“Worst hotel I have ever stayed in....”

Fairmont San Francisco
Ranked #21 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Worst hotel I have ever stayed in....”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I booked for one night..and apparently making any kind of noise results in them asking you to leave..yes we were a little loud and we would have kept it down if asked, a simple warning would have sufficed however no...they asked us to leave with no where else to go. I consider myself a reasonable person and have never been treated as badly as I have at this poor excuse for a hotel...
Aside from this the room was small not that clean and not what you'd expect from the lobby or exterior.
As a result I will set foot in this hotel again in my life.
Honestly the worst experience of my life...DO NOT STAY HERE....

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank John G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We booked this hotel expecting a five star hotel and what we got was hardly a four star. In fact, this would have been the worst four star hotel I have ever stayed in. We stayed there for four nights in August 2014. Paying almost $600 per night, we got a VERY small room that had a weird smell. Here are some of the major disappointments:
1. The ottoman in the room had several obvious stains
2. The bath tub was very old
3. There wasn't enough drawer for organizing our cloths. Almost all storage spaces were filled with snack and beverages that were for sale.
4. I couldn't find a trash can in the bedroom.
5. The concierge were not friendly at all.

Any pros? The neighborhood is very nice. You can't get eateries and cafes close by but if you walk for 5-10 minutes you get to areas with a lot of options.
Some people might find the decoration of the lobby interesting. The lobby felt like you are in castle, not necessarily my taste.

Overall, I couldn't have been more disappointed with Fairmont.

Room Tip: Our room was in the "tower" and we didn't have a good view. From my room I could see t...
Green Features: They didn't have a recycle bin in the room. They had a sign that towels left on the rack will be reused.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Golbaghali
Monroe

Your Review
I love the fairmont properties. They Are always great!! From checking in to getting my room upgraded at no additional fee. The room was awesome!! And the VIEWS!! You can't even imagine. Tnx

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

FairmontSF, Online Marketing Manager at Fairmont San Francisco, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you for your kind words and for being such a loyal Fairmont guest! We're thrilled to hear we lived up to your expectations and you found the room excellent. Thanks again.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We only stayed one night but the service was outstanding and the location was walking distance to everywhere. It's a Fairmont exactly what I expect ! Located in Nob Hill which made walking to Downtown so easy.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
FairmontSF, Online Marketing Manager at Fairmont San Francisco, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. I'm very pleased you had such a nice stay with us and your girlfriends. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
The Netherlands
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

We were a little disappointed in our stay at The Fairmont. It is a classic hotel with a beautiful lobby. The room was ok, but a little over dated. It is all ok, but price quality is not good. Two examples. You have to pay for Wifi, that really surprised us. We had to go to the conciërge for toilet paper, not worth 5 stars. The service is ok, but again you do not have the feeling that the staff is really happy with your visit. It looks to me that it is too easy to have the hotel full in this period of the year. Our view was good. The walk up hill was a very good excercise.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. I'm sorry you didn't feel the hotel was up to your standards. We strive to provide all guests with excellent service and value, so I apologize we didn't live up to that for you. I'm surprised to hear you found the room design to be dated. We've recently completed a complete renovation and the feedback has been very positive. One thing to note; members of our Fairmont President's Club loyalty program receive complimentary wifi so I apologize if you weren't made aware of that fact. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you again in the future.
Nederland, Texas
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We stayed for 5 days and had an excellent stay. Dominick at the concierge desk was over the top helpful! He went above and beyond to help guide in the right direction with out plans. Very nice hotel. Rooms were very comfortable and clean. Great staff!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. I'm pleased you had such a nice visit and received such excellent service. Thanks again and we look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Sun Valley
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I felt the front desk staff had an attitude and are unconcerned about
inconveniencing guests. It also seemed as if the front desk staff was fairly new at their position and not really knowledgeable. To say the least it was frustrating.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business