Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel
US$221
US$185
MysticHotel.com
  • Restaurant
Comfort Inn by the Bay(San Francisco)
US$217
  • Breakfast included
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$240
US$235
  • Restaurant
InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$227
US$222
  • Room Service
Hotel Rex San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$218
US$212
  • Restaurant
San Francisco Marriott Marquis(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$495
US$476
Marriott Hotels
  • Bar/Lounge
InterContinental San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$405
US$345
InterContinental
  • Pool
US$444
US$398
  • Restaurant
Hotel Zoe Fisherman's Wharf(San Francisco)
US$318
US$278
Travelocity
3,476 results
All reviewsstarlight roomscala's bistrounion squarelobby baryoga mathistoric hotelwine hourcable cartop floorrooms are smallstreet noisean older hotelqueen roompowell stvalet parkingfisherman's wharffew blocks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

It is perfectly located, service is good but the rooms are tiny! We were two adults and two girls in a double and we could hardly walk around when we were all inside the room. Morning coffee was excellent and the concierge service superb. Recommended for couples.

1  Thank ASpiegel
Jim G, General Manager at Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear ASpiegel,

Great location, good service and I prefer to call them cozy rooms are all perfect reasons to stay at the Drake. I agree with about being a wonderful place for couples enjoy a great room, dinner in scala's bistro and finish your evening at the starlight room with a hand crafted cocktail overlooking the San Francisco skyline. Perfect!

Thanks for staying with us.

Jim

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Part (1)
I just thought I would commence this review after we have checked in as I felt it deserved the time after our experience.

For background purposes I travel to the USA a lot for sporting tours and for non work holidays and have stayed at a variety of properties. Currently I am with my wife on our 'baby moon' (didn't know that term existed until recently) and decided to book our last accommodation through a 3rd party website , for us this was mystery hotels on Hotwire. I would not normally do mystery hotels as I like my research. So this was essentially out of character.

When I discovered it was Sir Francis Drake I was pleased as I have stayed in other Kimpton properties in Seattle and Washington (not through 3rd party websites). So over the last few months I started to read the reviews about this hotel and what I found interesting is that the manager (Mr Jim Gross) replied to nearly all the reviews I read, both favourable and unfavourable in a personal manner and not a generic cut and paste option.

This is rare (having friends in the industry in Australia). Upon check in we were greeted by a young lady, Aleina who really impressed my wife and I with her friendly and professional manner. This was just after 11am and with check in normally at 3pm she suggested that if can explore the local area she could have a king bed room for us as an upgrade. I never push the issue of upgrades in any hotel and her interaction with us was free flowing and personable. She showed a genuine interest in my wife's pregnancy (23 weeks), and our upcoming stay. This genuine interest really goes against those reviews that I have read here saying that the staff at this property look 'down upon' those guests that check in under 3rd party arrangements.

We explored the local area and were checked in promptly at 3:30pm to a beautiful room on the 14th floor. King bed, spacious room that is immaculate. We are at the rear of the property but have views to the south, yes the bathroom is small, it serves its purpose, reviewers must consider the age of the property and its old world charm.

To top off our check in experience we just had a bottle of sparkling cider (non alcoholic of course) from the hotel as congratulations to us for soon to be parents. This was obviously done through Aleina at the front desk as no notes were completed by me upon booking this property.

I will continue to update this review over the next 5 days.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Ausman,

I love reviews like this thank you so much for your wonderful comments. Congratulations on your pregnancy and what a great place to spend your "baby moon"; I must be honest I never heard of that term either but thanks for spending it with us. I 'm glad you mentioned Aleina she really understands hospitality and works really hard to make every guest happy. I hope you come back and see us again real soon and please send us some photos of your baby when he or she arrives.

Cheers!

Reviewed 20 January 2014

My friend and I stayed here for two nights in Jan. The city was relatively quiet after the holidays. But this hotel is right by Union Square and felt busy due to it's small but quaint lobby bar and good restaurant. The rooms are very small and the hotel overall seem to need a good freshening up but it is an old building with interesting historical and architectural elements. The beds were clean and comfy which is all that I really require. The bathrooms were tiny. I wouldn't recommend for families or older couples looking for a quiet place. This place was full of young party people. There is a bar at the top with a DJ that seemed like a loud and lively place to go and dance if you were looking for that sort of thing. I appreciated the cold lemon water in the lobby and wine hour (try to get there at the beginning of the wine hour) Overall, my friend and I had a great time in the city with close by shopping, great food and a good clean bed to sleep in on.

Room Tip: ask for higher level and not facing the main st. Which may not give you a better view but quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear KKrisC,

Thanks for your comments about the Drake; you are right about being right in the center of all the action we are steps away from world class shopping, great restaurants (ours is pretty terrific) and the cable cars stop is right outside the hotel. We have just completed a $12 million dollar renovation that included all guestrooms and meeting space. We appreciate your feedback and hope you join us again soon.

Jim

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Hotel is situated in a good location. Walking Distance to Union Square and all the shopping hubs. Staff are very friendly, professional and courteous. We were able to checked in early, and when we checked out my 3 year old girl was given a small gift bag(crayons, stickers and coloring paper). My daughter loved it! Hotel has Elizabethan Era kind of feeling which was great. Free Breakfast at Scala Bistro was good, light and healthy. As for the room, I can say they have better rooms than when we stayed at one of the hotels in New York. Overall, will surely comeback:)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Excellent location in a very center of San Francisco. Very nice , spacious rooms . Everything is very close to the hotel. Great views from rooms, especially from highest floors Definetly worth recomending.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Jim G, General Manager at Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Joanna_B,

Thanks for your awesome review of your experience at the Drake! Excellent location, great views are comments we hear a lot from our guests. Sounds as if you stayed in one of our spacious king grand rooms they are one of my favorite room types. Make sure you visit Scala's Bistro on your next trip; Chef Larry's winter menu is in full swing and it continues to get rave reviews on his use of fresh ingredients cooked from scratch... Please join us again on your next trip to the states.

Cheers!