“Good value, good hotel. Quiet.”

The Inn at Union Square - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #5 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We did not have any special deal, but simply reserved a room on the hotel website. It was not as expensive as I thought it would be for downtown San Francisco and I was pleasantly surprised by the care and attention shown by the entire staff from front desk, to bellman, to housekeeping.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank petarandreev
Write a ReviewReviews (1,691)

Reviewed 24 February 2012

Me an my husband stayed here for 3 weeks and I felt so much at home! Lovely helpful staff.
Very clean, free WiFi, lovely location what else do you need!

It was hard to leave the place...
I shall be back!

Best Wishes to The Inn at Union Square and each of the Staff Members!

Regards
Gauri Gupte

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank GauriMohile
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We had a nice time at the Inn. The rooms were a bit dated and the carpet is probably clean but looks like it needs a cleaning. The rooms are pleasent but I could see in the summer it would be a problem with no air conditioning. The rooms were too warm for me on a 70 degree day and we were on the 5th floor.
The wine and cheese and breakfasts were lovely and gave us a chance to meet other guests. The staff were lovely and everyone goes out of their way to be helpful. We had a couple small issues but they were taken care of quickly and efficiently.
The location is in the thick of everything.
Honestly this is more like a bed and breakfast. I felt like I was at my home away from home.

Room Tip: The 5th floor was nice with the wine and cheese and breakfast served right on that floor!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank corny
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The Inn was the perfect place to stay for our long weekend. The room was nice and cozy. The breakfast in the morning was a great way to start the day whether you want to grab a tray and enjoy a romantic breakfast in bed or getting something to take as you head out to explore. The early evening wine and cheese was the perfect way to start the evening and especially nice if you have late dinner plans and want a little snack.
Nestled right in the midst of union square, we walked to Chinatown, North Shore, and to the Wharf. Wonderful relaxing, romantic weekend. Would be my first choice to stay in SF again.

2  Thank Jill P
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed as a family with a few rooms and thought this hotel was the best. It is very centrally situated right at Union Square which is a great place from which to explore all areas of San Francisco. Great shopping right at the door.
The staff were very helpful regarding the sights we should see and with restaurant recommendations as well. Walking distance from China Town, the Wharf etc.
The rooms were spacious and well appointed. The beds very comfortable. The bathrooms were quite good with nice designer Aveda products to use.
We felt very at home at this little boutique inn, enjoyed chatting to the other guests at the happy hour drinks in the evening as well.
Breakfast was continental and with a good range of options, all we needed.
Will stay here in this charming hotel when again in san francisco.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Ann M
Reviewed 20 February 2012

O.K. all you guys were right on. This place ruled!! Made us feel right at home and the evening wine was just the right touch.
Thanks inn at union square for adding to our enjoyable san fran weekend!!!

Room Tip: Back of the building (507 & 607) were way quiet
1  Thank gator-gator
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I really enjoyed my one night stay here during the first week of February. We had a room on the 5th floor, which is one of the floors where breakfast and the wine and cheese is served. Our room was second in from the elevator. The room was spotless and clean. It was quiet on this floor despite what other reviewers have said. We did look out on the wall of the next door building but we already knew this was going to be the case. We had enough light in the morning as we were higher up. It was not noisy and I am a light sleeper.The room had an overhead fan I think and kept the room at a good temperature. The king size bed was extremely comfortable. The room was a perfectly adequate size with enough room for a wardrobe, desk and armchair. The bathroom was spacious enough, just a shower no bath and stocked with Aveda products. All the staff who helped us were polite, friendly and helpful. We arrived way before check in and were able to leave our bags while we explored SF. The building is old and narrow but this wasn't a problem, even for my husband who is six foot and over 200 pounds. The extra touches like wine and cheese, turn down service with chocolates and water just added to the great experience. We arrived just as the wine and cheese was laid out and had our pick of complimentary wine, soda, water and cheese and other nibbly bits. The breakfast was beautifully presented with an array of pastries, juice and breads. I'm very picky about where I stay and I was most impressed with this hotel, I think it absolutely deserves the TripAdvisor rating. I personally don't like the downtown area of SF but if you are going shopping, the hotel is right there. Chinatown is an easy walk and the trolley, BART and buses are all really nearby too.

Room Tip: Choose the floors where the food is served if you want to have first pick and rooms higher up have m...
2  Thank seattle33