“Good hotel, great location”

JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square
Ranked #65 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Good hotel, great location”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Only good not great because it still has only single glazing and when windy and cold outside you notice it and the noise kept us awake at times. Otherwise really really excellent, well equipped rooms and staff. Food good - not wildly sophisticated but you can go to so many local places. Union Square one short block away with all the shops, cable car stop. We were surprised that the Concierge was not on duty on a Saturday evening. Valet parking expensive and not on site so you can't go back to get anything easily. We used the public car park across the street and it worked fine and was half the price.

Room Tip: We wanted quiet, the hotel recommended we ask for a room away from the night clubs - the single gla...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Midlands
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

I liked this hotel. Yes, it's a Marriott, and you know what you're going to get. But here (as I was on business and my wife on vacation), it was good for both of us. She could go shopping, ride the trams, go to prison (joke), and could use one of their (excellent) meeting rooms for the things I had to do.

Hotel staff helpful as always.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We had not stayed in this area of the city in many years and had never stayed at any of the SF Marriotts. Both were a happy surprise. The hotel was about 4 blocks from the Powell Street BART station making it an easy walk if coming in from SFO. The location was also well served by public transportation. Our room was well appointed, spotless, quiet, and comfortable. The breakfast included in our rate had a wide range of items from truly decadent croissants and pastries to heart healthy fare. During our stay, the lobby bar had a singer in the early evening with many people listening and having a cocktail –– a very friendly vibe. The staff members with whom we interacted were knowledgable, helpful, and professional. Overall, we were very pleased with the hotel and everything about it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Westmount, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2014

For over $500/night for a basic room, I expected more.

The JW Marriott was in a convenient location. The room was clean, sizeable and comfortable. However, this was not the standout hotel I thought it might be, especially given the pricetag.

Here are some things to watch for (in no particular order):

- Elevator was slow. The single elevator bank from the street level entrance to the 3rd floor lobby and all the guest room floor seemed overloaded at times. There was also no good alternative to get from the street level to the lobby, which might have helped.

- Service in lobby bar was courteous but not quick. The live music was nice (if a bit loud), but it took awhile to flag down a waitress to take our order, then a bit of additional time for our drinks and food to arrive.

- The conceirge desk was helpful enough, but not always staffed. It was not able to get us our first choice in restaurant reservations either.

- Watch out for which bottle of water you drink in the room. The plastic bottles under the bathroom sink are complementary. The glass bottles by the bed (which I saw first) are pricey.

This was a good hotel...it just wasn't great. As a one-time Marriott Rewards Platinum member, I perhaps expected a bit too much having stayed at some truly outstanding Marriott properties that were better value for dollar.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
alex9297, Director of Hotel Operations at JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear HNLYULCDG,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square.

You indicated that your experience was unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

NASSER MOBARAK
Direct of Hotel Operations
JW Marriott San Francisco
nasser.mobarak@marriott.com
415.929.2088
New London, Connecticut
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We had a suite overlooking the city. Absolutely great views, and the staff were impeccable. I've stayed at Marquis As well as JW and I must say I personally enjoy the JW more. Great concierge lounge and the guy working during our stay was very knowledgeable of local restaurants, and attractions. Thank you for the great visit as always.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Unclesogg
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

I am staying at the JW Marriott in September this year I rang today to ask a couple of questions about the area and could not believe how lovely the concierge was to me . Her name is Darlene and she could not do enough to help me with my inquiries as I am from Australia she said she would send me an email on a few thing I asked and 10 minutes later there it was my Email from Darlene
Going off my experience today with Darlene I can tell my stay at the JW Marriott is going to be fantastic
Thank you Darlene you are awesome at your Job

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My colleagues all booked at the SF Marriott Marquis but I got the overflow to the JW. What a nice upgrade. The room was very comfortable, and the bathroom was huge, with separate shower and tub.
The location is quite central, about 2 blocks from Union Square and about a 10-minute walk over to the convention center.
The butler/"at your service" button was different. I liked the concept of being able to have them come assist me at my beck and call, but it really would be faster to be able to go get my own ice. I appreciated the free water bottle in the room (in the bathroom, not the more expensive one on the counter).
I will note that the concierge was too quick to direct me to a specific restaurant when I said what type of food we were considering. She didn't ask about price range, etc.
No swimming pool available and I didn't check the health club facilities.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business