“Just great!”

Fairmont San Francisco
Ranked #31 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The hotel is very elegant and has a classic luxury atmosphere. Great location, huge bedroom with nice views and very helpful staff made our stay special. It's a place that makes you want to come back.

Room Tip: Ask for a Tower Building room. You will pay a little extra but the views worth it.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Luiza H
FairmontSF, Online Marketing Manager at Fairmont San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thanks for your kind words. I'm thrilled to hear you had such a nice time and look forward to sharing your comments with the staff. Thanks again and we look forward to your return.
Lucas Schumacher

Write a ReviewReviews (3,622)

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I have stayed here for business conferences twice and had suites both time. The quality of the linens are top notch. If classic or old world are not your thing, then definitely don't stay here. This is your grandfather's hotel but that can be great and a welcome retreat. The bar is old school and not all that lively so don't expect a 'happening' scene. You can get that further down the hill. I like the feeling of the hotel. If you have the 'scratch', request a corner room/suite. You can sometimes get a deal on one of the travel websites too. I love a little french restaurant down the hill for a quiet dinner. This is also very close to China Town and an easy ride to Little Italy. So stay if you like classic. If a more modern feel is what you like, than try another place.

Room Tip: Corner room or Bay View
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. It sounds like you enjoyed yourself thoroughly and plan on returning. I'm pleased you were able to stay in a corner room, as they offer some of the most stunning views in the City and a unique perspective on San Francisco. Thanks again for your kind words and we hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Excellent place to stay. It is in the center of al the attactions. The rooms are great and the staff is excellent. Very pricey but so are all the other hotels in San Francisco.The cable cars go right by the major intersection. Tough walk back up the hill from main cable car line.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. I look forward to sharing with the staff. I know they'll be thrilled to hear it. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Optimum location on Union Square/Knob Hill! Best location for all cable car connections.
Service was excellent from front to back , with special mention to Tom Wolf, senior concierge and
staff for prompt recommendations and reservations to our requests.
Hotel can only be described as Elegant. Our suite was everything We requested---highly
recommend the Singapore suite---full view of the city.
In-room service was best ever---service and food/beverage in all lounges/restaurants including
High Tea was above average.
Very friendly and accommodating staff.
This Hotel is a pillar in the San Francisco city landscape---and in Our opinion, should be rated
higher than it is.
Once you stay at this accommodation , it will always be a repeat.
It will be for us.
Thank you Fairmont for a very memorable and enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: Singapore suite or equivalent.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. It sounds like you had an amazing stay with us. We pride ourselves on delivering engaging service to our guests and Mr. Wolfe is that personified. I'm very pleased to hear that you have such a high opinion of the hotel, as you are clearly a very well-seasoned traveler. I look forward to sharing your kind words with the staff. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

A very special hotel that makes everyone feel special! I was my first time with the Fairmont in San Francisco and it did not disappoint. Everything went smooth from check in to check out. If you want to experience classic luxury at its best this is the place to be : )

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I've been to San Francisco many times but this was my first time staying at the Fairmont. The outside of the building is grand and the lobby more grand. Upon checking in we upgraded to a 2-bed room. What we got was a beautiful corner room on the 14th floor with windows along 2 walls. The view was spectacular! We could see downtown, the Bay, the Bay Bridge, Coit Tower and the Transamerica Pyramid. The room was recently renovated. The bedding was pure white which I appreciated. Normally when I stay at a hotel the first thing I do is remove the patterned comforter. No need here. The beds were super comfy. Our room had a nice desk area and the cabinet that the LCD TV was on opened up to the mini bar, Keurig machine, and hot water kettle. K-cups and Fairmont tea was included in the cost of the room. I signed up for the President's Club so our room had workout clothes, including shoes, free of charge. We also had free wifi and the daily newspaper delivered every morning. The room was clean but if I had to nit-pick, there were some water spots on the bathroom mirror when we arrived and they remained there our entire stay. Otherwise, no housekeeping issues. The bathroom had a separate shower and tub and 2 Fairmont robes. The complimentary toiletries smell like roses, literally. I'm still using the hand lotion now that I'm home. The carpets were spotless and I actually walked around with my socks which I normally don't do in a hotel. Walking to the elevators there are long halls lined with old pictures and stories. There are quaint sitting areas along the way. The Cafe Cento has awesome pastries that we grabbed for breakfast in the room. Restaurants are kind of limited and pricey, but around the corner is the Nob Hill Cafe that has some good Italian food. This hotel is conveniently located to catch the cable car to the Financial District or Embarcadero or to Fisherman's Wharf. Do yourself a favor and valet your car and never take it out until you leave SF! Buy a 3-day or 5-day, MUNI pass and don't mess with the traffic and parking! I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Fairmont and we even got a sneak peak at the 4th of July fireworks over the Bay. I've stayed at an adjacent hotel previously, but this is now my must stay at hotel when I go back to SF.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I've been in the Fairmont before, when I lived in the Bay Area in the 90's, but this was the first time staying. Loved every second of it! You can't beat the elegance of location on top of Nob Hill, the entry, the lobby, elevators and finally the rooms.

The rooms were all recently renovated and the beds were incredibly comfortable.

The staff were all wonderful, from the bell desk and valet to the check in desk and concierge. Not one complaint. And the concierge desk is simply the best I've ever seen. We declined to rent car when we got to the airport because the lines were too long. We still needed a car one evening and the concierge arranged for it to be delivered to the hotel at the exact time I needed for only a 5 hour rental.

My favorite part has always been the Tonga Room though. One of the coolest bars I've ever been to.

You won't be disappointed with a stay in this hotel!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your extremely kind words about the hotel. I'm thrilled to hear you had such a nice time with us, particularly after such a long anticipation! We pride ourselves on service, so I'm happy to hear of your interactions with the team. As you mentioned, Tonga Room is one of a kind and not to be missed. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont.