“Nice comfortable hotel however incredibly noisy”

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #72 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Nice comfortable hotel however incredibly noisy”
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a tower king room, which was very clean and comfortable. Beautiful bed and decor - however the entire hotel is so noisy. There's a constant humming coming from the air conditioning unit or something even when it isn't on and you can hear every noise your neighbour makes because they're joint rooms.
On our second night there was some form of party in one or two of the guest rooms at about 3-4am which sounded like 20 people. Took far too long for hotel staff to respond to this noise.
Also all of the room doors slam shut behind you so all night every five minutes you are woken to a bang.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis and for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I sincerely extend my apologies that you were unable to rest well due to noise issues. I truly hope you choose to return so that we can better serve you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,314)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I am in San Francisco for a few nights at the end of a business trip to relax for a few days. This hotel is amazing! The lobby is breathtaking and everything is classic 1920's class. I am in a classic room in the original part of the hotel. Everything in the room is dark wood and marble counters and even a chandelier hanging over the amazing bed. I plan on trying out the restaurant this eveing but am sure it will be fantastic. The entire hotel is beautiful and straight out of a movie about the 1920's - classy, upscale, yet comfortable and with all the modern ammenities. Also, the location is great - literally in Union Square and near all types of restaurants and shops as well as the trolley. I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone coming to the area.

Room Tip: Definitley stay in the original part of the hotel.
Green Features: They offer you the option of denying housekeeping in exchange for SPG points.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank DavidDilk
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis and for your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back, time and time again!
Hudson, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel with very nice amenities. I would recommend staying on the new side as they have larger rooms and it is just newer. It has a great location right next to trolley car ride and across from Union Square. I travel here frequently for business and this is where I stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your loyalty to The Westin St. Francis and for taking the time to share a review with us. I am very pleased to know that we are your home away from home when you are in San Francisco on business. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Calgary
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The best thing about the Westin St Francis is the location- you can't beat Union Square for being in the center of it all! We had a deluxe king room overlooking the square and it was very large and well appointed. Service was great. Parts of the hotel such as hallways and other common areas, however, are looking a little "tired" and could benefit from a makeover. The breakfast buffet was excellent although overpriced at USD 28 per person. Our big complaint with this hotel is the noise. The air conditioning in a our room was so loud we had to turn it off to hear the TV. The lobby entrance, Clock Bar and Bourbon Street restaurant and bar were incredibly noisy due to poor acoustics- not pleasant at all.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AvidTravellerCalgary
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis as your home away from home and for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am sorry that the air conditioning in your room was a little too noisy for you to be able to relax. But I am pleased to know that you enjoyed many other parts of your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon!
Lima,Peru
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I went to this historic hotel to attend a conference held downstairs. The convenience of this arrangement needs no further argument. Convention facilities are superb, I specially like this hotel's idea of cutting the clutter: everything is there and you hardly notice. So you concentrate on the work at hand.
The lobby is very lively and comfortable. Good that it is so, because that is the only place where free wifi is available. The best mojitos also available there!
Rooms are spacious, well equipped and tastefully decorated. The beds are, well, heavenly!
I got a large enough bathroom with the usual amenities and a super shower.
No bathrobes, you must ask for slippers explicitly, and some areas of the hotel, (elevators J, K, L;) look a bit dated.
The elevators: very safe, though a bit clumsy until you learn the trick with the cards. One can imagine that this being Union Square- so close to Market and Civic Center- there have to be special safety measures.
Being on Union, there's ample choice of shops and restaurants, the square itself is a nice place to have a stroll, look at the art, and enjoy the fog or -if you are specially lucky- the sun.
The staff are very helpful, polite and even outright friendly, with the easy going attitude that sets SF apart from almost everywhere else in the world.
I specially liked the harmonious mixture of old time grandeur- to be be seen in the convention and social floors and lower number guest rooms- and up-t-odate technology at the service of guest comfort.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms with lower numbers: --01 to-30
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis and for sharing your comments with us. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our staff are truly the essence of what makes our hotel as great as it is. It also doesn't hurt that we are in such a prime location! We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.
delhi
Reviewed 7 May 2014

To begin with it is a nice Business Hotel albeit with very slow Room Service... I stayed here for a month on a business trip ...I am a platinum SPG member so did not face issues with getting room upgrades or free Wi Fi...

USP of the Hotel is : ( PROS ) ..
1.) Location ...Right in Front of Union Square ..Heart of SFO..
2.) Nice Heritage like Hotel
3.) 5 minutes walk to catch Cable Cars on Powell Street ..
4.) Front desk is very friendly and polite ..
5.) Rooms are generally nice and clean
6.) Facilities for Platinum / Gold Members is nice ( easy to get room upgrades etc )

CONS:
1.) I faced BIG ISSUE with room service which is very slow and unresponsive. Even to get something as basic as water I had to sometimes wait 20-25 minutes ..
2.) Room service staff can be impolite or impatient at times ..I asked for late night in room dining and after waiting for 30 minutes I had to call up again ..the staff very rudely said you can wait or we cancel your order ....
3.) Again not all of them were impolite or slow but 1 out of 3 calls ended up in disappointment as I had to call up more than once to follow up ....
4.) Room cleaning folks don't keep water in room post cleaning ....so another 10 minutes wasted in asking for water ...

Overall nice business hotel and nicely located but they should really focus on faster room service ( hire more staff may be )...It is a huge hotel so I understand delays sometimes but it can be frustrating if it happens quite a number of times ...As I found out during my stay for a month...

Room Tip: Go for rooms facing "Union Square" if possible ...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Abhishek S
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis as your temporary home in San Francisco! I am sorry to hear that you experienced an issue with our in-room dining department. I will be sure to share this with our department managers to improve our services for future guests. However, I am happy to know that you enjoyed most other parts of your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you find yourself in San Francisco.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I paid $281 for a tiny dark dim room with no window. I had no maid service and had to call multiple times to get towels. The hotel was very pretentious of course if you stay in the lobby, but over-priced for the rooms, stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: Pay more to get a good room. if you're not a VIP or pay a lot, they'll stick you in the dun...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark G
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis during your stay in San Francisco and for sharing your comments with us. I sincerely apologize for your negative experience and hope you choose to give us another opportunity to better serve you in the future.