“Wow, what a hotel!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Aberdeen, Scotland
“Wow, what a hotel!”
Reviewed 1 July 2011

We selected this Marriott hotel after someone recommended it to us on the TA forums and what a great recommendation it was! Our first impression upon entering the hotel was ‘wow’ and we seemed to repeat it quite often during out week’s stay.

Check-in was a breeze and the ladies on the front desk were very friendly and efficient. There was a slight problem with the room type allocated but the ladies changed it without hesitation to the one we were after. Indeed, I was really impressed with one of the ladies who actually remembered my name when we stopped by to check something out later on in the week – that has never happened to me before!

The lifts in the hotel are very different from any others in that you can watch the floors rise/fall as you go up/down because they are glass lifts. It did take a bit of getting used to!

Our room was on the 11th floor overlooking Mason Street. The room was massive! A large bed with a sitting area to the side, a large desk with a comfy chair and the large flat screen TV. And a big plus from other Marriott hotels we’ve stayed at – firm pillows!!! The air con worked very well and you barely heard it working. The bathroom was massive too with a separate shower although it would have been better if the shower head hadn’t been fixed to the wall. I liked the toiletries that were in the bathroom, the moisturiser especially since I didn’t take any with me – and no, you didn’t have to pay for them!

As for those who have mentioned noise – yes you heard the odd fire engine pass but it wasn’t loud enough to really cause any major hassles. I can’t say we heard any other noises from either the street or the atrium given the way the hotel is laid out.

The concierge lounge was a great place to go for breakfast or somewhere to go in the evening either pre/post evening meal. The ladies were very friendly and helpful especially the one on in the morning. And the view from the lounge earned another ‘wow’ from us too!

We ate at the bar a couple of nights - that mac & cheese was absolutely delicious! The bar staff were very friendly to you as were the restaurant staff the night we ate there, so much so they used to come up and chat to us when we were sitting in the bar having a drink. I wouldn’t say that either the bar or the restaurant was over-priced.

The location of the hotel was great – just minutes away from Union Square and the main shopping zone of the city. We took the recommendation of the concierge for a meal in Chinatown and wasn’t disappointed. The bell-boys were super efficient in getting taxi’s when they were needed and were always ready with a warm smile when you returned back to the hotel.

I’d more than recommend this hotel to anyone – it’s the first time we’d stayed at a JW but it probably won’t be the last if the standards of the JW San Francisco is anything to go by!

1 Thank ne_quine
DCollings, General Manager at JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square, responded to this review, 19 July 2011
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay at the JW Marriott San Francisco!
You certainly seemed to have the opportunity to experience all of the great areas
of our hotel as well as the great areas of San Francisco! Thank you for taking the time
to tell us all about it and we are so glad you enjoyed your visit. We look forward to having you visit us again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
West Jordan, Utah
Reviewed 22 June 2011

We check in to the JW Marriott for a 3 night stay with our two teenagers. I had reqeusted a high floor and was put on the 6th floor. The woman that checked us in was pretty cold. The hotel is nice and clean. Great location for seeing the sight in San Francisco. The beds were soft and was great for a good nights sleep. However, with being on the 6th floor, we heard all of the street noices for most of the night. That does not happen in most Marriott hotels. As this was not build as a Marriott in the first place, that may be a factor for the noice as it is an older hotel. The concierge was great and gave us some great tips for seeing the city.

Note that parking is 48.00 per night plus tax. That is the going rate for parking this area of San Francisco. At check out the front desk agent informed us that we could have parked our car across the street for a bit less. He was very helpful and wished he would have been on duty when we checked in.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank SLC-MLBF
DCollings, General Manager at JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square, responded to this review, 23 June 2011
Thank you for staying at the JW---so glad you enjoyed the comfortable room and great location to Union Square. Come see us again and we will do our best to have you experience one of our rooms on the higher floors!
Reviewed 21 June 2011

We recently stayed at the Marriott during a stopover and to be by near the Union Square area for a day of shopping. When we reserved the room, we chose the most expensive available online and thought it seemed like a good value. They made a big deal about their designer lobby and lounge and we thought it was worth a try. Our overall experience was quite a let down.
The room itself felt like a lifeless box. There was something about plug sockets built into the headboard that was disturbing. The colors were bland and it was basically a bed, desk and TV. In fact, the room seemed to be built around this big flat screen TV, as if that was the only important detail to them.
It was a standard room and probably meant for the business traveler. I did not sleep well, probably because my pillows were very lumpy. The hairdryer was awful and started to burn my fiancee's hair.
We paid to store the car for a day, which was $50. Since we were only staying for one night, we asked the front desk if it would be alright to leave the car while we shopped. She said we had already paid for a full day's rate and would be fine. When we went to pick up the car, they asked for an additional $15, since we arrived at 5:30pm, even though we arrived around 7pm the night before. After 5pm it turned to an hourly rate, which was not explained to us. There was little point arguing and simply something to be expected at a hotel such as this. Overall it was not what we were expecting.

5 Thank SSERET
Thank you so much for taking the time to share the feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am very sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations. Our rooms are suited very well for the business traveler, but we strive to make them just as comfortable for our guests traveling on leisure. I invite you to contact us directly to discuss further and hope we have the opportunity to have you visit us again.
Fairfield, Ohio
Reviewed 14 June 2011

After reading some of the reviews here, I was prepared for a so-so stay at the JW. I'm glad to report that I had an above-average stay. I was in town for business only for 3 days, taking a red eye back to the East Coast on my final day.

When I arrived, the taxi let me off on the street instead of pulling into the main area. This caused trouble for me because I was in a walking boot for my foot. However, the bellman saw me getting out and was quick to offer his help with my luggage. He greeted me warmly and told me where to check in. He would meet me upstairs with my luggage (he took a separate elevator than the glass enclosed ones).

Check in was somewhat slow. It was near noon and there was only one person on staff. The person was doing his best to be efficient yet friendly. I asked for a room near the elevator (which I had requested when I originally booked the room) and he assured me that my room was close. I was on the 7th floor.

As previous reviewers noted, all the rooms open up to the atrium. However, in the three days I stayed there, I did not have an issue with the noise from the bar and restaurant below.

My room was a nice size for a downtown San Francisco hotel. It was clean and smelled fresh. One reviewer commented about the pay-for-bath amenities, but this wasn't the case in my room.

The concierge lounge was nice and the food was above par for a lounge. The staff was efficient.

I ate at the bar several times and had excellent service. Yes, things were priced high but the food was good and the was a nice variety.

The location of the hotel, as others have mentioned, is excellent. I only wish I was more able-bodied to enjoy it!

I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Belasaria
Thank you so much for being our guest at the JW Marriott San Francisco. We are delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy our large, comfortable rooms; and enjoy the beautiful bar area for some of your dining. Our Culinary team really create some wonderful items for all to enjoy.
Hope to see you again soon!
san diego
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Perfect location and beautiful hotel. The service was great. The views were awesome. The hotel has a modern decor. Comfortable beds and flat screen TV. It is across the street from an amazing breakfast place and great sushi. The parking is pricey but the hotel is close enough to everything to not really need a car.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ismarylinares
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 11 June 2011

THE STAFF:
I have an elite status with the hotel & had booked the room directly with them.
I had requested 2 double beds & a roll away. When we arrived at the hotel they gave us the smallest room with a king size bed & no roll away . Was to tired after a 16 hour flight to change rooms & get into arguements.
The concierge of the hotel was trying to coax us to take a limo 55$ /hr for sight seeing & even told us there are not sight seeing buses/ tours that he knows of, the same thing was repeated the the lobby staff.
The staff in the lobby is very rude & cold . Since I am an elite member was allowed complimentary water & soda from the gift shop located on the lobby level . The lobby staff behaved in a very unprofessional manner whenever we wanted complementary
beverages.

LOCATION:
The best thing about the hotel is the location, is a block away from union sq.

ROOMS:
The rooms are old & need to be redone . The windows are very old air & noise seep through them. Basic amenities like room slippers were not present in the room.

MISC:
The lounge on the top floor is closed on fridays & saturdays.

The Westin which a stones throw from this property is a way better deal for a similar price. I think the marriot group has a lot to learn from the sheraton group of hotels regarding hospitality.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Diamantaire
Oregon, WI
Reviewed 9 June 2011

The JW Marriott delivered what one expects forma 5 star SF hotel. The room, guest services, check-in, was all first class. The location is prime for theater, restaurants and public transportation. We'll come back for our next stay in San Francisco.

1 Thank worldadventurers