“A Very Good City Centre Hotel”

JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square
Ranked #66 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“A Very Good City Centre Hotel”
Reviewed 13 September 2010

We chose this hotel for its location and the fact that it had recently been renovated. We were not disappointed.
We were told that we should have stayed at the Palace, but we disagree.
And a very good Ceasar Salad in the restaurant.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 5 September 2010

the place is clean and accessible to everything that i need

Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 3 September 2010

I was greatly surprised. Originally I was skeptical about staying in a Marriott given all the other boutique hotels in the same area. We found our room to be a quiet sanctuary from busy, noisy, fun Union Square. Super comfy bed with wonderful built in features (reading lamps and side tables). Clean bathroom. The hotel was remodeled less than a year ago - very fresh decor throughout. Fantastic location, too. Only thing missing was free internet service. Very easy base throughout our 3-day stay. We will stay here again!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Just trying to find the lobby to check in is a hassle. Once we did, we found little things didn't work like the in room safe and the remote for the television. We went out to get lunch and stopped by the reception and informed them of the situation (hotels have problems, but how they fix it separated to fine hotels from the also rans). The concierge was not in(actuall never saw the concierge behind the concierge desk) and was told to go to the reception desk for help. They unfortunately did not have a clue as to what was around them for lunch or dinner and sent us in the wrong direction (thank god for Frommers). When we returned to the room around six hours the problems where not fixed and when we called the reception they sent someone up who forgot. We were on the ninth floor and could hear the street clearly which is not good at 2 in the morning when you are trying to sleep (I guess they don't know about double panes in the windows to keep the sound out). When I tried the in room coffee, the smell that came out was mildew. I just gave up and said that I was only here for 2 days. The only good part was the waiter (Micheal) who waited on us at the bar. As for the room, I think I'll try Best Western next time; at least I can get these problems and pay a lot less.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
AshfordAM, General Manager at JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square, responded to this review, 2 September 2010
Thank you very much for your comments and for staying at the JW Marriott San Francisco. I am so sorry to hear about the difficulties you had. I would very much like to learn more about this so we can make improvements on our end. I am, however, very glad to see you had a great experience with Michael at the bar, and will certainly pass this on to him!
Covina, CA
Reviewed 17 August 2010

We arrived early at about 1:30pm and were offered a room right away with no hesitations. We were given a room on the 8th floor (#801 no view) but that's ok since I was happy I got checked in early. The room was clean, modern, with a nice size TV. The bathroom was big with plenty of counter space and the usual amenities. We ordered room service that evening - clam chowder, pizza, and couple of hot chocolates - and it was better than expected. It was expensive but that's usually the case with room service. The beds were very comfortable and the noise was minimal. Because of the open lobby surrounded by the rooms, you do hear some buzz but nothing too disturbing. I had good night sleeps both nights. The staff was extremely friendly, even though the hotel structure seems pretentious, the staff was definitely customer service oriented and made us feel welcomed. I accidentally had moved things around the mini fridge (before deciding to order room service) and was later listed on my bill. I was expecting to fully explain myself at check out to avoid the extra charges, but the gentleman who helped me apologized for the sensitive motion sensors on the fridge and removed the charges right away. The location of this hotel was also great and conveniently located one block away from Union Square. If you're driving in, like I did from L.A., there's a parking structure accross the street which charges about $28 per day (w/in and out priveleges). I parked my car and never used it until I was ready to go home but the parking structure is literally steps away from the hotel entrance so there's no need to have paid the $45 valet parking at the hotel. All I can say is great rooms, great service, great location, with great service!

• Stayed August 2010
4 Thank adri1493
DCollings, General Manager at JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square, responded to this review, 6 October 2010
Thank you for staying with us and I am delighted that you found our location to be perfect - we
are indeed quite fortunate to be only one block to Union Square! I am also glad that you enjoyed the treats from room service!
North Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 15 August 2010

I had originally booked on Expedia at another hotel located near Union Square. Somehow that hotel got overbooked and we were bumped to the JW Marriott. The room we were given at the JW was very comfortable and accommodating. The room and bathroom were clean and the view was incredible.

I was staying in San Francisco for the Bay to Breakers race and wanted to eat something small before running the race in the morning. I decided to order room service so I could eat something light without a big hassle. I left the room service menu on the door early in the evening, however, it was never picked up, so I never received any breakfast. In addition, while I was off running the race, my partner was attempting to use the internet, but the connection provided over the TV would not work. They eventually took the charge for the TV internet off, but I was forced to purchase the more expensive wireless service just to get some service.

The hotel could definitely use some improvements to their services, especially for the money we spent. I wouldn't rule the hotel out when staying in San Francisco, but it wouldn't be my first choice if I found something else comparable.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
North Carolina
Reviewed 5 August 2010

This was not what I expect from JW Marriott. I have stayed at them around the world, and this was by far the worst.

1. Needs updating: you can tell it is really old. The hallway rugs, the room rugs, the exterior (from the exterior, it looks like a holiday inn).

2. Noise: On each floor, there is an open middle that you can look down to the lobby/bar/restaurant. The first night I was there is was so loud from the bar noise, that after being up for 21 hours, I couldn't sleep. There was even bad singing. I was 7 floor up.

3. Disorganization: the 2nd night, a man had been assigned my room so unsuccessfully (thankfully) was trying to get into my room at about 12:30 am. Thank goodness for the deadbolt.

Wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank WalterNC
AshfordAM, General Manager at JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square, responded to this review, 27 August 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to share the feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to hear we did not live up to your expectations, and invite you to contact us directly to discuss further. The JW Marriott San Francisco does indeed have an atrium lobby which provides some astonishing views both from the ground floor and upper levels. I am very proud to say that we just recently completed a full renovation of the hotel, and truly wish you could have had a better impression. Thank you for your patronage, and I hope you will give us a chance to serve you again.