in a year. This place has character, both internally and as part of the neighborhood. On-site cafe served a terrific breakfast. Close to Ocean Beach and Golden Gate Park. Definitely would stay there again.

Room Tip: The top-floor suite had just stunning views of the ocean.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank strude86
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I just spent a full week at Seal Rock Inn, and I was thoroughly impressed with many aspects of my experience there.

This place is Old School, in the very best sense of the term. It has a real personality, charm, aura and presence to it.

Primarily drawn to the place because I am a huge Hunter S. Thompson fan (The Good Doctor often stayed here, and finished hammering out "Fear & Loathing On The Campaign Trail" in Room 305 in 1972), I also was drawn by the natural beauty and tranquility of the location. Tucked away in the northwest corner of San Francisco, Seal Rock Inn affords guests with a short stroll down the hill to the green Sutro Heights Park, the stunning Golden Gate Park Trails, the historic Cliff House and Louis' restaurants, the Sutro Baths Ruins, and an excellent new visitor's center and gift shop. The downside is you are smack dab in the thick of the "fog belt," and other than Louis', the (super expensive) Cliff House, the in-hotel restaurant and a Walgreens six blocks uphill, there's not much in the way of food options.

Louis' closes at 5, and the Seal Rock Inn Restaurant closes at 4, but of the two, the in-hotel restaurant was a lot better, I thought. The breakfasts there were hearty and affordable, and I ate there every morning for a week. They have a lot of Mediterranean influences and Americana on their diverse and interesting menu, and it's a good value – especially for San Francisco. It's separate from the Inn itself, however, so there is nothing like room service or billing your meal to your room here.

Keep in mind here that you're as far away from downtown San Francisco as you can get. I rode the buses all week, which is not a lot of fun, especially when they get jam-packed, which was pretty much always. The 38 and 38L lines end just outside the Inn, with the opposite end being downtown (which is really overrated, in my opinion; though nearby North Beach is great). If you like being out in and near nature, this is your spot. The views of the powerful Pacific just down the hill, and the Golden Gate Bridge in the distance after a bit of hiking, are fantastic. You can even hear echoes of the Bridge's foghorn at night.

The rooms themselves are very spacious, with an eclectic, rustic, classic California motor lodge vibe to them. I personally loved my room, but I'm not a high-maintenance travel diva like many (most?) Americans today. I like room to roam, a nice bathroom, a decent size closet, and cozy beds. The beds here rocked. You even get lots of pillows. The bathroom had a very cool sort of flourescent "heat lamp" or "sauna" light in it. The only downside there was no tub.

All rooms also have a decent flat-screen TV, coffee maker, fridge and microwave oven. Again, no frills, but all the amenities you can need are here. They also give you plenty of soap, shampoo and body lotion daily. The housekeeping was great.

The staff here display an odd attitude at times, but they are generally quite helpful and sharp. I was even able to store my bags for several hours after I checked out, before heading off to the airport, which is a good hike from here also.

Overall, I loved this spot. I actually miss it a little bit. If you love nature, hiking, the ocean, the sound of birds and distant foghorns, this is the spot, man.

I can see why Hunter dug this place so much. And I'd love to return myself someday.

Room Tip: I stayed on the third floor. Enjoyed the views from up there.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
8 Thank Dylan B
San Diego
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed here in five years ago and were pleased to discover that the hotel has upgraded the rooms since we were there last. We were in a spacious room with queen bed and sofas that doubled as two twin beds. The room was really a suite, with kitchenette. There was also a folding divider/wall to separate the sleeping areas. Bathroom appeared to have been retiled etc. Our window was huge and overlooked the street corner, restaurant, and best of all, the ocean. We were there three days and enjoyed the passing parade of hikers, tourists and dog-walkers. Convenient to Cliff House, a lovely new Lands End Visitor Center, Sutro Baths ruins, Sutro Heights Park (a must-see, with scenic overlooks of Great Highway, Beach, GG Park, Cliff House.) A walk in the other direction (north) takes you to great vistas of GG Bridge. Checkin was easy and we were allowed in our room early. Friendly help at the small lobby desk. Remember that the desk closes at 11 pm so be sure you are checked in well in advance of that, and heaven forbid you should lose your room key, with no one at desk to assist. Garage parking but not always available, sometimes necessary to park on side street. Considering the prices of hotels in SF, and the lovely location, I feel that we got a lot for our money.

Room Tip: Remember that the front desk closes every evening at 11 pm.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank culdesacSanDiego
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Within 25 minutes of checking into the room, our 2 year old found a red capsule which turned out to be a muscle relaxer. Anyone want to guess at what the consequences could have been if this child had ingested this pill without anyone seeing him? The reaction from this hotel was pathetic and disgusting - They blamed their former guests for the pill in the room rather than accepting any responsibility themselves for the room not being clean. It is a shame that no one had the sense to apologize. We left. Another Poster here said that IF there is a worse hotel in San Francisco, they don't know where it is. I must wholeheartedly agree. This is the bottom of the heap!

Room Tip: Rooms are dirty, carpet sickening, windows filthy...the most helpful tip I can give is to stay elsew...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family