“Amazing historic hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“Amazing historic hotel”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Have stayed at a few Fairmonts, and this lived up to expectations!
Amazing location on the top of Nob Hill offering fantastic views out over the harbour
Walking down the main hall way looking at all the pictures of the Hotel over the years and the famous people who have stayed there was like a history lesson
The Tonga room downstairs was great fun and a nice place to have dinner and drinks and enjoy the show
Concierge staff helped us make some great local dinner reservations and advice on the best way to get out to see the Golden State warriors game

Green Features: Roof top bees and herb garden was great, using the honey to make their own beer served at the bar
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
FairmontSF, Online Marketing Manager at Fairmont San Francisco, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. I'm very pleased to hear you had such a nice stay with us and found the hotel so beautiful. Tonga Room is a San Francisco landmark not to be missed and I'm happy you enjoyed it. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you again in the near future.
Lucas Schumacher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Beautiful, Historic Hotel in the center of the city. Conveniently located to Union Square and the Wharf. We found the door, front desk and room services excellent. Was not impressed with the Concierge on the morning of Aug 2nd, he was rude and dismissive - not what I would expect from a 5 star hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. I'm very happy you enjoyed the hotel and were pleased with the service. That being said, I apologize for the rudeness of the concierge as that is not indicative of the service level we strive to provide. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you again in the future.
Ojai, California
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The Fairmont is a grand old hotel with beautiful architecture in a lovely location. Unfortunately, that's where the good times stop. There was nobody to help with luggage as we exited the cab. The room is very small and few things seem to work. The folding rack to place your luggage is broken. The internet is "dial-up modem" slow. Only a few hangers in the closet (good luck hanging your clothes). It takes quite a few minutes before you will ever get hot water. The bathroom has no place to put your toiletries. Easy to hear everyone's conversation in the hall. The free coffee in the morning ends at 7:30AM; I got some but by the time my wife came down, it was cleared away. And for all these wonderful amenities, we're paying a premium. Next time, I'll be staying in Union Square.

Room Tip: Don't bother.
1 Thank Richard M
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I'm very sorry to hear it was not up to your standards. We strive to provide excellent value to all our guests so I apologize that we fell short in your case. Given that we have just recently completed a comprehensive guest room renovation, I'm surprised to hear of the condition of your room. If you could contact me with your room number I would greatly appreciate it and we can be sure to fix the broken items. Thanks again and I look forward to your response.
lucas.schumacher@fairmont.com
Sweden
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Staying at this classic San Fran iconic hotel is quite memorable. The recent refurbishment was done with a fantastic attention to details, keeping old walls and decorations, just not replacing them. Unfortunately they did also keep the walls between the rooms thin. A couple in the room next to mine had a late and animated discussion, but by no means a row, waking me up at midnight. Luckily they did not engage in any other loud activities, as long as I stayed there. It might would have given the expression "coming through the wall" a new meaning...
During day time, it's a fabulous hotel to stay at, lacking no convenience and offering a fantastic atmosphere.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. As you mentioned we are a classic hotel and our recent renovation brings a more contemporary decor to the Grand Dame of Nob Hill. I'm sorry to hear of the noisiness of your room. We do our best to handle noise complaints in a timely manner, so I'm sorry we failed to do so in your case. I thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back in the future.
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This hotel had lots of character and had a lot of history. I really liked the building itself, there was some great areas in this building and some great Architecture that you don't see enough of these days. The main entrance and lobby was just an incredible scene. The rooms were old world with a little mix of new world that was not done as well as it could or should have been. I knew to expect a high cost for such a historic landmark, but I did not expect some other things that would accompany this price tag. While I expect to pay more for food in a nice hotel, I do expect to get some food for the cost, that was hardly the case. Portions were small to say teh least and the buffett at the Tonga room was okay, but to give you a plate the size of a tea cup saucer was insulting.
I did however find that the staff were great in every way and the Concierge was very helpful and offered some great advice in regards to the best places to play golf in the area. I have to say that just like the clubs they gave me to use his advice was not only sound but greatly appreciated. So, if your looking for Old world feel and a touch of modern and some great Architecture??? This hotel is it!!! If you don't like walking then get your trolley passes. This hotel is on top of a big hill!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Austin
Reviewed 15 August 2014

The Fairmont is everything that you think it would be. Fantastic rooms, very clean, incredibly nice staff and a supreme location. Just beware it sits on top of Nob Hill and the hills are steep! So, you will get a workout on the way back to the hotel unless you take a cab. Would certainly stay again!

Green Features: Recycling bin in the room and can request to keep the same towels as long as you like.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
FairmontSF, Online Marketing Manager at Fairmont San Francisco, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. I'm very pleased we were able to live up to your expectations and deliver such a memorable stay. As you mentioned our location atop Nob Hill is quite steep, but it affords us our stunning Bay & City views. Thanks again for your kind words and we hope to welcome you again in the near future.
Ft. Hunt, VA
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Their latest renovations make the place luxurious! I would have happily given this 5 stars except for a couple of things. They only had 2 people working check-in even though they were having an enormous convention in town. They had someone staffing the "President's Circle" which no one went to. Instead we all crept inch by inch (more than 20 people in line) to get to the counter. Upon arriving at the counter they tell us our room won't be ready for quite some time. They asked for our cell phone number to contact us when it would be ready. The bell staff said they "had our luggage" and "would keep it safe". We found it unattended in the lobby with no one watching it. I was horrified and took it off the bell cart as I didn't need my items to disappear in a very crowded lobby. We had lunch which was a mistake. The waitress who felt the need to swish her ponytail everywhere asked what we wanted to drink. I asked for a "unsweetened iced tea" and my husband had water. She frowned at us. 10 minutes later she puts it down in front of us and takes the rest of our order - soup, sandwich and a salad. I ask twice for some Splenda. She made a face, but didn't bring any. After 30 minutes I had to walk across the room to the bar to get 2 packets of Splenda. She didn't offer to refill either our water or my iced tea. She didn't inquire how our food was, or if we wanted anything else. If you are wondering, NO the restaurant was not crowded, and YES it was lunchtime. We left a tip, but I really didn't think we should have. The waitress was rude and lazy. We asked for turn down service. They came. They did not fill the ice bucket, leave a mint, or restock the toilet paper or soaps. They literally just folded back the blanket. And this is a Fairmont??? Room was lovely, location was great, bed very comfortable, and shade kept out all light. However, the fact that they just LEFT our luggage unattended for over 2 hours in a crowded lobby makes my stomach churn. When we asked the attendant about it they shrugged and said we hadn't checked in. Then WHY did they insist on taking it from us when we arrived??? And what's so difficult about the person doing nothing behind the counter to assist with check-in? And the waitress had a problem, because I wanted unsweetened iced tea and asked politely for some Splenda (no sugar or sugar substitutes were on the table - however she walked around and put them on EMPTY tables).

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the inner garden on the 3rd floor.
Green Features: Same as most hotels. They have a card that stakes water is a resource, etc., and to re-use towels, etc. They say the same as all hotels and try to convince you to re-use your towels and linens which we did. We usually do.