“Easy and Elegant”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Northern California
“Easy and Elegant”
Reviewed 23 September 2008

My sister and I had a two night get-away and we couldn't have been more pleased with this hotel. We were able to use 'points' and were even upgraded to a room on the 27th floor overlooking the city and the Golden Gate Bridge.

The rooms were a decent size and it was really quiet. You can't beat it for location. There is nothing negative I have to say about it.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,317)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco
Reviewed 21 September 2008

Friendly check in which was quick and easy. All staff we met were very helpful.

Our Room was on the 20th floor and a decent size. It was in the newer Tower Wing. As with all Westin hotels rooms it had very comfortable beds. Bathrooms are in marble and were maybe the nicest part of the room. The room was cleaned extremely well.

Only real fault was a reading light that was completely broken and although we mentioned it to the cleaning lady after 5 nights it still was broken and looked likely to fall at any moment.

The floor was a Starwood Preferred Floor but not sure what was different. You still have to pay $10 a day for Internet!

Have stayed at the Hyatt on Union Square and I found this hotel quieter. The view was decent though just a few floors higher it would have been much nicer.

The corridors could definitely do with redecorating and look from a different decade. Seems a shame as the rooms themselves seem more up to date.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SanFranciscoMary, Director of Elite Guest Experience at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, 23 September 2008
We are very pleased that this guest found the Westin St Francis rooms to be beautiful, quiet and restful. Our corridors have just received a beautiful renewal in our Historic Building. We have updated them with new carpet, new furniture, warm lighting and new wallpaper. Our Tower Building will recive a refesh in the near future.
bucks
Reviewed 19 September 2008

Stayed in San Francisco for a couple of nights and chose St Francis for the location which is the main attraction. Apart from a very comfortable bed, the room was average. Bathroom well below 5 star standard and bring your own toiletries as the hotel offering was mediocre.

Breakfast was good, very fresh cooked options, great coffee.

Staff were average. Concierge not much help " sorry we can't book Alcatraz for you........." no further offer of help.

Next time I go, I will try somewhere else.

• Liked — beds / breakfasts
  • Disliked — room / bathroom
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
We have been making wonderful and renewing upgrades and our guests have told us they are very pleased. Our concierge team has received many positive comments from our very gratefu guests, who tell us that the concierge team made their visit special. The Alcatraz Tour company asks that guests make their reservations directly with them. They have had problems with people trying to buy tickets and re-sell them, so they have made it their procedure to have the guest buy the ticket from them directly. Our concierge team helps our guests with the Alcatraz Tour schedule, website and phone number and our guests hav ebeen very happy about this.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 17 September 2008

We got married in San Francisco in July 2008, and the Westin St. Francis played a huge role in making our trip so wonderful! We had a corner room in the historic part of the hotel, and it was absolutely beautiful! It overlooked Union Square, which, while sometimes noisy (because you can actually open the windows) was perfect. On our first night, someone played the cello as we were falling asleep. Then sometime around 4am I had to close the window because A) it is San Francisco and it had cooled off considerably, and B) the garbage trucks were moving. The hotel was under minor renovation, but it wasn't loud or inconvenient (in fact, the guys doing the work were incredibly nice). I ordered my bouquet from the onsite florist (and I could have bought a slinky little honeymoon number from the Victoria's Secret also located in the building), and it was gorgeous. We bought souvenirs at the gift shop (which is nicer than many in the city). The history of the building alone makes it worth a visit, but having stayed in some very nice hotels in both the US and in Europe, I have to say that the St. Francis is definitely near the very top of my list. Room service was excellent; several friends sent champagne and strawberries to us, which were presented beautifully. The "heavenly bed" really was, and the bathroom was spacious with beautiful tile. Intricate crown moulding and beautiful glass door knobs were very nice touches. The closet was larger than the one in my home! I'll never stay anywhere else in San Francisco...I couldn't recommend the St. Francis more enthusiastically!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
illinois
Reviewed 14 September 2008

My wife and I were there August 27 for an attorney conference. The room was not ready at one pm so we went out the front door and used our 3 day transit pass to hop on the cablecar down to the Wharf for lunch. When we returned the room (at a special conference rate) was still not ready and the front desk was very busy. Yet the receptionist found us a half studio way up the tower at the same rate. We took the glass elevator up and stepped into a room with windows on 2 sides overlooking the City (though no Westin bed). We flew back down and said yes we love it. When I thanked the manager at the desk area she was glad we were happy and sent us a wine basket to welcome us. So for a big busy conference hotel we were much impressed.

• Liked — Service and location
  • Disliked — no pool
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
Matthews, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 September 2008

As a business traveler, the St. Francis is in a perfect location right in the heart of downtown San Francisco. The front desk staff was very helpful to me on this particular trip, as I had left an item in my room upon check-out, returned five minutes later, and they quickly helped me retrieve the item. I love the size of the rooms, along with the big-screen television (HD for more channels would certainly be a plus). For a high rise hotel, I very rarely had to wait more than 15-30 seconds for an elevator - and the hotel was nearly at capacity.

Only a couple things prevent this hotel from being five stars in my book - first, the closet doors in my room had obvious nicks in them that almost seemed calling out to be fixed. Also, the toilet fixtures don't seem to match the luxury image of the hotel. On the plus side, the Heavenly Bed is great, along with the views from the high-story rooms.

Whenever I'm in San Francisco, I would stay here, especially since the price is typically the lowest of the Starwood properties in downtown San Francisco.

• Liked — Location and room size
  • Disliked — Very busy hotel - you may have to put up with crowds
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
Rhode Island
Reviewed 10 September 2008

I recently stayed at the Westin St. Francis for six nights using my Starwood points. The location of this hotel is great--easy walk to Nob Hill, Chinatown and of course Union Square. I was very pleased with the room, spacious and very clean and of course, the infamous Westin Heavenly Beds. The only thing that was troubling during the stay were some items were taken from my room. I noticed one thing immediately and reported it, and was reimbursed for the item, but after the cleaning service was in the room, it magically appeared again. On the way home I remember a gift that I had purchased for my daughter was also missing. I contacted the hotel twice and got absolutely no response about this. Luckily the items were not of significant value, but I wonder if anyone else who stayed at this hotel had a similar experience. I am surprised that a hotel of this caliber would not respond to even apologize about this. I am a Starwood Preferred Guest and have never had an experience such as this in one of their hotels.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — customer service
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SanFranciscoMary, Director of Elite Guest Experience at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, 16 September 2008
The Westin St Francis is extremely proud of it's very honest. team of associates. We have an excellent Lost and Found department and woud urge our guests to contact them when inquiring about items that were possibly left in the guestrooms.