The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #72 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 October 2008

We stayed here one night, but did not arrive until almost midnight! But this was a lovely hotel, fantastic location, wonderful shower and bed! Right across the street from Tiffany and Co (Whats not to love about that!)

Would stay here again! No complaints!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (5,732)

Reviewed 10 October 2008

Drawn to the St. Francis by the killer Expedia price of $199 per night for a tower room (also on a higher floor with a view), we were by no means disappointed by our stay since expectations were not over the top. Upon arrival in our rental car we did however; add another $50 to our tab per night for parking at the hotel. We were expecting a big price tag for overnight parking having parked rental cars in the city in the past, but come on.

We opted for a room in the new tower because friends who’ve stayed in the older portion of the hotel said the rooms in that building were like cracker boxes. However our room was on the larger side, decently appointed and had an amazing view of the bay and city skyline. We never visit San Francisco to spend the weekend in our room, but the overall impression of the room was standard and cookie cutter. In my opinion that is sorta a Westin for you, but they are usually very clean (which this was) and have nice dining and guest lounges, which the St. Francis did as well.

The real bonus of the St. Francis is the convenient location. Since it is right on Union Square, terrific shopping is literally right out your front door and you can hop a cab or cable car to hit other big tourist spots in the city. Point is if you are in the city to play tourist, then the St. Francis is a great home base.

If I were to get another deal like the one we got for this stay, I would consider the St. Francis again; otherwise, I'd probably take my money elsewhere and find a more boutique/unique experience.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
SanFranciscoMary, Director of Elite Guest Experience at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2008

We are very gratified that this guest had an enjoyable experience at the Westin St Francis . We pride oursleves in being able to offer a variety of rooms and are happy to accommodate our guests wishes. The Tower rooms are more contemporary an offer wonderful views of the city and San Francisco Bay. Our rooms in the Historic Building are a favorite with guests who like to have chandeliers and crown molding with high ceilings. Some of the rooms have perfect views of Union Square. There are large rooms in both buildings are all rooms are very well-appointed with 37" flatscreen TV's, Heavenly Beds and Heavenly Showers.
We look forward to this guest's return visit with us.

Reviewed 2 October 2008

This is a classic hotel in the heart of S.F. downtown shopping district. We stayed in the newer tower which I would recommend. It is well appointed and has newer furnishings than the older tower(stayed in that one last year). I love the heavenly bedding and shower...definitely adds to the value. There is a great bar and nightlife in the main lobby. Prices are high but that's the city. I would recommend parking yourself at the Union Square garage right in front of the St. Francis. It's only $31 a day rather than the hotels cost of $50 a day. I would also recommend using the metro to get around to other parts of the city...very inexpensive....$1.50
So overall a great experience. Make sure you go to a Giants baseball game too....amazing stadium with a view :)

Reviewed 29 September 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Westin Saint Francis for two nights this past weekend. We were quite satisfied. The hotel is old (in the historic sense) and charming. Our room was small, but just what we expected from a hotel of this vintage. (It reminded us of the rooms in the good old New York hotels.) Check-in was pleasant, and we were suprised that we had a choice of rooms even though we arrived two or three hours earlier then their announced check-in time. Housekeeping was very good, and the room was clean and comfortable. And the concierge had excellent restaurant recommendations for lunch and dinner. Perhaps the best feature of the hotel is the location--right on Union Square.

A couple of suggestions. Ask for a room away from the front of the hotel. You won't get a view, but you also won't be kept awake by city noise. And, if you need a cab for dinner, be prepared to wait 15 or 20 minutes in a queue in front of the hotel. Everyone else will likely need a cab when you do.

Reviewed 24 September 2008

I stay in this hotel on business and had two extremely different experiences. The first was lovely - as an SPG member I was upgraded to a nice room in the new tower. The room was spacious and quiet.

The second experience was less pleasant. My flight was delayed from the east coast and I arrived in SF after midnight which is 3 am my time. I just wanted to get to sleep. I was given a room in the older tower and the hallways had a very musty odor (not a big deal). When I got to the room, I opened the door and tripped on the bed. This was without a doubt the smallest room I have every seen. I live in a studio in Manhattan so I am used to small spaces but this was ridiculous. I couldn't even move around in the room and had to put my suitcase in the closet to open and unpack because there was no room to put it on the floor and open it without me having to jump over it get around. When my colleague came by the next morning to pick me up for breakfast he was stunned by how small the room was and exclaimed "This is the tiniest, most horrible room ever!"

Believe it or not, the tiny room wasn't the worst part. Because it was 3:00am my time I was exhausted and couldn't wait to get some sleep. In the middle of the night I was woken up by what I thought was thunder but later came to realize was the sound of my next door neighbor flushing the toilet. Every time some one in a neighboring room went to the bathroom, turned on the sink or took a shower a booming noise went through my room so there is a plumbing issue there.

I am going to San Francisco this weekend for business again and I am not staying in this hotel even though it is the most convenient to Union Square which is where I need to be. I just am not willing to take my chances and end up in a shoebox that makes my little apartment seem like a palace.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

We regret the experience this guest had with the size of their room and the plumbing noise. With 1195 rooms, we have a wonderful variety of shapes and sizes to accommodate most requests. The great majority of our rooms are very good size and many are larger than the rooms in most hotels. We would be happy to ensure a larger room for this guest on their next visit. We have worked on the plumbing noise in that area and have resolved it . Again, we aplogize that it was not resolved during his visit. We want to do everything possible to ensure a replenishing visit for all of our guests. If there is ever anything that our guests would like improved, we encourage them to let us know while they are staying with us .We want to take care of it while they are in the hotel, so that they leave feeling refeshed and renewed.

Reviewed 23 September 2008

My sister and I had a two night get-away and we couldn't have been more pleased with this hotel. We were able to use 'points' and were even upgraded to a room on the 27th floor overlooking the city and the Golden Gate Bridge.

The rooms were a decent size and it was really quiet. You can't beat it for location. There is nothing negative I have to say about it.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 September 2008

Friendly check in which was quick and easy. All staff we met were very helpful.

Our Room was on the 20th floor and a decent size. It was in the newer Tower Wing. As with all Westin hotels rooms it had very comfortable beds. Bathrooms are in marble and were maybe the nicest part of the room. The room was cleaned extremely well.

Only real fault was a reading light that was completely broken and although we mentioned it to the cleaning lady after 5 nights it still was broken and looked likely to fall at any moment.

The floor was a Starwood Preferred Floor but not sure what was different. You still have to pay $10 a day for Internet!

Have stayed at the Hyatt on Union Square and I found this hotel quieter. The view was decent though just a few floors higher it would have been much nicer.

The corridors could definitely do with redecorating and look from a different decade. Seems a shame as the rooms themselves seem more up to date.

• Business service (e.g., internet access)
SanFranciscoMary, Director of Elite Guest Experience at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2008

We are very pleased that this guest found the Westin St Francis rooms to be beautiful, quiet and restful. Our corridors have just received a beautiful renewal in our Historic Building. We have updated them with new carpet, new furniture, warm lighting and new wallpaper. Our Tower Building will recive a refesh in the near future.