“Great hotel, and location”

JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square
Ranked #65 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Langley City, Canada
“Great hotel, and location”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Hotel was very nice, staff very helpful. Gold level lounge isn't up to par with other hotels we've stayed at, but good.
Came back to our hotel one night to find other peoples luggage in our room which was kind of disturbing, as we didn't know if the people had been in our room our it was fault of staff. Turns out it was the latter, which they admitted, but still shouldn't have happened.
They are great about late check outs, and concierge was super helpful.
Some great restaurants within walking distance and not far to the heart of union square and other areas.

Room Tip: All the rooms in this hotel are perimeter rooms, meaning there are none in the middle. The whole mid...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank artsyshell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
new york
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights while attending a conference at the convention center. Its in a fun, safe neighborhood thats easy to walk to most neighborhoods. And one of the best concierge lounges Ive ever visited. Its a busy, well lit hotel with a great atrium. The convention center is maybe a ten minute walk, china town is close by as is the trolly which is so fun that I took it 3X because it was so fun.

Room Tip: I had a hgh floor corner which was great. The showers are very small but fine.
1 Thank nancylovestraveling
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This trip was a combined business and leisure trip. From the time I got to the front door of this hotel to the time I checked out, I have experienced nothing but great service from ALL of the staff that I've encountered. From the doormen, to the front desk staff, to the room service personnel, I have gotten a lot of courtesy and friendliness. I've always had a great experience in all of the hotels I've stayed at in San Francisco but I can say without a doubt that JW Marriott in Union Square is one of the best I've stayed at.

The room I had was just amazing! It had a lot of amenities, especially in the bathroom. Speaking of which, I love the design and layout of the bathroom (I've always liked the concept of the shower separate from the bathtub). The bed was a California King and had more than enough - and may I add very comfortable - pillows than I needed. Suffice it to say that I've slept well on the five nights that I've stayed here. I always like having ample desk space for my laptop, paperwork and other devices while I work, and this hotel did not disappoint. There was an abundance of restaurants and retail stores nearby (Macy's is just one block away). My favorite coffeehouse, Starbucks, had a store just about 1 1/2 blocks away from the hotel. The only (albeit minor) downside I noticed was the hotel didn't have discounted parking for guests.

Would I stay again at this hotel? You bet! I have a few hotel reward memberships, including Marriott Hotel Rewards, but I may just focus my future hotel stays within the Marriott chain!

Room Tip: The hotel is situated in the middle of other buildings, so I'm not sure there would be any amazi...
Green Features: There are signs in the bathroom asking guests to help the hotel be more environmental friendly by re-using towels if they want. I really like that it was encouraged but not enforced.
1 Thank TravelGal9876
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 June 2014

The constant positive greetings at the front door, helpful check-in and out staff, extremely helpful concierge, and clean well appointed room made this one of the best San Francisco stays ever. The location for almost everything you'd want to see and do could not be better. I would recommend this hotel for anyone that wanted a great value and good time in San Francisco.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 668burtonb
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Really enjoyed the property.Easy walk to union square,close to shopping,restaurants etc.Check in was flawless,room was decent and comfortable.The lounge on 21st floor has a nice view and is great place for a quiet pre dinner drink and appetizers.

Room Tip: Lounge is on 21..we were on 20 so it was an easy walk up the stairs.
Point Pleasant, NJ
Reviewed 12 June 2014

If you are a shopper this is the place to be, if not, public transportation is also right there. You can't go wrong there. However, the staff was really just okay, not overly friendly or helpful, I would even say occasionally snippy in the concierge lounge. Also, when we were leaving after our week's stay, the doorman/bellhop tried to steer us to a more expensive private car (not even a nice Towncar, just privately owned) rather than a taxi for our trip back to the airport. That's something I have NEVER seen at a Marriott and would suspect it is something they could get fired for.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mary P
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here for two nights and were really impressed with the location. The hotel sits just a few steps from Union Square and some of the best shopping San Francisco has to offer. We stayed over the weekend and found that the prices are extremely reasonable relative to the other hotels in the area. If you have stayed at JW before you will find that all of the amenities are inline with what you would expect for this chain. As part of that, you will find that the breakfast and the evening snack/desserts are comparable to what you will find at a $25-$30 per head meal in the neighborhood.

When searching for a upscale hotel at a reasonable price, the JW is a great option.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple