“Enjoyed Every Minute”

The Donatello
Ranked #42 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 August 2009

All the good things said about this property are true, you could not meet a nicer group of people. Every employee we met was efficient and service oriented. We had a fifth floor terrace room and actually got to enjoy it a few days. I was concerned about noise after reading some other reviews and I am happy to say that other than emergency vehicles we never heard a thing. The so called breakfast is really only good for the beverages and the fruit, but the hot drinks available 24hours were greatly appreciated at the end of the day when I was freezing. It was only in the high 50's during the day and windy, so by the time evening came I was ready for some warmth.
We spent alot of time in the Wharf area doing tours etc, so I thought maybe staying in that area would have been a better idea. Now that I think about it it was good to take the public transit to see other areas of the city and we had some great food around the hotel. Biscuits and Blues is next door to the hotel, good food and a great Blues show. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a service and value oriented stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KGD'sMOM

Reviewed 15 August 2009

We booked this hotel based on the great reviews it received on tripadvisor, and we were not disappointed one bit. The location is within walking distance of many restaurants, shops, and means of public transportation. The staff are friendly, courteous, and extremely helpful. Special kudos to Sarah, the concierge! The room was clean and bright, and the price is quite reasonable for downtown in a major city. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed 14 August 2009

The Donatello has a lot going for it. It is in an area near to Union Square and the transit hub. The staff were all friendly and willing to go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. The room was a good size and very clean. The continental breakfast was very nice but sometimes the area got a little too crowded. The only negative I can mention was the poor ventilation in the bathroom.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Steeler_Pens_fan
Reviewed 12 August 2009

I love this hotel! I was in town to assist my daughter with a surgery so I was not expecting a pleasant stay. I was also nervous to be in the Union Square part of town because I was afraid of dirt, noise, etc. I spent 6 nights there. Much to my surprise, the hotel was quiet, extremely well run, the room clean and in good shape and very large compared to other, pricier rooms in SF. There was a great deal of storage space you also don't see in the hotels on the Wharf. Mark and all the front desk folks were very kind and asked about my daughter when I got back to the hotel at night. The valet parking was exceptional. I had to leave the hotel at 5:30 the morning of surgery and the car was right there as I had requested. The front desk even gives you little maps with your key card to help find your way around town which was invaluable. The free continental breakfast was a bit light on healthy fare, but it was as advertized. The Club floor itself is an elegant touch and I chose the hotel because it had a work out facility, which was fine. The bed and pillow were large, comfortable and clean. There were large window in the room you could actually open for air. I was hugely impressed with the Donatello and would go back in a heartbeat. I was sorry I did not get to try the food but the restaurant looked very romantic when i went to investigate.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank moriah9898
Reviewed 11 August 2009

We traveled with our two older teenage children and they had their own room which was a vacation within a vacation. I've been to San Francisco 4 times and this was my best stay yet. Yes it was a little noisy, but it's a city. If I wanted quiet I would have gone to the country. The location was fantastic. One block from the trolley and the bus. Great restaurants within walking distance. The room was large, bright and airy. The bathroom was large enough and everything was spotless. The beds were very comfortable and according to my children, so was the sleeper sofa. The staff was incredibly helpful. We didn't eat the breakfast because as I said, we traveled with teenagers who think waking up at 10am. is early and really, I'm in San Francisco, why would I eat a continental hotel breakfast anyway. Just the fact that it was included in the room price is pretty unusual for a hotel in a major city. My only complaint were the pillows. There could have been a few more and much firmer. Overall, it was a fantastic vacation at a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank lovetheview24
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Pros:
*Spacious Room
*Fridge, toaster, microwave, coffee pot - VERY convenient!!
*Good Storage
*Clean!!
*Excellent location to Union Square and shopping
*concierge VERY helpful - asked if we wanted to listen to a timeshare pitch BUT was NOT pushy when we said no.
*Besides credit card issue (see below), the staff were all VERY friendly and happy to answer any questions.
*Sound wasn't an issue - I mean, yes, you can hear traffic below, but I'm really not sure you can avoid that in SF and it wasn't as bad as some other hotels we've stayed at before.

Cons:
*HORRIBLE shower - felt like I was in a pressure washer for a shower.
*breakfast - coffee, tea, OJ and pastries. A couple baby apples and a few oranges in a bowl. Ours included the breakfast but there was also a sign that said a charge of $4 - for free I can't knock it - but if you want more than muffins or donuts, it's not going to happen.
*Internet only worked some of the time in the room. Have to go to the club level to get good service.
*Issue with credit card - each person we spoke to told us a different thing that was being held for incidentals/room charges...very confusing, and we stay in hotels A LOT and have never had such a bizarre experience.

Overall - would we stay here again? Maybe. We're still waiting for the credit card issues to be worked out, I guess it depends if things are really resolved. If they are, probably - I can chalk up the issue to just a glitch or misunderstanding or mistake. If not, I'd try somewhere else - there are so many hotels in the City to try.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Halefamilyof6
Reviewed 9 August 2009

My husband and I along with our teenage son booked the" Presidential Suite" . It was large, like an apartment, with a dining room and a living room, but no kitchen, two large bedrooms and two baths. The decor was very out dated, but comfortable. The bathrooms were very small, dingy and seemed like they didn't belong, in proportion to the rest of the suite, more like they belonged in motel six. The towels were substandarderd,as were the shampoos and soaps. It should have been a great room, but really needed up-dating!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family