“My new favorite San Francisco hotel! Where have you been all my life?”

The Inn at Union Square - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #5 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 March 2012

In a world of pretention and exaggeration usually followed by disappointment and disillusion, the Inn at Union Square is a sweet surprise! For decades my preferred San Francisco hotel choice has been the St. Francis. But, for a recent girlfriend weekend, I decided to try something new. I was looking for a smaller and less hectic hotel near Union Square. Booking was easy and when I called to adjust my reservation prior to arrival, the person who answered the phone was happy to hear from me, as though I were traveling to the home of an old friend. I felt welcomed and I hadn’t even gotten there! At check-in which took only a few minutes, I learned that I’d been upgraded to a suite with a nice view of the St. Francis just across the street. The front desk person said that because I had friends staying in the hotel she was sure we needed a nice place to gather! I felt transported to a fine European hotel. The Inn is a narrow elegant 6-story property, easy to miss between gallery entrances but literally steps from Powell and Union Square. Despite being in the exact middle of the action, it maintains a romantic, cozy, and peaceful ambiance. The rooms are on one side of the hallways with a small dining/serving area on each floor. Breakfast every morning and wine tasting every evening is included. Since the breakfast room was very near my suite, I felt like I had access to my own kitchen where warm cookies awaited us every evening when we returned from dinner. Housekeeping was impeccable and timely; the entire hotel was immaculate and charming. The front desk staff was gracious, patient, knowledgeable about restaurants, shows, activities, and anything else we needed to know or do. Since it is a smaller hotel, they were not rushed or ever felt that we were imposing on their time. It was as if we were treasured guests and they were there to take care of us. This is a full service hotel but you swear you are in an elegant private villa in the middle of a large Italian city. My suite and the rooms of my friends felt spacious, the décor tasteful, the towels and linens expensive. I had two flat screen televisions and a great bathroom with just the right lighting. It was a small apartment where we gathered every morning and evening. I joined Stash, the loyalty program offered by the hotel, as I plan to make the Inn at Union Square MY hotel in San Francisco. I will recommend it to everyone I know though I kinda want to keep it to myself.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank sertp38
Write a ReviewReviews (1,692)

Reviewed 28 February 2012

This is a small, above-average hotel in a very convenient downtown location. It is not a luxury property but we found the hotel very quiet and pleasant and we would stay there again.
The breakfast was served daily (2 cold cereals, cold hard boiled eggs, bagels, selection of danish rolls, cinnamon rolls, oranges, apples, bananas, almond croissants, milk, OJ, caf and decaf coffee, a selection of teas). February 26, they had someone call in sick so the front desk manager was trying to cover the breakfasts on the 2nd and 5th floors while delivering newspapers and being available at the desk. He did the best that he could. I believe it was only a problem for guests in a hurry to leave who could not wait for him to catch up. The eating areas where food is served are quite small, but you can use their trays to take food to identical sitting areas on the other floors so it was not necessary to eat in one's room.
One evening, the "wine reception" was in a suite and featured pouring by a particular Sonoma winery. However, the other evenings the wine and cheese was served in the same two locations where breakfast is served. Few guests seemed to find or take advantage of it, but the wines were acceptable and the cheeses were very nice.
There is tea available in those small lounge areas at all hours. Cookies appear late in the evening.
The included wi-fi was fast enough for my smart phone. However, it is rather annoying to be required to log back in manually every time I wished to use it (even though I set the phone to remember and log in automatically).

Room Tip: The hotel is a narrow building. There are 7 rooms on each floor, numbered from front to back. The...
3  Thank Cmish
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I knew it was a small hotel but geeezzzz....the lobby is the size of a large bathroom....only one person works there. Our room was also very small, but comfortable. They promise you breakfast each day....we only got it once. It was very nice the first day...lots of small, but nice choices...muffins, bagels, scones OJ, cereal, hard boiled eggs....only one table in another very small area. The second morning was a disaster....only decaf coffee and one tiny croissant was available....what the heck? I called the front desk and was told someone called in sick. I felt terrible for the guy working....he was very nice and seemed embarrassed. They also had a nice wine setup the first night too....descent looking wine and several cheeses and crackers. The best thing I can say is the location is awesome and it was the quietest hotel I've ever stayed at.

Room Tip: Our view was a brick wall...not sure if all are that way or not.
4  Thank susiemcbride92124
IAUSManager, General Manager at The Inn at Union Square - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Inn at Union Square and for sharing your comments. We strive to provide every guest with an exceptional experience however it appears we fell short of that goal during your visit. We do our best to anticipate and mitigate issues before they affect our guests but were caught off guard by extenuating circumstances. Our sincere apologies that the issue effected your stay. We have reviewed this incident to ensure this will not repeat in the future. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review.

Kind Regards and Safe Travels,
Norbert Mede
Inn at Union Square

Reviewed 25 February 2012

We did not have any special deal, but simply reserved a room on the hotel website. It was not as expensive as I thought it would be for downtown San Francisco and I was pleasantly surprised by the care and attention shown by the entire staff from front desk, to bellman, to housekeeping.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank petarandreev
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Me an my husband stayed here for 3 weeks and I felt so much at home! Lovely helpful staff.
Very clean, free WiFi, lovely location what else do you need!

It was hard to leave the place...
I shall be back!

Best Wishes to The Inn at Union Square and each of the Staff Members!

Regards
Gauri Gupte

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank GauriMohile
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We had a nice time at the Inn. The rooms were a bit dated and the carpet is probably clean but looks like it needs a cleaning. The rooms are pleasent but I could see in the summer it would be a problem with no air conditioning. The rooms were too warm for me on a 70 degree day and we were on the 5th floor.
The wine and cheese and breakfasts were lovely and gave us a chance to meet other guests. The staff were lovely and everyone goes out of their way to be helpful. We had a couple small issues but they were taken care of quickly and efficiently.
The location is in the thick of everything.
Honestly this is more like a bed and breakfast. I felt like I was at my home away from home.

Room Tip: The 5th floor was nice with the wine and cheese and breakfast served right on that floor!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank corny
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The Inn was the perfect place to stay for our long weekend. The room was nice and cozy. The breakfast in the morning was a great way to start the day whether you want to grab a tray and enjoy a romantic breakfast in bed or getting something to take as you head out to explore. The early evening wine and cheese was the perfect way to start the evening and especially nice if you have late dinner plans and want a little snack.
Nestled right in the midst of union square, we walked to Chinatown, North Shore, and to the Wharf. Wonderful relaxing, romantic weekend. Would be my first choice to stay in SF again.

2  Thank Jill P