“A stunning hotel, perfect location!”

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #68 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Calgary, Canada
“A stunning hotel, perfect location!”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Union Square is THE place to stay in San Fran. And the history and charm of The Westin St. Francis is tough to beat. The staff are great, the rooms are nice, the restaurants and bars leave you with no reason to leave - but of course you want to! Because you are at the center of it all - night life, cafes, shopping, all the city has to offer. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others.

Green Features: Westin is a leader in sustainability - I'm grateful for the programs they have in place
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis and for taking the time to write a review. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,328)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed in Westin St. Francis in April for one night and I met four awesome staffs there. 1. Jason Petty at the front desk was so kind and welcoming me a lot with big smile that gave me super great first impression of the hotel. 2. Since I checked in 1 hr earlier, they haven't refilled all drinks in fridge so one guy (sadly don't remember his name) had to come into my room for refilling. When he came in, he was very friendly and again with really nice smile!. 3. All of housekeepers always said hello to me and one of them even helped me to get women's products from her personal belongings.(in 8th floor). 4. Lastly, when I checked out, the lady at the front desk (named starting from Yv..not sure) was also nice and professional.

I am sad that I can't think of better adjectives to describe this awesome hotel experience due to my lack of English skill. Everything about this hotel was best and nicest among all hotels that I have stayed in USA for last several years. And I will for sure come back to this hotel when I visit San Fran again in the future. Thank you all staffs in Westin for everything!!!! :D

Room Tip: Higher floors might have less noisy coming from the main downtown street
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis and for taking the time to share your kind words. I am so excited to hear that our staff made your stay memorable and I look forward to sharing your great comments with them. I am sure they will be happy to know that they were able to affect our guest's experience in such a positive way. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in San Francisco. Be well.
Dallas
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Upon arrival we were given a room in the old section (what a confusing maze) which had a slightly smokey smell & tiny bathroom. No problem getting moved to room in newer part of hotel which was plenty big enough for two & much easier to navigate hallways. Bed and pillows very comfy. Marble bathroom with rain shower showerhead, water temp & water pressure great but slightly noisey. No view but room quiet. Don't dawdle when selecting floor & using room key to call elevator. Pleasant housekeeping & tech support personnel very responsive (operator error with wifi). Small Starbucks in lobby nice. Great location at Union Square within walking distance of good resuaurants & Chinatown and easy access to streetcars, taxi & bus. Don't rent car; parking at hotel over $50 a day. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose the newer Tower section; much easier to get to/from room.
Green Features: They give $5 coupon for each day you refuse housekeeping. Used coupon at mini-Starbucks for cheap breakfast.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Carol G
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis and for sharing your comments with us. I am pleased to hear that you were happy with our newly renovated guest rooms in our Tower building and enjoyed the amenities in the hotel and nearby attractions during your stay with us. We invite you to return and look forward to serving you again.
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Very surprised to pay 38 doll per night 'room occupancy tax'
If we book a room obviously it is to occupy it
Found some staff to be ambivalent like we were a bother to tbem
Not all were like that
Delays at rental car collection to long
For eating and drinking go outside
Wifi in the room- 15 dolls a day ! Hello hi tech

Stayed April 2014
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis and for your comments. Unfortunately, the city of San Francisco is an expensive city and these taxes are unavoidable. However, we hope you choose to stay with us again should you find yourself in San Francisco.
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We were delighted to stay in this Union Square, grand old San Francisco hotel. We chose to stay in the older part of the hotel for the history. The room was very spacious. The bathroom, on the other hand, was very, very tiny. Yet, the shower had the most powerful shower that I really enjoyed. Since Westin manages this property, it maintains good quality service.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis during your stay in San Francisco. I am very pleased you enjoyed the classic historical rooms in our Landmark building. We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us real soon.
boston
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed in the tower after reading several reviews about the noise in the older portion of the hotel.

This hotel has a great location for exploring San Fran by foot or by trolley. The rooms were okay but certainly better than I expected based on prior reviews.

Biggest gripe is that the hotel was booked to capacity and only had a room with a king bed available. We were a party of four including two adults, one teenager and one infant. We requested a rollaway bed and was told that they were all sold out for the night which was disapponting. My teen slept on chairs (because he is a boy and the idea of sharing a bed with grandma and mom was less than desirable). We were fofered extra blankets (I guess so he could sleep on the floor?)

On the second night we were able to secure a rollaway but that like everything at this hotel comes with a premium up charge. I have never before been charged for a rollaway, particularly in a room that is advertised as sleeping 4. It is not like we were adding an extra person to the room.

Overall I found the service to just be medicore at best. I did not feel particularly welcomed or like anyone went out of their way to do anything to make the stay special. (I guess the extra blankets should count?)

The elevators are super fast in this hotel btw. To the point where one can easily experience motion sickness on the ride, thus if you suffer from motion sickness you may want to opt for a lower floor room (if available of course).

3 Thank meleetyme
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis and for your feedback. I sincerely apologize for not being able to accommodate with a more comfortable room type. We hope you choose to return and stay with us again so we can better serve you.
Greenwich, CT
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed here with my two kids for three days and loved it!
* All of the staff from the staff from the valet to the dining room were very nice and accommodating.
* The room was updated and very clean (am a bit of a clean freak and was definitely satisfied).
* Loved the Heavenly Bed - more comfortable than my own!
* The location cannot be beat - within walking distance to many great shops, restaurants and even the cable car stop. Also easy freeway access.
I really look forward to my next stay!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis and for taking the time to share you kind comments about your experience with us. I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your next stay as well!