“You couldn't ask for much more!”

Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel
Ranked #109 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
“You couldn't ask for much more!”
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Beautiful hotel, was worried slightly because of some reoccuring concerns mentioned in the reviews here, but we had basically no problems.

Checkin was fast and staff were unbelievably helpful, we're used to American customer service being great but it was very noticeably good here. Margarita at the checkin desk along with others helped with any questions, told us the best way to get to the Golden Gate Bridge (would recommend a hop on hop off bus, taxis will take you there but there won't be any at the other side to pick you up) and informed us about the tram system for getting around the city (efficient and MUCH less expensive than the cable car).

Our room was on the first floor. I don't know whether it was refurbished or not but it was absolutely perfect. Beds are big enough for two to sleep in easily, and the Sheraton Sleeper mattresses are WOW-you will never have a better night's sleep. Bathroom is small but clean and pretty, bath and shower are big enough for adults. Plenty of towels and fresh toiletries every day; housekeeping was fantastic and very reliable. Not much storage space, a closet and three drawers isn't enough for four people to keep all their clothes but it wasn't an issue for us. There's a TV, a coffee machine with Starbucks coffee that my mum adored, and we had a small patio with a table and a few chairs overlooking the pool (unfortunately no way to get to the pool from the patio though). It was simplistic, spotless and beautiful, exactly as we wanted it. Who wants the room to be anything more, when you're out all day seeing the sights?

Location is BRILLIANT. IHOP is across the road for a convenient, great breakfast (chain or no chain, we adored it there) and very nearby is a tram stop which will take you to Union Square (clothes shops galore) and Chinatown, the stop for tour buses, Pier 39 about a minute's walk away, and Fisherman's Wharf close by.

You can walk to Hollywood Café, a gorgeous breakfast hole-in-the-wall nearby; there are plenty of restaurants and cafés in the area (would recommend Bubba Gump and Fog Harbor in Pier 39, Blue Mermaid on the wharf, Boudin's Bakeries all around the city) so food isn't a problem. We didn't have a single bad meal, although you might want to look around for bargains. If you want food in the hotel, the only option is Spressi, a chic but RIDICULOUSLY overpriced mini shop in the corner of the lobby. $3 for an orange!!! Go elsewhere.

Pool is small but heated and very tranquil, usually barely anyone there, even in early August. Fire pits around the pool and at the front of the hotel are lovely and romantic. I didn't visit the fitness centre, but my dad said it was small but adequate. Decor of the hotel was kind of aquatic-themed, very homely. Free wifi in the lobby is great.

Can't think of much more to say, except for stay here! If you want a hotel that will meet your needs after you come back from a tiring sightseeing day, I doubt you could find anywhere better.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are lovely, and when you've got tired and cranky kids you'll want to get b...
4 Thank canse912
SheratonGM, General Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Dear Canse912, many thanks for the 5-star rating and the detailed review of your experience. I was very pleased that Margarita was able to assist and I will most certainly pass on your comments as I am sure she will be thrilled she was able to make a difference with your stay. I do agree that our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper is the most comfortable in the industry and am pleased you had a great nights sleep. Thanks again for the visit and we look forward to your return. Take care and warm regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles
Reviewed 18 August 2012

The Sheraton is a good value. It's one of the less expensive hotels in San Francisco. This place is clean with good, friendly service. No frills, nothing fancy. I prefer a hotel in Market Square, where most of the restaurants and attractions in San Francisco are. This hotel is NOT near Market Square (downtown San Fran). This property is however walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf. Quite honestly, the Wharf is ok.....but I would recommend staying in downtown (Market Square) and driving or taking a cab to this area for the day; as opposed to staying at the Wharf. Overall, a positive experience, especially if you are traveling on a bit of a budget.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Bob6104
Dear Uclkyle, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for your kind comments on our friendly service. Our location is at Fisherman's Wharf, however we have several convenient and fun transportation options to the Market Street area you mentioned which is only about a mile away. In addition to our world famous cable cars, our hotel is right on the F-Line Streetcar line that travels along the Embarcadero past the Ferry Building to Market Street. We also offer a complimentary morning shuttle to downtown via our town car service. I hope you will consider returning on your next vacation to the area and again my thanks for staying with us. Safe travels and warm regards,
Warwickshire,England
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Stayed here for a week on our recent California trip, familly of 4 including 2 teens.
Read some slightly worrying reviews before we went, but we found this hotel extremely good.
Firstly the location is brilliant, one block from the Wharf and Pier 39, literally a 3 minutes walk in a safe busy area, plenty of crossings, 30 seconds walk to the tram stop to get you to Union Square etc.
Loads of places to eat very close by, IHOP is just across the road from the back door - great if you are jetlagged and up at 5am! Hollywood Cafe out the front and 2 blocks up, excellent breakfasts, loads of great dinner places in easy strolling distance.
The hotel itself is modern, fresh, airy and open - the lobby is spacious, there's a coffee bar and area for sitting and using ipads etc, it has a small business area with computers, printers etc for easy online check in for your flights.
Check in was very quick, easy and friendly, there was a small queue but they managed it efficiently. We had room 1232 on ground floor which has a small patio and looked over the pool. Room spacious and very clean, looked recently decorated? The bathroom is a little small but it does the job just fine, very clean, great shower. Room has widescreen TV, awesome beds, plenty of linen and towels, in room safe plenty of room and self setting codes.
Was little concerned about noise reported in reviews, but we had very little, there is obviously a small amount of noise to be expected in a busy city close to the Wharf, but only very rarely heard a police siren at 6am etc. Regarding noise inside the hotel, we found none that disturbed us - one night a group of noisy, shrieking girls came shouting and laughing down the corridor outside our room which did wake me up, but to be fair that was 9.30pm! (8 hour time difference had us crashed out early) but I don't think there is a hotel in the world where you wouldnt hear that noise if somebody is so loud, so not a reflection on the hotel.
Staff were really friendly, everyone we passed greeted us with a smile and a warm hello, concierge very helpful with trams, buses, tours and directions, marked clearly on maps for us.
Felt very safe around this area and this hotel, wondered to the shops, pier, Starbucks etc alone quite happily after dark when I felt like a break.
Pool is very nice, again very clean, loved the firepits around the hotel and the pool, when it's chilly at night they are lovely to sit around with a drink.
Personally having stayed at and seen other hotels in San Fran, I would stay here again like a shot :)

Room Tip: ground floor 1232 facing pool, spacious, newly decorated it appeared, found to be quiet.
1 Thank KayC88
Dear KayC88, many thanks for the review and the 5-star rating! I was very pleased you enjoyed our location, the area attractions here at Fisherman's Wharf and our very friendly staff. I was also glad you were able to have a relaxing time time by our outdoor warming firepits. Thanks for the visit and come back soon. Take care and warm regards,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 17 August 2012

It was my first trip to SF, half my friends told me to stay near Union Square, the other half said stay near Fishermans Wharf. I'm so glad I stayed here. I am a lone female traveller and felt totally safe here. The staff were helpful and efficient, the staff at the concierge desk were very knowledgeable about the local area. I had specifically requested a courtyard room due to reviews about noise. I had a wonderful, quiet roomy room, with a comfy king-sized bed. Yes, the hotel was a bit past it's best, the lifts were "lucky', (lucky if they didn't break down and lucky if they got you to the correct floor) but were a great way of making new friends :o) The free internet in the lounge area was fast and perfectly adequate for checking emails, I never found it too busy, maybe some families should consider relaxing on their holiday and leave some their electronic devices at home?? The fire pit area was a good idea, but was filled with smokers when I checked it out, not nice. I breakfasted at the Hollywood Cafe just down the street, (there's also an IHOP nearby) and had dinner at the baked potato shop just over the road. The F streetcar stops right outside, so convenient to get to the Ferry Building or Market Street, and it was a 5 minute walk to Fishermans Wharf. Had a wonderful visit and I would glady return here.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper ask for a courtyard room
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Chezza_King
Dear Chezza_King, thanks so much for the review and 4-star rating. I was pleased you found our staff to be both helpful and efficient and that our concierge was able to provide some good options for you to enjoy your time in San Francisco. Thanks so much for the recommendation and we look forward to your return visit. Take care and warm regards,
york pa
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I had this hotel booked months in advance and requested either 2 connecting rooms or side by side rooms because my elderly parents were traveling with us and I wanted them to be close by. I was told to call 2 days before our arrival, which I did. At that time I was told that our rooms had been assigned and we had been put on the 3rd floor courtyard view with 2 rooms together per our request.
Upon our arrival (3:30pm) we were told that only one room was ready and the other would be ready around 5pm. In addition, they could not guarantee that the rooms were together but they would be "close by". This was unacceptable considering the hotel was nowhere near booked when I made the reservations and I had been told only 2 days before that our rooms were connecting or side by side.

We went to put our luggage in the one room that was ready and saw the head housekeeper coming out of the next door room. She asked my name and I told her and she said that the room was ready so that worked out well. I went back downstairs, got checked in and picked up the keys. The front desk is staffed by some very very friendly folks and the rooms are very big compared to many other hotel rooms I have stayed in. Plus the hotel looks like it recently underwent a huge renovation..It was beautifully decorated but very modern.

Several times we went to the little coffee shop they had downstairs and it was extremely overpriced. Quite honestly the lady who worked there would mention that it would save us money by buying sodas from the vending machine etc so that was nice of her. I knew we were in trouble when we saw the same type of cake pops they sell in a famous coffee shop for $1.50 were being sold here for $5. Cupcakes?? $4. Ridiculous!!

When we inquired about parking we were told it was $45/day plus tax, totaling close to $52/day just to park. But it is a very conveniently located hotel. We walked to the Alcatraz tour, Pier 39, shops and restaurants. Also, be aware that there is an IHOP directly across the street, something that no one is the hotel will tell you. Those prices are reasonable!!

One day I asked if there was a business center that I could use a computer. I was told that I could bring my laptop down to the lobby area and sit 'for about 5 min'. At this time he asked me the reason for having to use the computer. I explained that I needed to retrieve some emails from home. Again, I was told that I could sit for only about 5 min in the area but they don't encourage this. I was perplexed because the lobby was filled with tables with about 8 or 9 people using their laptops, phones, electronics etc. I explained to him that I would need to use the business center as I did not have a laptop with me. AT that point he told me I could use the business center computer, but the charge was 50 cents PER MINUTE> forget it.. This is absurd. Even the 1 star hotels provide a computer free for guest use.

This place, although it has a convenient location, was very disappointing for a Sheraton and nickel and dimed you for everything.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a courtyard view
2 Thank travelinmama1731
Dear Travelinmama1731, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for your kind comments on our very friendly desk agents. I do apologize there was a slight delay in setting up your connecting room, however I was pleased the room cleaner assigned to expedite your request was able to assist getting your family in as quickly as possible. I hope you will return soon and we all wish you safe travels and warm regards,

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Though I read quite a number of negative reviews on this hotel, I do find my stay is pleasant and the service is outstanding.

Plus:
1. The renovated room and the corridor look very good. I like the blue sky (or sea?) design and the new layout of the room - it makes me feel at home. There are also enough lightings to make the room as bright as possible.
2. The Staff is very friendly - no matter it is for check-in, check-out, and operator/guest services.
3. The fitness center is also excellent with up-to-date cardio equipment, though there are that many weighting equipment.
4. I like the design of the lobby lounge. It's a great place to get-together with friends.

Negative:
1. The internet speed is unstable. It is very good for my 3 first days but it starts fluctuating a lot (and even sometimes disconnected) for the last 2 days of visit. I did call the operator (and the service provider) to help but nothing is improved. Surprisingly, I found the Internet speed at the lobby (which is a free Wi-Fi service at the lobby) is much better.

Nevertheless, it is the best Sheraton Hotel (North America) I have stayed in the past two years!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Edward-A A
Dear EdwardAA, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for the 4-star rating. I was pleased you found our staff to be friendly in all areas of the hotel and that you enjoyed the lobby design and Sheraton Fitness center concept. We are pleased to be the best Sheraton hotel you've visited recently and hope you can return soon. Thank you again and warm regards,
Medicine Hat, Canada
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Some of my dislike of this hotel stems from the fact that other members of my family found the wharf area too touristy. I didn't mind the location but other parts of the hotel were lacking. We probably didn't really give it a chance when we realized that they were going to ding us $14.95 per day per device for Internet. We had 9 devices between the 3 of us - 3 iPhones, 2 laptops, 2 iPads, and 2 kindles. That's the way of the techno world.

To be perfectly honest, we would have stayed at the hotel and not moved, if it weren't for the Internet charge. The bother of moving wouldn't have been worth it. The hotel thinks they are being generous by offering free wifi in the reception area. It's a nice concept but the reception area was jam packed - particularly in the evening and in the morning - with families - each member punching away on his/her electronic device. It was noisy and uncomfortable. Part of being on holidays is to be able to take with some of the comforts of home. Well at the Sheraton, either you pay the fee for each device or you can't surf the net in your pj's.

I am from Canada and it is important to try to avoid internet on your phone due to roaming charges - another reason accessible and free wifi is important.

The rooms were small but I am led to believe that most San Francisco rooms are. They look much nicer on the Internet photos than they really are. Most of the photos on the website appear to be of the presidential suite. Customer service was non existent. They did their job and that's about all.

Some positives:

- the pool looked decent. It is small and the photo depicts it fairly. Water is warm
- the beds are very comfortable.
- location is great if you like Fishermans Wharf area
- exercise room decent but was all in use at 8 am - packed

We had intended to stay 4 days but gave our notice to leave almost immediately after we got there. I knew there was an Internet charge and was ok paying it but not on an "per device" basis. The "per device" charge is not advertised. That is just a money grab. The Radisson across the street has complimentary wifi and the rooms are even a little nicer. We looked there before we moved out of the Sheraton but chose a Union Square hotel instead.

I know I sound like a broken record but we would have stayed there had it not been for the wireless device fee. That was just too much and it was completely and utterly unacceptable.

2 Thank xxhermxx
Dear Xxhermxx, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for your kind comments on our convenient location, Sheraton Fitness concept and our comfy Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds, the most comfortable in the industry. I am so sorry you were not satisfied with our Internet service/pricing and I have passed on your comments to the vendor who handles this service to see if we can provide a family plan to accommodate multiple devices per room, which is a very good suggestion. We do offer complimentary service in our lobby, so that is an alternative in the meantime. I hope you can return soon and we wish you safe travels and warm regards,