The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Handlery Union Square Hotel(San Francisco)
  • Pool
Hotel Stratford(San Francisco)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Hotel G San Francisco(San Francisco)
Villa Florence(San Francisco)
  • Bar/Lounge
The Donatello(San Francisco)
5,865 results
All reviewsnew towerlandmark buildingclock barunion squaretower roomolder partheavenly bedcable carclassic hotelconcierge deskthe heart of the cityhigh floorcoit towerthe golden gate bridgestreet noisefisherman's wharffew blocks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Cons:
The walls are thin -- I could hear my neighbor's conversation at 2am.
If you have a room overlooking union square, sometimes there are loud concerts until midnight.
The rooms are small. I had a special conference rate; at the normal rate, I would be largely underwhelmed.

Pros:
With so many cons, why did I give it 4 stars?
Service. Every employee I dealt with was not only friendly, but (for the most part) went out of their way to help with my random requests/needs.
Location. If I was in town on my own, I would prefer other parts of the city. But for a first time visitor, or someone on business, it's a great place to be within walking distance of many locations and easily accessible to public transportation for pretty much everything else.
Shower. Really is "Heavenly." Fantastic.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
TheWestinStFrancis, The Director of Rooms at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Dear kimburu:

On behalf of the associates of The Westin St. Francis, I’d like to personally thank you for your review. I’m pleased to learn that you found our associates to be friendly and helpful. Our team strives to continually find ways to make you feel welcome as our guest. The showers are one of our favorite features of the hotel as well, and it’s great to know that you found them “heavenly.”

I apologize for the concerns you experienced regarding noise. We have been partnering with local agencies to ensure unauthorized noise created in our very busy Union Square is addressed immediately, in accordance with established noise ordinances. The historic Landmark Building does tend to dampen sound less effectively than our Tower Building, due to the nature of construction and configuration within this structure. We continually work to preserve the rich heritage of our Landmark Building, while modernizing it to provide the comforts of a world-class Westin. I’d be pleased to assist you with booking a future stay to ensure your expectations are exceeded. Please feel free to contact me directly at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

Reviewed 3 March 2012

Had a great stay as always when staying at a Starwood property (which we will now exclusively be staying at).

I was very impressed with the perfect location. The original building was built in 1904 so be aware that if you will be taken back in time. It has a charm and historic feel which truly is beautiful. We were booked in a room that did not have a view of Union Square but I was able to call the front desk and change rooms to get the fabulous view of Union Square!

This upgrade was $40 a night but worth every penny. If you are a fan of architecture then this is definitely the place for you.

The Clock Bar was a modern twist which was a great place to lounge and have a few drinks.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Union Square!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
TheWestinStFrancis, Director of Rooms, The Westin St. Francis at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2012

Dear Jelly_Heads:

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay at The Westin St. Francis. I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time in our charming, historic Landmark Building. The views truly are one of a kind! If you need assistance booking a future stay at The Westin St. Francis, please feel free to contact me directly at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

Reviewed 29 February 2012

Oh I wish I were back at the Inter-Continental! I stayed in the older tower of the hotel and you could tell! The carpet was brown and dingy, the room was small and the shower stall was not more than 3x4 feet. The only reason I stayed at this hotel was because a conference I was attending was hosted on-site and the room rate was discounted. Not all of it was bad...the gym had great equipment and was clean - definitely cleaner than my room! I also enjoyed the food which was fresh and well prepared. Unfortunately, neither the gym nor the food could make up for the dinginess of the room. Service level - for a luxury hotel- was underwhelming.

My room was facing Geary Street, which was somewhat noisy. However, since I live in a city, I'm used to traffic noises; so, it didn't bother me. My one recommendation to the general manager of this property - update the rooms!

Dear CMG1984:

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Westin St. Francis. We always enjoy hosting conferences, and we hope you enjoyed the amenities and conveniences of our meeting spaces. I am also pleased to hear that you took advantage of our wonderful gym and dining services.

I am disappointed to read that you found our historic Landmark Building to be less than exemplary. We’re very focused upon ensuring every guest experiences an outstanding visit. Should you decide to return to The Westin St. Francis, I would be pleased to personally assist you with accommodations that exceed your expectations. Please feel free to contact me directly at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com for assistance.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

I thought I had a good deal booking the Westin via BA for my three day business trip. And while the room in the old part of the hotel was on the drab side, the bed was super comfy, the shower suitably powerful and the desk space good to put in the hours over. Sadly however I had not expected paper thin walls. What a let down. With jet lag , the last thing I wanted was to be woken by the guy next door on the phone to his wife in glorious stereo. To give an idea of how thin the walls are, I could hear every time he sniffed. Thank god it wasn't a honeymoon couple in there. How the Westin can offer rooms with this appalling level of sound insulation is beyond. Totally unacceptable and completely ruined what could have been a good stay in what is actually a decent if rather tired hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in the new tower not the old part of the hotel

Dear Westofcenter:

Thank you for reviewing your stay at The Westin St. Francis. We know how important a good night’s sleep can be when traveling for business, so we regret to hear of your recent experience. We do our best to ensure comfort, as you found with the excellent bed, shower, and work spaces. We’re constantly working to update and modernize while keeping the unique, historic charm intact. If you’ll contact me directly at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com, I’d be happy to help you find a more suitable room during your next visit.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

I stayed at the Westin St Francis last week, in the historic section (there's an updated tower with newer rooms). While the room itself was clearly ancient, the amenities held up the Westin standard. The room faced Union Square, which was loud, but it didn't bother me.

The only issue I had with the hotel was the service; I called the front desk three times on two separate mornings, nobody answered. I thought maybe it was my phone, connecting to the wrong extension, but on the 4th time i did get an answer. When I approached the front desk staff in person, they were very helpful and accommodating. The concierge was less than helpful--I ventured to the concierge desk upon my arrival and asked where to go for "authentic San Francisco"; he had no suggestions. Wouldn't you get this question 10 times a day at least?

Although service was somewhat lacking, the hotel itself was spotless, well maintained, and in a perfect location!

Room Tip: The historic rooms may be a bit loud due to older windows and proximity to Union Square, but if you like the old style, you will not be disappointed.

Dear hotelemp:

Thank you for your review of your most recent stay at The Westin St. Francis. I’m so pleased to read that you enjoyed the amenities, location, and overall cleanliness of our hotel. Your experience with the front desk is not typical by any means, and I’m disappointed as I understand your telephone inquiries were left unanswered. We always strive to offer the best service possible. I’m working with our front desk associates and Concierge to ensure your feedback is utilized as a training tool, while examining opportunities to enhance San Francisco recommendations. I look forward to welcoming you back. Should I be of assistance to you, please contact me directly at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.