“Spring break at the Drake”

Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel
Ranked #95 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 March 2012

What a great location to stay in San Francisco! Our concierge took care of us like
family and from the doorman to the front desk to our shuttle to and from the airport, we felt well take care of. Very cozy rooms and the lobby/bar area is very beautiful also. Step right out the door to the trolley or other public transportation or walk to Union Square or Chinatown. The two diners across the street are awesome as well as La Scala restaurant!

Room Tip: Always away from the elevators and a room not on Powell Street.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Jim G, General Manager at Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Dear Ginger C:

Thank you for posting your review. We went through an extensive renovation in 2011 and I am glad that you were able to enjoy that!

Aside from our location and the hotel amenity, I always welcome our guests' review on our staff!

Hope to welcome you back in SF!

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Arrived 5pm very quick check in. We had booked a grand queen room, room very large with 2queen beds. No view at all however very quiet and very large room.

All staff very attentive, room service very good food excellent. Location fantastic 3 minute walk to union square where all the main shops are.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Jim G, General Manager at Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Dear Gina M:

Thanks for your feedback! I am happy to hear that our staff was able to assist you with a quick check-in!

Sounds like you were able to take an advantage of our location, too!

Hope to see you back in SF soon!

Reviewed 19 March 2012

From the Period dressed doorman, bellman, front desk associates, bar tender, and service staff our every need was fulfilled. The hotel is nicely decorated with little suggestions here and there of its name sake. The rooms are immaculate and cozy. The drinks were awesome and the La Scala restaurant was delicious. We've stayed in other hotels in SF but NOW we will have a home port in the city. It's location was perfect for shopping and sight seeing. Thank you Kimpton and the management for our very comfortable stay!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Jim G, General Manager at Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Dear FLDreamer7:

I am very happy that you had a wonderful experience during your recent stay with us! Not only that our location offers one of the best in SF, but our staff is definitely one of the best, and as a general manager of the hotel, I am happy to have them on my team!

Hope to welcome you back at the Drake soon.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

We had a great time in San Francisco staying here! The room was large (by S.F. standards) and service was friendly and helpful. The restaurant, Scala Bistro, was excellent with great service as well! Would definitely stay here again.

Dear Catherine G:

Thanks for posting such a nice comment! I am glad to hear that you had a great visit to SF and my staff was able to make your stay even a better one!

Hope to see you back in SF soon.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

I've been lucky enough to stay at the Drake dozens of times over the last 3 years (for business) and find it to be one of the most handsome, expertly-managed & maintained hotels I've ever visited. The staff is always warm and attentive, the lobby bar extremely cozy, and the rooms beautiful and clean. Consistency and class. And centrally located to boot.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Dear Jack P:

I really appreciate your posting a great review on the Drake!

All of us are always striving to be the best in the industry and I am certainly greateful that you are one of the guests who can appreciate it!

Please visit us soon!

Reviewed 16 March 2012

While this is only the second hotel I've stayed at in SF, I was very pleased.
Pros:
Great staff-The person who checked us in was very helpful with restaurant recommendations and offered to get us reservations if we wanted to.
Great Location-Like everyone else has said: cable car stops right outside, bus stops close by, Union Square. No need for a car here!
Cool rooms-Look at the photos. Unique decor, great views of the city. Yes, on the small side, but well taken care of and clean.
Perks-I mentioned that I had just signed up for the KimptonInTouch program when we checked in and got the free wifi as well as 2 coupons for free drinks at the bar during our stay. Also, if you are staying more than one night, you can choose to not have your room made up and they will give you a $10 voucher which is good in the bar or restaurant. So, we had breakfast the next morning at Scala's Bistro and loved it!

Cons:
While our room was very quiet the first night, we did hear our neighbors the second night. Really it was the second morning as we heard their iPhone alarm go off. They must have had it set to go off pretty loud though.

Really, that's all the cons I experienced. I got the hotel for $125 a night through Priceline and was not disappointed. I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robert F

Dear Bob F,

Thanks for posting your detailed comment!

Yes, our location is one of the best in SF for all of your shopping and dining experiences; the hotel has just gone through an extensive renovation in 2011 and our rooms are very unique and eclectic...to name a few.

Most importantly, my staff has the best foot forward to assist our guests to make their stays as pleasantaly as possible...and I am happy to have them as my team!

Hope you will visit SF soon.

Reviewed 9 March 2012

Really enjoyed our stay, took advantage of the special winter rate. Union Square location convenient to shopping, restaurants, public transportation. Glad we did NOT have a car as parking is $50/day, apparently typical for the area. Kimpton seems to go an extra step to make guests feel welcome--two drink coupons for the beautiful lobby bar when we checked in was a nice start. Our room was beautiful and spacious (grand king). We had unseasonably warm weather in San Francisco, probably one of the few times A-C would have even been needed, and ours failed in our room. Engineering arrived promptly but was unable to fix it so left a note for us to call for a room change. Always a hassle to move, my husband asked for a room upgrade instead of the 20% discount offered. He also explained it was my birthday and with a little nudge, they upgraded us to a gorgeous, expansive suite, complete with champagne and strawberries! Now THAT is going the extra mile! Overall, staff were very responsive--quickly delivered extra items such as more towels and lotion.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank craftnut

Dear craftnut:

I appreciate your feedback on your recent stay with us. I apologize for some inconvenience you experienced during your stay and I am glad to hear that my staff was able to assist you in making your stay a better one.

Sounds like you were able to take an advantage of the location during your vacation, too.

Hope to see you back at the Drake in the near future.