“My favorite place to stay for business in SF”

JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square
Ranked #64 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles
“My favorite place to stay for business in SF”
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I fly up to San Francisco frequently for business and have my choice of hotels. I've tried every major brand, all of the "famous" old hotels, and some small boutique spots as well over the past 15+ years, but the JW Marriott is my favorite. A quick cab ride to the courthouses and any other business you have to do in the city. The rooms are well appointed and have a modern decor (but not "too hip" like the "W") -- all up to the standards that you've come to expect from this brand. The desk is large, has plenty of outlets, and the internet/wifi never fails me. There's hardly a "lobby" to speak of, but I actually prefer that if I'm in town for business. I always order a full breakfast via room service and I've yet to be disappointed with the quality of the food or the prompt service. When you're done with work, you can stretch your legs and walk around to see the sights, check out the restaurants, and shop. There is an amazing Italian restaurant a few blocks away that I go to each time for linguine w/clams -- of course I can't remember the name, but the concierge can tell you.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
California
Reviewed 24 January 2012

The hotel is located a few minutes walking distance to the famous Union Square, where you can jump a trolley & head to the famous Fisherman's Wharf. There is plenty of shopping venues and great restaurants as well. The staff is top notch (I reckon they have to be due to the location). The conference rooms are above average.

Room Tip: Do not walk in the direction of the "Tenderloing district" at night by yourself! This is w...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank LatinaGlobeTrotter
Tiburon, California, United States
Reviewed 23 January 2012

From the moment you drive up, you are showered with kind, caring and helpful service. The staff here are anxious to be at your service. They love working there, and it really shows. This hotel is a well-located, hidden gem. It's low-profile on the outside, but gorgeous on the inside. Timeless decor and a spacious, elegant lobby make for an amazing ambiance. It's spotless too. We live in Marin, but wanted a calm, get-away weekend. This fit the bill perfectly. The Level 3 Restaurant was amazing. The seafood chowder was the best soup I've ever had, and the mac 'n cheese was world class. The best part was our room, the Pacific Suite. It was a comfy home away from home. Price was more than reasonable. You can't go wrong. My congratulations to the management for a job well done!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
DCollings, General Manager at JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Thank you very much for your review, and we are delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations and that you had a fabulous weekend in San Francisco. I am so glad that you had a chance to experience the wonderful food at our Level III restaurant - it is truly a hidden gem of "culinary treats". We can't wait to have you back at the JW Marriott San Francisco!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We spent 3 nights at JW Marriott in San Francisco. I read reviews of this hotel, as I usually do on Tripadvisor and had some concerns about noise level, but decided to try. This hotel was former Pan Pacific at the corner of Post and Mason, there is another Marriott on Sutter, a block away. I always request high floor and stayed on 18th with city view.
The lobby on the third floor and the property has gone through renovation and it is well done. Reviews on Tripadvisor complained about small bathrooms, but all marble bathroom was sufficient in all respect, bed was comfortable and noise problem was not an issue. I think I heard a siren once during my stay and as far as hearing people on the street below, never had any problem. They do charge $49 plus tax for parking, but unfortunately that is the going rate parking in San Francisco with in and out privilege. You can park in Union Square parking for $34 per night, but no in and out, so if you want to stay in the city, you will have to endure the cost. San Francisco has a wonderful transportation system, so if you are staying in city center, take the Bart to Powell Street station and use public transportation to avoid expensive parking fee.
I did not dine at the hotel, but with so many places near by, no need to pay expensive hotel prices for mediocre food. I stopped at St Francis Hotel Lobby for 2 glasses of wine and one plate of appetizer and the tab plus tip was $54!!! There is no views, just mob of tourists roaming around the hotel to look see, none guest type. My suggestion for a cocktail is top of the Hyatt in Union Square with a commanding view of the city is much nicer, especially for sunset and it's cheaper. One other experience to share; I originally booked for two nights and when I decided to extend by one additional night, I was told the hotel was booked and they can accommodate me for $279 rate. I sat down with my Laptop and searched for the same hotel and to my surprise, I was able to confirm $ 169 senior rate for the same day? The moral of this experience is don't take no for an answer! The location can not be beat half a block to Powell street cable cars.

Room Tip: Room 1813 corner room with city view.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bento2744
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Terribly disappointed in this hotel. I have stayed at a lot of Marriotts all over the world and this is the worst experience with the chain. The only king size bed room they had for us was in a handicap room which was set up really weird so that threw us off. I had booked my room months in advance so they must have given our regular room to someone else. Then they charge for every little thing: Parking is over $50/night (close to 60 with tax), internet in the room is $14/night, yet the convention rate for this hotel is well over $200/night. They have wifi set up, they should be offering it free in the room. C'mon! And it runs noon to noon, so if you sign up in the early morning you don't even get a full 24 hours for your $14! Same with parking. It isn't 24hrs from when you park, but from 5:00. I expect a bit more from Marriott, especially a J.W. Marriott. The rooms aren't spectacular and even up on the 14th floor I could hear street noise. Even in the business center they charge you by the minute. I stayed across the street last time at the Donatello for about $100 less a night and got free internet and a lounge with hot drinks and a nice view. They do have a good work out room.
The fireplace in the lobby area is nice. You can find better hotels with more amenities in San Francisco for this price and cheaper. This is a huge rip off and I would never stay here again. Sorry Marriott, I was a fan but you should have been a bit nicer. At least offer coffee in the morning! Sheesh.

Room Tip: Don't get the handicap accessible room. Thought it would be okay, but because of the bathroom an...
1 Thank Terry A
UK
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I spent the best part of week at this hotel and have stayed here numerous times.

Hotel is clean throughout
Rooms are good and the beds/linen are really comfortable.
I used the gym quite a lot, which is a bit basic and small - but does the job

It is noisy though.
There always seems to be digging or incredibly loud banging outside between 3am and 5am most mornings
This may be just being in San Fran though

Bar is good. Food isnt that inspiring but there are so many restaurants about...

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 January 2012

First the good news;

The location of the JW Marriott is excellent. Close to Union Square, with lots of good restaurants nearby, shops galore and easy access to transportation.

The rooms are a very good size, well appointed, clean and well maintained. The bathroom was quite large and the bed was as always, very comfortable.

The service from front of house through room service to housekeeping was polite and efficient. So far, so good!

Then there is the variability.

Breakfast; over the four days I was there, the breakfast never arrived with what I had ordered. Coffee was missing, no hot milk, no silverware, no juice but juice turned up when I hadn’t ordered it! Oh and newspaper two days out of four!

TV; HD channels worked great ... everything else looked like a dust storm had blown across the screen making everything pretty much invisible.

Elevators; there was one particular “rogue elevator” whose work ethic appeared questionable. It was in and out of service or would just sit on the ground floor and hum gently to itself as its passengers stood inside waiting for it to get off the ground. Add to that the fact that the wait time for an elevator was about the same as a London bus on a wet Friday afternoon!

Internet; sometimes fast and instant connection. Two days unable to connect!

The explanation (I think) for the variability was due to the fact that there was a major conference taking place at the St. Regis and the JW Marriott just seemed to get overwhelmed.

So, not bad, just oddly off key!

Room Tip: For breakfast go two blocks to Lori's Diner on O'Farrell or Sutter. The corned-beef has is...
1 Thank The_bald_gourmet
Thank you so much for taking the time to share the feedback regarding your stay with us. I am very sorry to hear that we did not live up to your expectations, and invite you to contact us directly to discuss further. We have a good variety of room types and I am sure we can find the
right fit for you in the future. Thank you for your patronage and I hope you will give us a chance to serve you again.