“Felt really special staying here”
Review of Hotel Majestic

Hotel Majestic
Ranked #120 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 11 June 2011

Beautiful original wooden Victoria era hotel.Beautiful room with a Queen size four poster bed with swags and a canopy on top.Bay window overlooking Sutter St. But quiet enough,especially at night. Old beautiful furniture,new carpet. Window Blinds had seen better days and needed replacing,but there was no one to look in anyway. Room could be a bit stuffy,but one of the windows would open Wi fi was $7 for thie complete stay there and was fast. No breakfast,no coffee making equipment, (I always have mt own little cup immersion heater anyway) no breakfast,so be warned, but a great comfy olde worlde room.Bus runs from downtown,Union Square, and down again in the next street because of one way system every 10 minutes.
It is not exactly central,but with a 7 day bus pass,not a problem

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Lee K

Reviewed 4 June 2011

This hotel is for those who can take or leave modern amenities. It’s not rugged by any means, and we were comfortable, but not able to sustain some basic routines such as coffee before 7 a.m. and thermostat control. (Sorry for the run-on, but it does seem to work.) There is no AC, which would have been ok on the lower floors, but we had to relocate upstairs due to traffic just below the windows in our corner room. The room was beautiful overall, but the furnishings are worn…holes in much of the upholstery. It made me sad. There is an odor in the hotel that is notable.

The employees were very kind (particularly Francisco…no kidding!) and brought fans to keep us cool. As sweet as the staff is, I wonder about the owner. I picked up the thought that the owner is not investing in the hotel as he should. If someone does not do some serious refurbishing work, this landmark may deteriorate beyond repair.

Some $$ caveats: Watch out for the water and sodas in the mini fridges. Nowhere, and I mean nowhere, is it posted there is a $3.00 charge for these. Perhaps we should have asked. Parking is $25 daily! We could not find room on the streets as some have mentioned. Internet was a $7 one-time fee.

Room Tip: Corner rooms get two streets of traffic noise.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mrslorirogers
Reviewed 22 April 2011

My husband and I had a fabulous stay at the Majestic! We had read some reviews that it was a little run down and some that it had a strange smell. We wanted to report that there was no smell, and you have to take the "little run down" statement with a grain of salt! The building is OLD! The architecture was gorgeous, everything was clean and the dining room was such a lovely place after the hubub of the city. We had an amazing breakfast served by Michael who was such a professional! (My husband waits tables as well, so we're kind of connoisseurs!) Overall, a great stay and we're definitely planning to stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sabine_707
Reviewed 1 April 2011

The stay at the hotel was lovely however BEWARE of the hotel valet services. Not only was my vehicle damaged with dents and scratches to the door, it has now been 30 days of communicating with the owners to have this outstanding issue resolved. Very unprofessional with not providing an insurance company or the driver's license of the valet who damaged the vehicle.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2011

I certainly wish that the staff of the Hotel Majestic would have used photos of our room to peddle their hotel. We were very aware that this is an old hotel, but at least they could update the bedding and at the very least, steam clean the carpet. What a shame. When I made my reservation , I told the front desk that my wife and I were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary. I didn't expect any special treatment but I at least hoped for a room like the ones used for their website. Our bed spread had a fist sized hole right smack in the middle of it, there we no attempts to conceal it from guests. The carpet had MULTIPLE stains throughout the room (No exaggeration), The bed was as hard as a rock, The floor to our room literally sloped at an angle due to aging of the structure, faceplates were missing to the tv's electrical outlet, which exposed wiring (unsafe). As for the staff, the desk clerk was less than enthusiastic when greeting us.

Some may say that I'm being unfair by not leting them know. I didn't want the aggrivation to interefere with our special weekend so we toughed it out. Either way, anyplace that calls itself a hotel should never have to ask to make it right, they should get it right the first time. I could go on but my fingers are getting tired.

Oh well, I won't be back.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank danthetrvlr
Reviewed 8 December 2010

The hotel is in a good location and just a few blocks walk from public transport. The staff are friendly however the hotel is extremely old, i didnt realise how old it was when i booked it. One of the down sides is that some of the windows did not have locks on them or fly wire and i did not feel overly safe. Overall the hotel is clean and good for a simple room.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank a__harris90
Reviewed 2 December 2010

Not only was the location perfect, but the Victorian hotel was comfortable, clean, and the service was great! The Butterfly Bar in the hotel is very interesting as it has a unique butterfly collection. And the rates were the best we have ever found in San Francisco!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple