“Oh my....the noise!”

Ranked #73 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Oh my....the noise!”
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

We came to SF on a business trip and stayed a few extra days for fun. I was very disappointed with the hotel. The noise inside and outside this "historic hotel" was never ending! I was hoping for a nice quiet relaxing stay, but this was not the place for that. Added to that, our room was closet-sized and the bathroom a bit archaic. I have to believe there are better places to stay!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis. I am sorry to hear that you were not comfortable in your room but am pleased to let you know that we are quickly approaching the completion of all of our guestrooms in our Tower building. We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back so you can experience them!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,288)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

We had a wonderful weekend getaway at the St Francis. Ask for a room in one of the Landmark Towers. They are a great, stately rooms, some overlooking Union Square. If you like historic properties, you get the best of both worlds. Modern amenities, like a great bed, in a glorious setting.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis and for your kind comments! We truly are proud of our historic property and get even more excited when our guests enjoy them as well. We look forward to welcoming you back to The St. Francis!
Rockwall, Texas
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Spent 5 days during a convention. It was a good experience & the location is absolutely awesome. The food was OK but again the location & proximity to everything is the key. The hotel architecture is very cool

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

The room was tiny, old and we could literally hear every word spoken by the people around us. People on one side were sick, coughing, and two rooms down was a screamy kid. After a sleepless night, we asked to move rooms.
There are two lines at the front desk: one for top-level Westin club members and another for everyone else. Not being frequent-traveller-at-Westin status yet, it was always long, but twice I stood for a really long time so that *everyone* in the premium lineup was served before *anyone* in the regular lineup was addressed. I understand the concept - loyalty has its privileges - but there was *no* staff member to serve the non-elite members. When I mentioned this, very politely in my understated Canadian manner, both times I was completely dismissed. Insulting... I could go on. Suffice it to say that for my husband's business travel he will be staying elsewhere - it's not that good a location to make up for the experience we had.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis and for your feedback. I regret to hear of the experience you had with us and would like to extend my sincerest apologies, as this is not the typical level of service that we provide here at The St. Francis. Your comments will be routed to the respective department heads to focus on service training. We hope you would give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.
Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
Reviewed 11 April 2014

The moment you step into the foyer you are taken aback by the beautiful marble floors and large chandeliers.

Fantastic staff, fantastic location, fantastic room and amazing beds!!! Loved every minute of our stay here.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michelle G
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis during your stay in San Francisco! I am very pleased to know you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Sylmar, Ca
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I had booked a room here using my Priceline app because I had perused a steal of a deal on this normally expensive and luxurious hotel. The first room I was placed into by the merciless Tim was on the 6th floor. This room was quaint and snug, but something about this room just didn’t sit right with me. I asked the bellman if I could get another room and he flashed a quick smile and told me with certainty that I could. He instructed all I had to do was press 0 on the phone in my room and he would be called when I was issued a new room. Tim the terrible working the front desk late that evening had other ideas and told me that all the rooms that he had were the same and denied my request to move.
I then went downstairs and inquired again (to his face) for room change and was denied yet again. The reason was as he put it, “there’s always a problem with people using a 3rd party site to book rooms here”.
I’m no genius, and I need a few more seconds than average to fully comprehend when I’ve been had, but I was had. Being had, I proceeded to call Priceline and ask them why did they always give a nice hotel like the St. Francis Westin a hard time? My Priceline representative assured me that they did not harass the Westin in any way shape or form. She then asked me to hold as she also contacted the Westin and then told me that she had noted my inquiry in their records.
The following day I was helped by a brilliant young worker with hands on experience in the long halls on the St. Francis by the name of Kelly. Kelly talked with me about from a wide range of things from the dynamic surroundings of the town informatively to hotel information. Her composure was reassuring and commanded an air of professionalism that would make any company providing upper echelon service proud.
I next acquired a room on the corner of the 22nd floor and simply had the breath kidnapped from my lungs. It is a view that truly sets the eyes aflame. The floor is newly remodeled and has that freshly constructed aroma new construction leaves without the construction worker smells. The bed was a king sized behemoth and the bathroom is a hallway away which made the person I was sharing the room with very happy because the rooms on the 6th floor provided a much more intimate sharing of space.
Only complaints are that you have to pay for wifi and parking. I mean in this day and age free wifi should be a mandatory item. The extra surcharge for wifi and fifty bucks a day for parking is silly in my opinion, and sort of a classless considering the price per room. If you can charge what someone making minimum wage earns in a week per night for a room, you should be able to fork over some information access and some real estate for parking. But that’s the only snooty thing in my opinion. Everything else was simply perfect and I completely recommend staying here. If you’ve got dough to incinerate this place will give you plenty of grill space.

Room Tip: Lower floors have dismal views
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis. It's always great when you are able to snag those great deals on third party websites! However, it can be slightly tricky as room type availability may not always be available. I am sorry to hear that is what seemed to be the case the night you checked in. Thankfully, I am pleased to hear your room preference was resolved with the help of Kelly! We hope you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to serving you again.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The hotel is located in the middle of the city close to great restaurants, shops and city life. Check-in was very slow because there were three agents checking in 12 guests while two agents were assigned to the four Starwood Preferred Elite Guests. I was assigned a room in the historic tower that was renovated but small and noisy being next to the elevator. I liked the exercise clothes I was able to rent for $5.00. If you sign-up for the SPG program you will get internet free for your first stay. The internet speed was okay for quick browsing but not worth the money.

The food was excellent but very expensive! The Clock bar was a nice place to gather after attending the Fancy Food Show. If you are looking for a quick bit to eat, the lobby Bistro was excellent but closes very early in the evening. Housekeeping was great except they never replaced my toiletries during my four-day stay. Overall, I liked the hotel and would stay again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis. I am sorry to hear that your check in process could have been a little smoother, but am pleased to know that you enjoyed most other parts of your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you find yourself in San Francisco!