“3 nights in San Francisco”

Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel
Ranked #98 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Stockholm, Sweden
“3 nights in San Francisco”
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Very nice place in the shopping center area of San Francisco and very close to the oldest districts of the city. Easy to move by walking or by tram all around. The rooms are in a typical empire style with all modern facilities. We enjoyed also the neighborhood in the evening for the dinner. Better to stay in case shopping is the first goal, a little bit far if you want to enjoy the seaside, but not too much, 30 mins.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Jim G, General Manager at Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Dear Airone_111

Thanks for the review; very nice place, close to world class shopping and great restaurants are things we love to hear from our guests. Please make sure that when you stay with us you visit the Starlight Room on the 21st floor for dancing and excellent cocktails overlooking the city and of course don't miss Scala's bistro for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Thanks for spending your vacation with us; see you next year!

Jim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 4 April 2014

PROS: proximity to Union Square (1/2 block), rooms with 2 queen beds (hard to find in San Fran), free wine at 5pm each day, Scalas restaurant onsite which has great breakfasts and dinners, friendly staff, responsive room air conditioning/heat, reasonable price. CONS: beds were a bit soft, bathrooms are super small and design of rooms and hallways is a bit odd but kept in mind it is a historic hotel so it didn't bother me. I didn't find it noisy - our room faced an inner courtyard which was pretty industrial to look at but very quiet. I would stay again.

Room Tip: we had a Grande Queen which offered a large sitting area which was nice.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank GilliGorilla
Gilli Gorilla,

I'm so happy that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel; thanks for mentioning the complimentary wine reception, Scala's Bistro and the properties friendly staff (that makes me smile). Don't forget our great location, steps from world class shopping (Nike, Pink, Apple) and a cable car stop in front of the hotel. I appreciate the positive feedback.

Cheers
Europe
Reviewed 2 April 2014

The Drake is a historic hotel in a fantastic location downtown location off Union Square. It's quirky and fun, with doormen dressed as beefeaters, and a giant gummy beefeater (fake? who knows, you'll have to try...) over the lobby bar. The staff are fun and quirky, and very helpful (I worked with Christine in sales).

A couple of other highlights are the must-see, hilarious, drag show at Sunday Brunch, and the Starlight room, a great weekend night spot/

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NomadicWombat
Dear Nomatic Wombat,

I really appreciate you wondering into the Drake; historic hotel in a great location that is quirky and fun... Sounds perfect Your comments about the Drag Brunch are spot on; it is a must see when you are visiting San Francisco.

Please wonder in again!

Jim
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed at the Sir Francis Drake for 2 nights and loved every minute of it. It is in a fantastic location, and everything about the hotel is beautiful. We only had one minor issue with the service. I called ahead to request 2 beds, but when we checked in, the front desk associate (I believe her name was Mary) stated that since we had purchased the room on priceline, rooms are not guaranteed and they only had a double room for the first night. Her attitude was not helpful or friendly. HOWEVER, that night I again approached the front desk and the young lady helping me more than made up for it- I wish I remembered her name! She was very warm and friendly, and she assured us that it would be no problem for us to stay in he same room for both nights. Aside from the minor service glitch, this hotel is excellent, and we will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Txrosley,

Thank -you for your feedback and for staying at the Drake; we really do have a beautiful hotel with warm friendly associates that are anxious to please our guests. I can't wait for you to come back and see us again.

Cheers.
Davis, California
Reviewed 31 March 2014

My husband and I just returned home from an enjoyable two night stay at the Sir Francis Drake Hotel. We had the "Standard Queen" room which was just fine for us. Besides the bed, there was a comfortable chair as well as a desk and chair. There was a nice flat screen TV with satellite stations. The wifi worked great in our room. The hotel is well located near Union Square so there is great shopping as well as many restaurants. Also, there is a Starbucks right next door and a Walgrens across the street which are very handy. I think the staff was the friendliest I have ever encountered. They made us feel very welcome. As others have mentioned, the bathroom is very small; however, it is very cute and clean and wasn't a problem for us. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We were on the 14th floor in a room facing Powell. It was very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I was at the Sir Francis Drake in early Februray for my brother's wedding, and it was a fantastic weekend! The ceremony took place in one of the ballrooms, and it was simple and elegant. We then had a cocktail reception in the lobby area, and it was perfect. For the reception, we headed up to the top of the hotel to the Starlight Room & Lounge, and it was one of the best reception spots I've ever seen. The views were gorgeous, the food delicous, and the drinks flowing. The hotel rooms are modern and sleek, but they are a bit on the small side (but I guess that's normal for SF!).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kate H
Los Angeles
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Anniversary / Birthday visit present for my wife and I. We only stayed overnight here and made the most of it. Dinner at Lori's the 50's diner on the corner was fun good food open 24 hours. Starlight Room for a drink and the view is worth it. Located on the 21st floor opens at 6pm slip in before it gets busy to get a window seat. Sears fine food across street we went in to look wanted to eat there but ran out of time looked delicious as my grandson Nathan would say. We stayed in room 427 facing Powell, RV style bathroom ie not much room. Noise yes from the street added to the flavor of the experience for us. Window opens a bit to get fresh air a plus for me. Quite the place. Do not pass up the chance to visit.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple