“Great location & nice hotel but a word of warning!”

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #70 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 October 2008

Location was excellent.This hotel is very "grand" at reception and ground level. However rooms in older part of hotel need updating. We stayed on the 10th floor but were accompanied by renovations taking place in a room on that floor from 7.30am on 2 mornings! Not acceptable and informed manager who was very apologetic etc. My warning with this hotel is don't make any calls from the phone in your room as you will be very upset when you view your bill on checking out.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
There are newer reviews for The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square

Reviewed 17 October 2008

We stayed at the Westin for 5 nights in August and overall I was quite impressed. We loved the Michael Mina Cocktail Bar - Clock Bar,where the service was excellent and I saw one of the cast of Desperate Housewives!
We didn't much rate the cafe area, the service was slow and the tea I ordered was practially room temperature - better off heading for Starbucks, there are plenty around!
The room was quite small, but I suspect this is standard unless you pay for luxury, and it was adequate. The view was one of the other walls of the building, so gloomy, but we weren't there for the view really!
We ate at the Cheesecake Factory at Macy's about 3 times, and loved it. The Cockatils there were great, and the food was excellent, although the wait time to get a table was a bit long on occasion.
I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2008

We stayed here one night, but did not arrive until almost midnight! But this was a lovely hotel, fantastic location, wonderful shower and bed! Right across the street from Tiffany and Co (Whats not to love about that!)

Would stay here again! No complaints!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2008

Drawn to the St. Francis by the killer Expedia price of $199 per night for a tower room (also on a higher floor with a view), we were by no means disappointed by our stay since expectations were not over the top. Upon arrival in our rental car we did however; add another $50 to our tab per night for parking at the hotel. We were expecting a big price tag for overnight parking having parked rental cars in the city in the past, but come on.

We opted for a room in the new tower because friends who’ve stayed in the older portion of the hotel said the rooms in that building were like cracker boxes. However our room was on the larger side, decently appointed and had an amazing view of the bay and city skyline. We never visit San Francisco to spend the weekend in our room, but the overall impression of the room was standard and cookie cutter. In my opinion that is sorta a Westin for you, but they are usually very clean (which this was) and have nice dining and guest lounges, which the St. Francis did as well.

The real bonus of the St. Francis is the convenient location. Since it is right on Union Square, terrific shopping is literally right out your front door and you can hop a cab or cable car to hit other big tourist spots in the city. Point is if you are in the city to play tourist, then the St. Francis is a great home base.

If I were to get another deal like the one we got for this stay, I would consider the St. Francis again; otherwise, I'd probably take my money elsewhere and find a more boutique/unique experience.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
SanFranciscoMary, Director of Elite Guest Experience at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2008

We are very gratified that this guest had an enjoyable experience at the Westin St Francis . We pride oursleves in being able to offer a variety of rooms and are happy to accommodate our guests wishes. The Tower rooms are more contemporary an offer wonderful views of the city and San Francisco Bay. Our rooms in the Historic Building are a favorite with guests who like to have chandeliers and crown molding with high ceilings. Some of the rooms have perfect views of Union Square. There are large rooms in both buildings are all rooms are very well-appointed with 37" flatscreen TV's, Heavenly Beds and Heavenly Showers.
We look forward to this guest's return visit with us.

Reviewed 2 October 2008

This is a classic hotel in the heart of S.F. downtown shopping district. We stayed in the newer tower which I would recommend. It is well appointed and has newer furnishings than the older tower(stayed in that one last year). I love the heavenly bedding and shower...definitely adds to the value. There is a great bar and nightlife in the main lobby. Prices are high but that's the city. I would recommend parking yourself at the Union Square garage right in front of the St. Francis. It's only $31 a day rather than the hotels cost of $50 a day. I would also recommend using the metro to get around to other parts of the city...very inexpensive....$1.50
So overall a great experience. Make sure you go to a Giants baseball game too....amazing stadium with a view :)

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Westin Saint Francis for two nights this past weekend. We were quite satisfied. The hotel is old (in the historic sense) and charming. Our room was small, but just what we expected from a hotel of this vintage. (It reminded us of the rooms in the good old New York hotels.) Check-in was pleasant, and we were suprised that we had a choice of rooms even though we arrived two or three hours earlier then their announced check-in time. Housekeeping was very good, and the room was clean and comfortable. And the concierge had excellent restaurant recommendations for lunch and dinner. Perhaps the best feature of the hotel is the location--right on Union Square.

A couple of suggestions. Ask for a room away from the front of the hotel. You won't get a view, but you also won't be kept awake by city noise. And, if you need a cab for dinner, be prepared to wait 15 or 20 minutes in a queue in front of the hotel. Everyone else will likely need a cab when you do.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2008

I stay in this hotel on business and had two extremely different experiences. The first was lovely - as an SPG member I was upgraded to a nice room in the new tower. The room was spacious and quiet.

The second experience was less pleasant. My flight was delayed from the east coast and I arrived in SF after midnight which is 3 am my time. I just wanted to get to sleep. I was given a room in the older tower and the hallways had a very musty odor (not a big deal). When I got to the room, I opened the door and tripped on the bed. This was without a doubt the smallest room I have every seen. I live in a studio in Manhattan so I am used to small spaces but this was ridiculous. I couldn't even move around in the room and had to put my suitcase in the closet to open and unpack because there was no room to put it on the floor and open it without me having to jump over it get around. When my colleague came by the next morning to pick me up for breakfast he was stunned by how small the room was and exclaimed "This is the tiniest, most horrible room ever!"

Believe it or not, the tiny room wasn't the worst part. Because it was 3:00am my time I was exhausted and couldn't wait to get some sleep. In the middle of the night I was woken up by what I thought was thunder but later came to realize was the sound of my next door neighbor flushing the toilet. Every time some one in a neighboring room went to the bathroom, turned on the sink or took a shower a booming noise went through my room so there is a plumbing issue there.

I am going to San Francisco this weekend for business again and I am not staying in this hotel even though it is the most convenient to Union Square which is where I need to be. I just am not willing to take my chances and end up in a shoebox that makes my little apartment seem like a palace.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

We regret the experience this guest had with the size of their room and the plumbing noise. With 1195 rooms, we have a wonderful variety of shapes and sizes to accommodate most requests. The great majority of our rooms are very good size and many are larger than the rooms in most hotels. We would be happy to ensure a larger room for this guest on their next visit. We have worked on the plumbing noise in that area and have resolved it . Again, we aplogize that it was not resolved during his visit. We want to do everything possible to ensure a replenishing visit for all of our guests. If there is ever anything that our guests would like improved, we encourage them to let us know while they are staying with us .We want to take care of it while they are in the hotel, so that they leave feeling refeshed and renewed.