“Excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Nederland, Texas
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

We stayed for 5 days and had an excellent stay. Dominick at the concierge desk was over the top helpful! He went above and beyond to help guide in the right direction with out plans. Very nice hotel. Rooms were very comfortable and clean. Great staff!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FairmontSF, Online Marketing Manager at Fairmont San Francisco, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. I'm pleased you had such a nice visit and received such excellent service. Thanks again and we look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Lucas Schumacher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sun Valley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

I felt the front desk staff had an attitude and are unconcerned about
inconveniencing guests. It also seemed as if the front desk staff was fairly new at their position and not really knowledgeable. To say the least it was frustrating.

Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

I chose to stay at the Fairmont Hotel as part of my 30th Birthday celebrations and I wasn't disappointed! Upon arrival I was warmly greeted by the doorman who took all my bags without any fuss, it was seamless! The lobby was just jaw dropping, something to see even if you're not staying at the Fairmont. The girl behind the check in was equally as friendly and made me feel so welcome. She explained that I would be in the main building and that she wished me a very Happy Birthday! I found my room on the second floor to be very lovely and full of charm. There was a birthday balloon and a birthday card waiting for me inside too which was such a nice touch. It had clearly been very recently renovated as everything looked brand new. The closet was huge! The bed was so comfy and had crisp white bedding. The bathroom in our room was small but well appointed. Being in the main building our view looked out onto the side street, I think the best views were in the newer tower. I asked advice from the concierge a few times and they were so helpful, providing advice and maps, they clearly know everything there is to know about San Francisco. My only tiny criticisms of this hotel are that the walls are quite thin and you can hear whoever is next door. One morning at 5am our neighbours were making so much noise that we ended up calling the front desk, they could not have been more apologetic, security was sent up and the noise stopped immediately. I also requested a turn down service that didn't happen and the tea bags were not replenished, however these were very minor things and in no way spoilt what was the most amazing hotel experience! I was very sad to leave!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sweep33
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us and happy birthday! We are very happy to hear you chose to spend your birthday with us and had such a nice visit. As you mentioned our rooms have been recently renovated and we feel the more contemporary decor perfectly matches the historic luxury of the property. I apologize for the lack of turn down service and the lack of replenished tea, but it sounds like it didn't too negatively affect your stay. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Wow... !!!
I love this property... take time to see the historic photos in the hallways.
Its hard to leave the lobby its so decadent and reminiscent of a more glorious era.
My room in the main building was spacious and well decorated. great view of the bay , coit tower and St peter and pauls.
The highlight of my trip was a tour of the Honey Bees and gardens given by Chef Lee.
Amazing.... set this up ahead of time with the front desk. The front desk staff.. All of them are gracious friendly and professional. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: When you stay at a Fairmont make sure you are enrolled in the Presidents club. Then your wifi is co...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your very kind words about the hotel. We are thrilled to hear such great feedback from such an experienced traveler as yourself. As you mentioned we are a very historic property and much of that storied past in on display throughout the hotel. I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed the honeybee tour so much and I look forward to sharing your feedback with the culinary team. Thanks again and we look forward to your return.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

This hotel is very nice but is located at the top of Nob Hill which is very steep. For those young and out of shape, you can conquer the hill after a few nights of adjusting your calves, but older folk may have difficulty managing the hill. Fortunately, there are numerous transportation options, so if you are not in the mood to walk up the hill one time, a cab can help you out.

For some reason, the rooms at the hotel vary greatly. Although all of the rooms are very nice, some are bigger than others and furniture can differ. The bathroom was a bit small for my taste, especially since the closet was a walk-in (which is unnecessary in my book), but it was still nice.

One thing to note is that the infamous Tonga Room located in the hotel is only open Wed-Sun, so we missed our opportunity thinking we could go on a Monday or Tuesday night. I've heard it's a must see.

Room Tip: Join the President's Club before booking and you can get upgraded rooms, free wi-fi, and free ac...
1 Thank Hearts4StarHotels
Muenchenstein, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Spent 2 nights recently at the Fairmont in San Francisco. The Belle Epoque interior is very charming, the restaurant serves excellent food to decent prices.
What I didn't understand is why the fitness / SPA area is not included in the price (standard in most hotels of this price range).
Room and bathroom are very clean and in good shape, I felt very well.
The desk service is very attentive and eager to help, staff is extremely friendly and forthcoming.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
FairmontSF, Online Marketing Manager at Fairmont San Francisco, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. I'm very pleased to hear you enjoyed the hotel and found the decor charming. I did want to point out that members of our FPC loyalty program receive complimentary WiFi and gym access, amongst numerous other benefits. I apologize if you weren't made aware of that fact. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you again in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here over a weekend in February to celebrate my birthday. I booked two rooms initially because with 4 kids, it was getting harder and harder to get by with one. We live only an hour away and this was just a way to really relax and enjoy the city.
Upon arrival, they realized that they have away the last adjoining room and was left with 2 rooms, 2 floors apart. Well, that didn't work for me given that I have a 2 year old and a 5 year old.
Anyway, they put us up in the MacArthur Suite. It was a 2 bedroom 2 bath complete with a full kitchen, a living room and a formal dining. The suite was exquisite with original hard wood flooring and beautiful vintage chandeliers. The only thing missing was a view of Union Square. Instead we had the view of Morton's and Sak's but who really cares when you're staying in this suite?

Stayed August 2014
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us and happy birthday! I'm very pleased that you and your family had such a nice visit and enjoyed your suite. That particular suite is quite unique and offers a more historic feel compared to the more modern decor of the newly renovated rooms. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you and your family again in the near future.