“Nice, well located small hotel”

The Inn at Union Square - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #4 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 July 2012

This was our first stay at this hotel and it was most satisfactory. The desk staff were all very nice and helpful. Free wi-fi was included in the rate as was breakfast and wine and cheese (I can't comment on these since we did not participate). The location can't be beat. The room was very clean but could use a bit of refurbishing. The bed was comfortable and amenities were good. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Our room was 605 and it was a suite with separate living room. It had two televisions and also had...
2  Thank Marcie L
IAUSManager, General Manager at The Inn at Union Square - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words in regards to your recent stay with us at the Inn. It would be our pleasure to accommodate you again and hope that next time you schedule allows you to participate in the wine and cheese hour.

Kind Regards and Safe Travels,

The Inn at Union Square Management & Staff

Reviewed 19 July 2012

I absolutely love this hotel! This is my first time traveling all alone, being in San Francisco, and staying at this hotel...and I am glad I did it! The concierge staff is amazing! So sweet, spunky, and helpful in every way! It's not a flashy hotel, not amazing views, small halls and lobby but with generously sizable rooms and excellent prices/ special offers. When calling this morning to request a late check out as to make it to a meeting in appropriate timing, the concierge was more than understanding; we shared a few good jokes and then he insisted on arranging for a cab and to have my bags brought down. I swear I will never stay in another hotel in San Fran besides the Inn at Union Square again.

Room Tip: I got the queen superior and it was excellent and for less money than any other hotels in the city!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We only stayed in San Francisco for about 24 hours, including a 1 night stay at The Inn at Union Square before heading to Sonoma. The inn is small, darling and perfect for a brief stay. Our room was well appointed and small, which I was expecting, but also quite lovely and comfortable. So easy to get on the trolley just steps away from the hotel. It is also just a few steps from Union Square. There are a ton of restaurants of all types and price ranges within a few blocks. The staff was super friendly and helpful; they had great recommendations for restaurants and called us a cab to take us to the car rental place, and even gave advice on how much to expect to pay for cab fare. I requested a quiet room and a foam pillow when I booked online and those requests were fulfilled perfectly. The continental breakfast was just enough for us and we loved that it was complimentary/included. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: request a quiet room when you book online.
2  Thank kcpt1112
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We were upgraded to a two room apartment which had a bedroom and a living area - . pullout sofa if needed. Rooms are not large but adequate for a pleasant stay. Our room was conveniently located near the kitchen where breakfast was served from 7am-10. It was a very good quality with a wide assortment of choices. In the evening from 5-7pm we were surprised and enjoyed free wine tasting with crackers and cheeses. Late in the evenings there was also fresh cookies served. Staff were pleasant and helpful and they made you feel at home.

Hotel is very conveniently located next to Union Square. I would not recommend a car - valet parking is $36.00/day and the hotel is in walking distance to most amenities. Cabs are not unreasonably priced either and there are plenty of them.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

With only 30 rooms, the Inn at Union Square is quiet and private even though it's just steps from Union Square. On several floors a small lobby exists where breakfast, afternoon tea, and cocktails are offered daily to guests free of charge. Personnel go out of their way to be helpful. I've stayed here twice and will definitely stay again on my next visit to San Francisco.

Room Tip: Ask to be ungraded to a suite for more room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This place was great! Why stay across the street at the Westin when you can stay here! Great room, wonderful breakfast, great evening wine reception. I felt like I was staying at someone's home and not a stuffy hotel. Super location right in the heart of everything San Francisco. Wonderful Staff too!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Some history. In July 2010, my early-20's daughter and I stayed in San Francisco for four nights as part of a two-week California trip. I selected the Inn at Union Square primarily for its location and the availability of complimentary breakfast. I was not disappointed! The clean, cozy room was quiet with a comfortable bed enhanced by incredibly soft sheets. Lighting in the bathroom area was excellent. Breakfast choices were sufficient for us. We also enjoyed the evening wine and snacks time, cookies and chocolates before bed, and friendliness and helpfulness of the front desk staff. Walking or accessing public transportation to reach our various city destinations was simple. For June 2012, I planned a three-night visit to San Francisco. No hesitation on my part where we would be staying. The Inn at Union Square was ideal again in every aspect.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family