“California Anniversary Tour”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Rotherham UK
“California Anniversary Tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

Great location. As per previous reviews this hotel is small, but a great location that enabled us to sample a small piece of San Fransico action durng the limited amount of time that we had.
Our room was quiet spaceous, clean and well maintained.
Breakfast and their evening wine&nibbles provision was good, enabliing us to mix with other residents.

2 Thank Abbijoe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

This is our last day at the Inn... We are simply heart broken. Ahead of us many more hotels! When we decided to opt for "cosy" as opposed to large and impersonal, little did we expect how cosy and friendly this place really was! In our experience we have never encountered anything that goes even near. Our queen room was a treat, and as if all the smiles and help we received during our stay was not enough, they give everybody "free" wine and cheese every evening? Not to come back here would be a sin. A big thank you to all the staff for having made our stay in San Francisco a truly memorable experience.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ssulliman
santa ynez ca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

The lobby is smaller than most bathrooms, which makes checking in a nightmare when there are a group of folks trying to do the same. The rooms were clean but non-descript. Service was pleasant. Close to great restaurants and shopping. I would look to something more distinctive next time I am in the city.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank oliveoil50
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

I think my husband fell in love with Ann the moment she opened the door to welcome us, I didn't mind I did too. She is lovely and warm the perfect first impression for this wonderful tiny hotel. As others have said the lobby is small the hallways are narrow, which did concern us but with thoughts of Ann we continued on to find a well-appointed immaculate room. It’s not the largest we have been in but it was clearly well thought out. We found Aveda bath products, warm robes, our mattress comfortable and pillow topped, we were pleased and relieved. With Ann and Omar's help we used the 3 day Muni passes (good for Cable Car's too) and went from early morning back to the hotel for a recap with Omar or Ann and a rest then out again. We had 2 truly fabulous meals. Ann sent us to Bix an upscale speakeasy, which made us feel we were truly part of the City's nightlife. She also sent us to Quince where we had the best Italian meal of our lives (and we’ve been to Italy). We weren't around in the nighty wine and cheese but we did have a hardboiled egg and a strong Peet's coffee every morning before heading out (just two items from what I think was a very generous continental breakfast). We also were delighted to find cookies every night in the parlor on our floor and chocolates on our pillow at turndown, they of everything. This hotel is a hidden gem - where every staff member we encountered seemed to truly care about us and our well being. Thank you Ann, Omar, Josie, and all the staff members whose names I cannot recall but who made us feel so welcome, we will be back!

Room Tip: We were in a suite with a queen bed and sofa
3 Thank Pam B
Frisco, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

The main reason I selected this hotel is the location. To get to Yosemite I rented a car at SFO and returned it 5 days later to the car rental location on O'Farrell St. which is a 4 minute walk from the inn. The rest of our stay we used public transportation including the cable cars which was only a block and a half walk. Looking out my hotel room window I could see one end of Union Square and I looked directly at the Westin St. Francis (which I couldn't afford). For us the location couldn't be beat.

The inn itself is a narrow, older, attached building typical for SF. But it was clean and well managed. The front desk people were always helpful and courteous. Our 2 room suite was on the third floor with the living room looking out on Post St. which is a busy noisy road. But the bedroom was in the back away from the street. With the bedroom door closed we couldn't hear a thing including other rooms or guests. My wife is a very light sleeper and enjoyed the quiet. We has the best of both. We could look out the window and watch people walking down the street but close the bedroom door and sleep well.

The breakfast was pretty good and included hard boiled eggs, pastries,muffins, bagels, toast, coffee, juice... you get the idea. There was also wine & cheese in the afternoons and cookies in the evenings.

Overall I would not hesitate to stay here again. It is an older place but certainly not dated, simply pleasant & small with helpful staff in a terrific location.

Room Tip: 2 room suites in the front are noisier but the bedrooms are quiet.
3 Thank DaveFrisco_TX
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights this month. Stayed here because all the hotels were sold out in the city due to the us open golf tournament. Got lucky when calling here as someone had just cancelled their reservation. Staff was very, very nice. Nice room, comfortable bed. Continental breakfast was good each morning. Small eating area, so you have to take food back to your room. Did not take advantage of wine hour each night. No air conditioning in my room (just a ceiling fan). They offered to bring up a portable air conditioner, but at night it was not that bad so I did not bother with asking. Great location right next to union square. Morton's steakhouse offers delivery to the room (right next door). This hotel is a part of an independent rewards group called stash hotels. Never heard of that group before, but looks like a nice group of independent hotels.

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank swiper4
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

My spouse and I stayed here the 2nd week of June 2012 for five days. Before booking the room, I read the reviews for the hotel. Based on those reviews, we upgraded the room to a suite because my husband was attending a conference and needed a place to work. That upgrade worked out just fine.

When we arrived at the room, my spouse noted that the room interior looked a bit worn-out. My biggest problem was with the bathroom. I don't think it was cleaned when we arrived b/c we found soap scum from previous occupants around the sink area and a used shower cap. The bathrooms could use an update. The floor tiles in ours were cracked. The groat work around the sink and tub area was black. Also, I soaked in the tub after a hard day of hill walking and there was lots of visible black on the underside of soap dish and around the grab handles. Only one of the electric outlets in the bathroom worked. And finally, I had hot water for only 2 days, the rest of the time it was tepid.

I talked to the hotel staff about the water and it might be an issue of their water system. The staff did come and look at the situation. Upon check-out I informed them of the electrical outlet situation in the bathroom.

I

Room Tip: I agree with the others do not select a room around the breakfast areas on the 3rd & 5th floors...
3 Thank delbertgrady
, General Manager at The Inn at Union Square, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent visit to the Inn at Union Square. We appreciate your comments and feedback on your experience. We are very sorry to hear you found some housekeeping discrepancies and some hot water issues. We strive to provide every guest with an exceptional experience and it looks like we fell a little short of that goal and for that, except our sincerest apologies. We have reviewed the information with our dedicated and proud staff who have remedied the issues. Thank you again for your feedback as this is vital to improve our facility and services. We look forward to your return to the Inn at Union Square during your next trip to San Francisco.

Kind Regards and Safe Travels,