“1 Night, Post Napa/Pre Airport Stay”

Fairmont San Francisco
Ranked #22 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cincinnati, Ohio
“1 Night, Post Napa/Pre Airport Stay”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed in a Signature Golden Gate Suite in the tower and it was everything you'd expect from a Fairmont. Service, decor and in-room amenities were top-notch. The Christmas decorations in the lobby were fantastic. My only complaint is that the lobby bar service was a bit slow.

Room Tip: The tower suites are worth it
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bsmacdonald
FairmontSF, Online Marketing Manager at Fairmont San Francisco, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the hotel. We are very proud of our Signature Golden Gate Suites and feel they are amongst the most stunning in the City. I look forward to sharing your comments with the staff and welcoming you back to The Fairmont San Francisco.
Lucas Schumacher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I really don't know where to begin. I had originally booked the Holiday Inn but as a surprise my wife had cancelled that and had booked the Fairmont for 4 nights. This is just a grand old style hotel with a rich history. Nothing beats a hotel with a rich history and the Fairmont love to show it in old photos from over the last hundred years. The foyer and Laurel Court are just unbelievable luxury in feel and to look at. As soon as you step into this hotel you are met with warmth greetings and hospitality. Our check in was seamless and the room was magnificent. The floor appeared to had just been refurbished and the smell of new carpet in the corridors as you stepped out of the lift gave it a real fresh feeling. We ate at the Laurel Court on one night. The food quality, drinks and service was of an excellent high standard but without the snobbiness that can exist at hotels around the world similar to this. You were made to feel relaxed and comfortable. We also had a night at the Tonga. Now I am not going to give much away with this but if you stay at the Fairmont or even in San Francisco you must go there. It is just the best food with a great 3 piece live band, dancing and a real blast of a an evening. The service here by the wait staff is nothing short of brilliant. There are a few surprises with the Tonga but I will not reveal them. You must find out for yourself!!! The location of the Fairmont is actually central and in easy walking distance to Fishermans Wharf, Union Square, is on the edge of China Town/Little Italy and the famous Cable Car goes past the hotel. This hotel would have to rate as one of the best we have stayed at (including our travels to NYC, Rome, London, Frankfurt just to name a few). When we checked out the desk clerk actually said thankyou for allowing the Fairmont to host you during your stay in SF". A nice touch. Would put this hotel at the top of my list of the best I have stayed at (The Steigenburger in Frankfurt just got knocked from my number 1 spot). This hotel is grand old style in everyway but it is the service from the staff that was the standout for me. Can't wait to come back to SF and oh yes, we will be at the Fairmont.

Room Tip: Ask for the refurbished 5th floor especially room 57. You have a uninterrupted view of Alcatraz and...
1 Thank Paul W
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. You certainly had an active stay at the hotel and were able to experience much of what the property has to offer. I'm sure your wife was surprised and delighted about your hotel switch. As you mentioned Tonga Room is one of a kind and a San Francisco institution that is not to be missed. I appreciate you not revealing all of its considerable secrets. Thanks again for your kind words, I look forward to sharing them with the staff. We look forward to welcoming you and your wife again in the future.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Really enjoyed our visit to The Fairmont in San Francisco. The hotel is beautiful and nicely located. The lobby bar was comfortable and the staff was very efficient. The Fairmont has their own Honey Beer made from honey produced at the hotel and it was really good. Went to the coffee bar every morning which is located on the bottom floor of the hotel and the coffee was great. You can also buy the honey beer at the coffee shop to take home. We ate breakfast at the hotel one morning, which was good. A real treat is going to the Tonga Room located in the hotel. That was a truly enjoyable experience. Enjoyed our stay at The Fairmont and would happily stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda S
FairmontSF, Online Marketing Manager at Fairmont San Francisco, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. It sounds like you had a great stay with us and plan on returning. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed our Laurel Court Lounge and enjoyed our honey saison. We are proud to have partnered with Almanac Brewing Co. (recently named top brewery in the Bay Area). This is a very unique offering in the City and an excellent usage of our rooftop honey. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
London
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here a few times and have had a mixed bag. Saw the great Tony Bennett play live here and that really made the stay for me!! Rooms ok but a little tired to be honest! Perfect location atop nob hill.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank LondonAlan63
Dallas
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Excellent amenities and quality teamwork and service. "The" location. Received an upgrade and suite was beautiful. Took quite a while to retrieve car from valet, but they were profusely apologetic and professional about it. The parking is also insanely expensive. Even so, I'm a fan.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank A L
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I can't explain my disappointment over this hotel. We stayed in the Tilden Suite, which is $1000 a night. You except something a little special for that, in light of it being one of their nicest suites. We had to listen to TWO parties above us, where we could hear the actual songs and feel the beat. MC Hammer... how cruel is that. "Can't Touch This", pounding in our ears as we just toasted our anniversary, about to start our room service and romantic evening in. We ended up leaving and staying out until after midnight, when the party ended. Hotel staff did NOTHING. First time they said they asked them to turn down the base, due to the vibration in the room. That didn't change. It was the VOLUME that needed to be turned down, as I need not need flashback to the 90s with a little "Too Legit to Quit". All they said at that point was "Sorry, hopefully it will end at midnight." That's not acceptable. If that were a party at my house, the cops would show up loooong before that.

The next day, the music started again at 12 noon, with intermittent cheering and clapping. This time it were to last until 8pm. Eight long hours. We left the room again to escape it.

There was more, oh so much more, like rudeness that I would not tolerate from my kids.

I will NEVER visit another Fairmont unless that's the only choice in town.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

3 Thank Renee C
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the hotel. I'm very sorry to hear of the poor experience you had at the hotel. I sincerely apologize for the noisiness of your room. I can imagine how frustrating that must have been, particularly if your complaints were met with apathy. I hope that while you were on property you were able to speak to someone in management and have your complaints addressed. If not I would like to put you in touch with the hotel manager so that he might address your situation directly. If you could email me at: lucas.schumacher@fairmont.com I would great appreciate it. Thanks again and I look forward to your response.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I just got back from a 3-night stay at the Fairmont San Franciso. It was better than average but not quite very good but since just "good" was not an option above, I will give it a very good. I will start with the good. The hotel was beautiful, the rooms were beautiful and the people working at the main desk were great. The breakfast buffet was awesome! Unfortunately, we had to ask for several things in our room. We had a room with a sofa sleeper and it didn't have any sheets provided and they had to come make up the bed at 11:00 at night one night so we had to wait after a long, tiring day. But they did come promptly after we asked and the lady that made the bed was very sweet. There was one man that worked at the bell desk that was very rude to us and his name was Michael. We asked him a question and he sent us outside to ask someone else and he was no help at all. I think he said he had been working there for 13 years. Apparently, he has become complacent. I just think at a hotel that nice and high-priced, we should not have had any issues. But we enjoyed our stay for the most part.

Room Tip: We had the 550 SF room with two beds and a sofa sleeper and it was good for 3 people but would have...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. It sounds like while you enjoyed your stay overall, you experienced some challenges as well. I'm pleased to hear you found the hotel beautiful and breakfast buffet delicious. As we pride ourselves on service, it's nice to hear of your interaction with the housekeeping staff, but I'm troubled to hear of the experience with Michael at the bell desk. There is certainly no excuse for that behavior and for that I apologize. Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back and improving on your next stay.