“Firing on all cylinders” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel

Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel
Ranked #108 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Firing on all cylinders”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

I stayed 2 nights at this property for work in September 2012. I really enjoyed my stay. The hotel was nearly full but I still felt like I was very well taken care of. Here are the plusses:

+terrific location, easily walkable to lots of attractions
+friendly front desk staff - they assisted me with reactivating my Starwood Preferred Guest account so I could transfer my points to Southwest
+lovely lobby design with lots of places to hang out and get online, or have a drink/coffee
+fresh, updated design in the rooms
+VERY comfortable beds and pillows
+easy in and out parking with friendly valets (though very expensive, $51/nt with tax)
+safe neighborhood overall

A couple ever-so-slight negatives:
-curtains in the room. There was no gauzy curtain to let light in but prevent people from seeing in. Either the shade was up completely (and people can see in from the hotel across the street) or the blackout shade was completely down. This is a really small negative, but wish there was some kind of light filtering window covering.
-parking is pricey. The garage across the street is half the price, if you need to park a car.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
SheratonGM, General Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Deaer Leslie_K, thanks so much for the 4-star review and your kind comments on our friendly front desk staff and comfy Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds. I was pleased you enjoyed the visit and hope you will return soon. Take care and warm regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (683)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

I recently stayed at the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf for probably my 5th time. Thought I would share my review of the hotel.

As an SPG Platinum member I requested and received a suite upgrade which was nice for my stay. However there was no Platinum gift in my room which I usually get. Also, I had to do 2 reservations as I came a day early and for some reason they could not merge my reservations together so I had to come back and checkout/check in to the same room after one nights stay.

The room was fine with a seperate dining area but overall the bathroom was very small. The biggest reason why I rated this hotel as average is the age of the hotel. It is really due for an upgrade and it shows in old carpets, banged up walls etc. Rooms were clean though.

Also, my room was adjacent to a loading bay and each day around 6:30-7am they started moving containers around which invariably woke me up. Can't you wait until at least 8am?

The second reason for the average is that there was NO internet access at all (wireless or wired) within my room forcing me to go down to the lobby for brutally slow wifi. As a business traveller this is not really acceptable. At least have a wired connection in the rooms. This is probably due to the age of the hotel where they didn't wire for data access when they built the hotel.

I did also try the restaurants and it was fine but a little on the pricey side.

What you are paying here is for the proximity to Fishermans Wharf. For the price I paid for this room (due to a conference on that week) I would have expected much more, especially as a Platinum member.

In summary the hotel is fine as long as you can get a good price.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms by the loading bay (1520, 2520). They start moving containers around at 7am.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear SuperDave15, thanks for the review of your recent stay with us and for your 4-star rating of our cleanliness and sleep quality. I do apologize you were disturbed by the city garbage service in the morning and that you had an issue with our wifi service. We just connected to a new fiber optic service to increase bandwidth and are still occasionally encountering issues with the radio transmitters. I will forward your comments on to our Chief Engineer as that will help us diagnose any remaining trouble spots. Thanks again for assisting us with this issue and I hope you can plan a return visit soon. Safe travels and warm regards,
bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

This hotel was in a great location. The rooms were light and spacious. The standard of the room clendliness was very high. The breakfast was very expensive so we ate out. A bar would have been nice addition. If we were return to SF i would certainly return to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Thornbury, many thanks for the 4-star review and your kind comments on our cleanliness, rooms and location. Just to clarify, we do have a lobby bar that offers an extensive martini, sushi and tapas menu should guests have an interest, it is located just inside from the outdoor fire pits off the main lobby. Thanks again for the visit and we are looking forward to your return visit. Take care and warm regards,
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The staff was very pleasant and location is perfect. The hotel is near the wharf and good restaurants. We liked the room, it was modern and comfortable. The bathroom could have been more spacious. The staff was very friendly especially Mr. Wong, the manager. If we come back to San Francisco,we would love to return to this hotel. We particularly enjoyed the outside gas fireplaces and the comfortable sofas, great for lounging with a drink before supper.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Toogreat, thanks so much for the 4-star review! I was pleased you found our staff to be pleasant and the location worked out for you. I most certainly will pass on your kind comments to our Front Office Manager Henry Wong as he will be pleased to hear he made a positive difference with your stay. Thanks again for the visit and we hope you can return soon. Take care and warm regards,
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

Our travel agent managed to get us a good deal for just one night after a cruise that arrived early morning at pier 35. After the usual USA immigration delays, we arrived about 9:30am, but had requested our TA inform them of the early arrival.
The receptionist hardly batted an eyelid when we said that an email had been sent and had a room ready straightaway. The receptionist also supplied a temporary Starwood loyalty card as even though we have been Starwood members for a over a year, we never had a card.
As others have said, the lifts are a bit slow and the hotel layout is a bit confusing until you have been to and from your room a couple of times. The room was advertised as for a Starwood prreferred guest, was clean and spacious, yet the beds were only doubles and not Queen or King, which is unusual.
Food in the coffee bar appeared a bit pricey, but there is a 711, Subway and other eateries close by.
Great location as the Hop On Hop Off bus office and terminus is less than 100 yards away and the waterfront not much further.
Piers 39 and 45 are within easy walking distance.
No refrigerator in the room is poor at this price and the rooms are not double glazed. Our room wasn't dark enough as the Roman blinds let in far too much light and there were lights outside.
At $25, we decided that breakfast was too expensive.
We parked our luggage and the pleasant concierge also booked our airport shuttle, which arrived on time at 6:15pm. We didn't use the pool but we did sit outside late afternoon until the shuttle pick up, in a sunny area primarily for smokers, adjacent to reception. There is an outdoor gas fire for each of the four seating areas which is pleasant enough. We weren't troubled by smoke drifting across either.
The important question as always, is "would we stay again". Given the ideal location, the answer would probably be yes.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Ray_G, many thanks for the detailed review and 4-star rating for our services, cleanliness, rooms and location. I was pleased to hear we were able to assist with replacing your SPG card and I thank you for your loyalty to Starwood hotels and resorts. We are in the process of replacing the internal components of our elevators, so I do apologize you encountered a slow car. Thanks for the tips on the hop on/hop off busses and other area services and attractions and I am glad you were able to enjoy our outdoor firepits. I hope you can return soon and wish you safe travels and warm regards,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

I was here recently for a conference. I had no idea what to expect and felt like the totally transplanted East-Coaster that I am. However, the staff are very nice, the hotel is fine; it's not fancy - but my room was spacious and clean, modern, and comfortable. It's a very short walk to the wharf. I didn't eat in the restaurant but I felt very comfortable and safe here. When you're visiting San Francisco, there's so much to do and see - you won't be in your room much and you'll be happy for the comfort and convenience at the end of the day.

1 Thank danceout
Dear Danceout, thank you so much for the 4-star review and for your recommendation. I was pleased you enjoyed the visit during your conference and hope you were allowed time to visit our many area attractions. Thank you for your kind comments on our staff and hotel cleanliness. Hoping you can return soon ... warm regards,
Boulder City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

Location near Fisherman's Wharf nice. Had trouble with room, and moved three times in an 8 day stay. On business travel that was bit frustrating. Hotel manager Dan took care of the situation. Sad that this Sheraton property in California doesn't participate in the Sheraton GREEN program, of all places. We had 12 people in our group and each one of us was told a different story about the internet fee. Some folks got internet for free, others paid, Not good business! Breakfast was very pricey. Overall I would probably not stay at this property again. VERY busy front desk, almost always a line and the main elevators take awhile.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 4th floor, it has new ac units.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Cmarshy, many thanks for the review and advising us that you had difficulties in obtaining the room desired upon your arrival. I was pleased Dan was able to assist and apologize there was confusion over the internet fee. Both answers are correct as we do offer a high-speed fiber optic connected system in all guest rooms at a fee ... AND offer a free service in our lobby. Thanks again for the visit and come back soon. Warm regards,