“pick another hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Boulder
“pick another hotel”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My coat was stolen out of my room. We have attempted to contact the hotel a few times and they have not responded to any correspondence. This is consistent with the snooty attitude my wife and I experienced at the front desk as well. We stayed in the old section of the hotel, it is loud and you can hear your neighbors. There was hair on the bathroom floor from a prior occupant and there seems to be a lack of customer or quality service I have seen in other Westin Hotels.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank RichDBoulder
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis and for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear of your experience and hope that the issue has been solved. Should you need to follow up, please send us an email at stfra@westin.com so we can rectify this. We hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,293)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed in the Westin over Valentines weekend. My husband arrived before me and checked into the room. I arrived very late on the Friday night. One thing that struck me about the hotel was the lack of anyone checking who you were. I walked up to the lift and got in with someone else and went straight to the room. No one offered to take bags or ask where I was going.

The room itself was on the third floor. Although it was large it looked out onto well nothing really, just other windows. We didn't even bother opening the curtains. If it was me I would have asked to move but as I say it was late and I was tired from travelling. We were not in the room much so it didn't affect our holiday but when you are paying over $350 a night you expect a bit more. The bathroom was tiny and there was no where to put your things so we ended up using the towel rack.

Beware water is $7! and wifi another $14 but we didn't use it. The bar downstairs now those prices were outrageous!! I ordered a Cosmo first and it was anything but good. I know my Cosmo's, I have my own Facebook page where I rate them and this one did not fair well. Next I ordered a G&T and asked if they had a little bowl of snacks. They charged me $7 for the nuts!!. I am used to high prices, I live in Chicago, but this was really not good. All in all for my husband and I for 3 drinks and a small bowl of nuts set us back nearly $50.

As a Starwoods Reward member I did think I might have got upgraded or even a little nicer room.

The good thing about the hotel however is it's location. Right on Union Square, couldn't get any better.

Also the beds are to die for. We have the Westin heavenly mattresses at home and they are the best.

Next time I will ask for a room change or maybe I will just stay at the Ritz on Nob Hill instead.

Room Tip: Based on other reviews go for a higher floor and the newer bit. Wish I had asked for this!!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jazzyart
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis and for your feedback. All of our guest feedback is very important to us so we can better cater to and serve our guests. We are currently undergoing guestroom renovations in our Tower building and we hope you choose to return to stay with us to experience them soon.
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I stayed at Tower for 3 nights. Hotel has good service and the room spacious....but this is a Westin and all that you generally could epxect from a top quality hotel should all be there for you.

What really impressed me is the Tower. You will enjoy a breath-takiningly beatiful view over Union Square and all the way through financial district to the Birdge in elevator. It just feels so good.

Hotel is right at Union Square.

Room Tip: ask for room in the tower and a SPG floor
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis for your 3 night stay in San Francisco! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have some breathtaking views of the city, don't we? I am glad that you were able to experience them and take it all in! We hope to welcome you back to stay with us again real soon.
Boston
Reviewed 18 February 2014

This review is based on a stay in a room in the old section of the Westin. Colleagues who stayed in the tower were happier with their experience. But as noted below, there were problems apart from room quality.

Room: My double was surprisingly small and dark, with a view into the windows of other rooms in the old section of the hotel. Furnishings were dated (with the exception of the brand new flat screen TV). The bathroom was small and dark with outmoded tub fixtures. Carpet was worn in high traffic areas. No stationary of any sort in room. All wall outlets were filled. Some good news -- I found two outlets built into the base of lamps, albeit with restrictive load limits. And the room was equipped with a safe, ironing board, coffee maker, bathrobe and free internet that worked. To be clear, the rooms were not unlivable, but were also not up to par.
Advice: Ask for a room in the tower wing. Or find another hotel.
Advice: Bring an extension cord. Two outlets is not enough.

Location and Conference Facilities: The hotel was in an ideal location on Union Square. Three blocks from BART. My conference sessions were held on floor 32 of the Westin tower with spectacular views. As a speaker, I really had to work hard to keep the attention of the audience. Not the fault of the hotel.
Bad news: The “smart” elevators malfunctioned. I was in an elevator that stopped at floor 11 and then refused to go up or down. Others went to floor 32 but the doors did not open. Participants rode back to the lobby and tried again. We had to delay the start of two sessions because of elevator problems.
Advice: Bring a book to read in case your elevator refuses to open or leaves you on the wrong floor. Perhaps something on optimization and control theory. Or on quality control. Kafka might be best.
Advice: Or enjoy the view from the glassed iin elevators if you are stuck. Truly beautiful.

Restaurants and bars: Overpriced and mediocre. Not highway robbery – just usual convention hotel prices. Not terrible quality. Edible but very ordinary. The service was surprisingly bad. For example, in the bar off the lobby, the server took my order but did not bring the drink for about 30 minutes. After being flagged, the server brought the drink 10 minutes later. Not acceptable.
Advice: Get out of the hotel and enjoy San Francisco. There are plenty of good dining options near the hotel. Consider the trendy Blue Stem Brasserie on Yorba Linda just off Market between 3rd and 4th – inventive appetizers and entrees at a moderately high price point. Or Katana-Ya – an inexpensive hole in the wall Japanese restaurant with pretty good ramen, udon and soba one block west of the hotel on Geary.

Front desk, housekeeping and AV staff: Front desk was efficient and courteous. Housekeeping was doing the best that they could with rooms in need of refurbishing. AV staff balanced sound from platform microphones, floor microphones, and remote participants. No complaints.

Bottom Line: This hotel was many levels below the other Westin properties that I know. From room quality to elevator roulette to food quality and bar service. Pretty bad across the board.

Room Tip: Ask for the tower. Much better rooms than old section.
1 Thank aversetospam
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Having previously stayed at the Westin 7 or 8 years ago this was our preferred choice for a one night stopover when transiting from Tahoe back to the UK. The hotel is ideally located on Union Square and is clearly a well run & well appointed hotel. The rooms are spacious and generally quite clean.

There are however, two downsides. We were given a room in the older, front section of the hotel with a partial view of Union Square. The room walls are paper thin as we could hear every word of the guests next door conversation on FaceTime/Skype that lasted throughout the evening and into the night.

We were also extremely disappointed at the overpriced additional costs for items that many other hotels give free of charge. $53 per night plus tax for car parking, $15 plus tax for basic internet access & $6 for a bottle of water from the mini bar.

The true test of a hotel for me is "would we stay there again?". Sadly the answer to this question is a resounding no. I paid premium rates for a hotel room where extra costs were over inflated & in future I will look elsewhere in the City.

Room Tip: I understand the tower rooms are better appointed than the front, older section.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis and for your feedback. The feedback we are given is important to us because it allows us to better serve our guests. Due to the prime location of our hotel, parking rates are very competitive with neighboring hotels. However, we do our best to keep our parking rates as low as possible. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed certain aspects of your stay. We hope to have another opportunity in the future to serve you again.
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

There is the Tower vs the original hotel. We started in the old part but we're not happy with the room: old, small, very small bathroom, noisy. We moved over to the Tower and it was like moving from a 2 star to a 4 star. Spacious room, the bathroom could actually fit 2 people, floor plan of the hotel wing kept the room quiet when you went to bed.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Steve C
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis during your stay in San Francisco. We are a historic hotel and we do have guests who stay with us just for the historic traditional guest rooms. However, I am glad to hear that we were able to accommodate your room preference and you were able to enjoy your stay. We hope to welcome you back to see us again.
Ontario, California
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I stayed for a couple of nights in the more modern tower section of the hotel. I had a spacious room on the 27th floor with a great view of Union Square and the city. The room was tastefully decorated with an excellent bathroom, very comfortable bed and a decent size desk. The only issue I encountered was the curious absence of accessible electrical outlets in the room. A minor issue, and I would certainly return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis and for taking the time to write about your stay, along with your feedback. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again very soon.