“Amazing hotel, great location and the best Concierge, Leif!”

Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel
Ranked #95 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I was in charge of planning our company's incentive trip to San Francisco last week. After negotiating with several hotels in the area, I finally decided on the Sir Francis Drake. Boy, am I glad I did! I initially worked with Stephanie Hiatt to establish our hotel rates and banquet needs. Since I had a million other questions about things to do in the area, a wine tour to plan, transportation needs for my group, etc., she introduced me to Leif Abram, Concierge. Leif was the best thing that happened to us! He arranged the Napa Valley Wine Tour, transportation to and from the airport several times, helped the staff with salon reservations, got us into restaurants no one else could get us into, made sure our CEO had Coors Light in his limo and room. Needless to say, Leif made us feel at home. Leif is a first class representation for the Sir Francis Drake. We have worked with hotels all over and have never been treated as well. Our service by several others were also outstanding. Stephanie, Lillian Leong, Faith, Courtney, Jose and Jose in Banquets. Our rooms for those arriving on Wednesday were not set up as a group check in, although the front desk had a room list. About 15 minutes before the bus arrival I went to the front desk to let them know the group was about to be there soon. Nelson jumped into action and quickly assigned rooms, made keys and expedited the check in. He was superior! The hotel was beautiful and charming with amazing character and was a perfect location for our group. Our stay at the Sir Francis Drake could not have been better! Thank you again to Leif and the rest of your staff.

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed at the Sir Francis Drake hotel for a night on business. Staff was extremely helpful and friendly from the moment I arrived. Anthony, the bellman met us at the car and expeditiously handled our bags and valet parking. When he brought the bags to the room, he placed everything neatly in the closet, and proceeded to point out the many amenities in the room. He also asked if I had gotten a WiFi code at check-in (which I didn't) and proceeded to write free access code down on a piece of paper for me. The hotel had a special Free WiFi in February promotion, which I would have not know about if it weren't for Anthony. The hotel is older and the public space and lobby seem dated, but the rooms were newly renovated and nicely appointed. The next morning, as I waited in the lobby for my traveling companion, a charming young lady named Yamona, offered me a cup of coffee and gave me her insights into her favorite spots in the neighborhood for dining, shopping and culture. She works in the hotel's sales department and was truly a joy to meet. Overall, the entire staff was extremely helpful from the valets, bellman, front desk and the Beefeaters (the hotels doormen in costume). Only complaint was the noisiness of the room. Powell and Sutter streets are clamoring late into the night (and early in the morning) and most of the noise carries through to your room (even on the 15th floor). Nonetheless, I would return for the staff, location and old world charm of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask if there are quieter rooms. I was on the corner, so I might have gotten hit with noise on two s...
1  Thank WisconsinsFinest
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I recently stayed here 3 nights for business and had a great experience. I arrived early and the room was not ready however the concierge immediately assisted with bag check so I could walk around and enjoy the day while waiting. The room was a king bed suite that had been newly renovated and very nice for a historic hotel. There is a hosted happy hour each evening, which is a very nice amenity. This hotel is located near Union Square and is close to nice restaurants, shopping, a cable car stop and Chinatown. The door man was very helpful locating cabs and a car service for the airport travel. My meeting didn't end until noon and I asked and was immediately offered late checkout [1 pm] gratis. I have stayed at many other hotels in San Francisco and this was one of the best hotels recently.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room on a higher floor, traffic on Powell can be a little noisy on lower floors.
Reviewed 18 February 2014

The hotel is excellently located next to Union Sq and the staff were very friendly and helpful (not unusual in the US, but really very welcome).
The hotel is a bit dated but everything is very clean and well looked after, a bit noisy but this adds to the experience for me. The bed was fabulous, comfy and big, just what I like.
Valet service top class (I drove in from the airport and travelled as well, so this was a big help).
Overall, I can only recommend this as great place to stay to visit SF - not to mention it is straight across the road from Lori's diner where you get the best breakfast evert!!
Well done to SFDH, will definitely come back.

Room Tip: Choose a corner room, they are nice and big and have cool views of the street!!
Reviewed 18 February 2014

How wonderful it is to step into the Drake's lobby and feel like you you have arrived. As always, the staff is professional, friendly and up beat. I like the fact that lobby is alive with traveler's enjoying stories and drinks. This charm is transferred to the guests as you always get a greeting on the elevator from a a fellow hotel guest.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

many previous reviews by other travellers. this hotel is all about service. every employee we met went out of their way to be helpful. arrived 6 a.m. and although the room we booked was not ready until 3 pm they offered us another room and we were able to shower and refresh. this was amazing. the coffee in the a.m and the wine and pizza at 5 pm were a nice touch. got a reasonable rate bidding on priceline. building is older with charm so don't expect ultra modern. we asked for a non pet room which was not a problem. Location is absolutely ideal.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Jim G, General Manager at Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear DWR,

Thank -you for the 5 star review; your right about the location we are steps from world-class shopping and great restaurants and attractions. I really appreciate the comments about the great service our team is really focused on the guests happiness; its nice to know that it shows.

Cheers

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed two night this past weekend, and enjoyed everything about our visit. The service was courteous prompt and always helpful. We had a corner room on the 4th floor overlooking the cable cars. Wasn't too noisy, and we slept very well in our nice king bed.

Room Tip: Our corner room was magnificent, but can't say we did anything special to get it.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Blake40,

Thanks for the great review; long weekend, wonderful corner room, great sleep and quiet.
Priceless Thanks for staying.

Cheers...