The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #71 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I really enjoyed staying at the Westin St Francis. My room recently renovated and was in the new tower on one of the higher floors with a beautiful view of the Golden Gate Bridge. If you book a corner room you can see both the bay bridge and the Golden gate. It's in a great central location. You can walk to China town for wonderful Chinese food - and you are right in the shopping district. There is a new dry bar three blocks away - loved that convenience - ask for Antonio if you want volume in your hair. The bed at the St Francis was comfortable - and the floor I was on was quiet. The service at the hotel is excellent - from the front desk, to room service and the doorman. I had a facial in the spa ( I don't normally book at resort hotels out of town - I prefer the ritz spa in Orlando) but took a chance on their spa. It was amazing!! I can't remember the name of the lady who did my facial - but she has been there 14 years - and it was so relaxing I almost fell asleep. I will definitely go back to their spa the next time I am in San Fran - the service was extremely impressive. If I had time I would have gone back to the spa during my stay.

Room Tip: Book a newly renovated room with a view of one of the bridges.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jeanne G
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Thank you for choosing the Westin St. Francis and for sharing your review with us. Our Westin St. Francis Renewal Spa truly is quite a treat and I am so happy to know you were able to relax and rejuvenate during your time with us! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 20 August 2014

from check in we were very lucky to have Dustin who was interested and answered all questions
and made sure that our every need was taken care of during our week's stay. the entire staff was
excellent.
Room on 29th floor was spacious, newly renovated, beautiful views, very quiet, 400 sq.ft., and large, marble bathroom full of amenities.
Unique elevator system. Minutes from restaurants, cable cars, taxis ,buses, and shops galore.
Want to feel special book a room at this Westin on Union Square.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for choosing the Westin St. Francis on Union Square and for taking the time to share your experience with us! I am so pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff, particularly one of our front desk associates, Dustin, to be extremely helpful. I will be sure to share your kind compliments with Dustin and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a few times for business but chose it for a family vacation based on the location. It turned out to be a great choice. Our room was on the 27th floor of the newer building and the first elevator ride up was super exciting for the kids. The elevators are glass and are open to the outside of the building and they have a beautiful view of San Francisco.

Our room was clean and seemed to be relatively updated. The view was fantastic and room service was fast and the food was good compared to other room service that I have ordered. There is a little breakfast stand downstairs and we ate there every day as they had something for everyone, including the kids. The location was ideal for us and very convenient.

My nits include: The elevator can be a little difficult to use because of the security and I found myself explaining how to use it to people. It really didn't completely stop non-guest tourists as they just tailgated with guests. The parking was really expensive as was the food and it is difficult to catch the cable car outside the hotel due to crowds (which is not the hotels fault). Bourbon Steak is one of my favorites but I skipped it because of the kids and I'm sure the other diners appreciated that.

But I would definitely stay here again- even with family.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Thank you for choosing the Westin St. Francis and for sharing your experience with us. I am happy to know you and your children were able to enjoy your time in San Francisco. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 20 August 2014

outstanding location, in the heart of san francisco, facing the union square tones of shopes, restaurants and cafes.

staff is very friendly and top trained in all levels. hotel has an old buiding and new tower, i tried both and i preferd the new tower. room in new tower more bigger than the old one, all rooms contains all you needs and the coffee machin using starbucks staff moreover there is a starbucks cafe in the lobby.

free safe and no one can using hotel elevators without the room card.

Room Tip: room in the old buidin is very small ( 13 m )
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for choosing the Westin St. Francis on Union Square. I am happy to know that you found our staff to be very friendly and top notch! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 20 August 2014

For the past ten or eleven Labor Day weekends we have visited San Francisco with great friends and, with the exception of two visits, have stayed in the Westin St. Francis on Union Square (I believe we are coming up on eight straight visits). Marichu Alvarez, a Lobby Host, has greeted us each time and she has made us feel like we are the only guests staying in the hotel! She asks about our husbands and where they will be golfing and then wants to make sure we have everything we will need to enjoy our stay. Every year we comment on how Marichu makes us feel like we are the most important people she knows. From the incredible welcome, to the beautiful, clean rooms with awesome views (we like the newer rooms), to the amazing pedicures and the outstanding service overall, the Westin St. Francis at Union Square is the only hotel I will stay at in San Francisco. In fact, we will be there again on August 28th and I can hardly wait!!!!!!

Room Tip: We like the rooms on the higher floors in the newer section, the newer section offers larger rooms a...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your loyalty to the Westin St. Francis! Thank you for your kind compliments of our hotel and staff, particularly our lobby ambassador, Marichu! I am so pleased to know that you enjoy returning to see us time and time again and we very much look forward to your next visit on the 28th of this month!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is my second time back. Service is outstanding. The rooms are amazing, old school charm and appeal. I love the atmosphere in the place. Booking this hotel is a no brainer you will be totally satisfied. We will definitely be coming back again. The only place I will stay when in San Fran.
If you are lucky enough to have Jason Sly check you in it will be your best check in experience ever, thanks Jason for your services and hospitality you are the reason why we will be coming back again and recommending your hotel to others.

Room Tip: Rooms facing south side
1  Thank dave S
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you for your loyalty to the Westin St. Francis! I am so happy to read your raving compliments of one of our front desk associates, Jason Sly! He is a wonderful asset to our team and we will be sure to share your kind words with him. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I had a four night stay at the end of July into August. The location is convenient to public transportation, walking to many location, the BART from the airport (state is two blocks away) and if you do one of the many tourist buses a stop is across the street from the hotel.

I stayed in the new tower and found that that the rooms were nice and had plenty of space, but did not have the uniqueness of some more trendy or boutique hotels. The elevators will only work if you have a key to insert and I like that extra security.

Supposedly the original tower rooms are smaller. I really enjoyed walking through the main hotel and reading about all of the history that has taken place here. Tours even come through to talk about the different events that happened at this hotel. The Clock Bar in the hotel is a nice lounge that is perfect for a drink before heading out for the evening or when you get back after dinner.

The people at the desk were very helpful as well as there was some confusion with my reservation when we arrived as it was booked as two different stays, but they made sure we didn't have to change rooms.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing the Westin St. Francis and for sharing your experience with us. I am happy to know that you enjoyed the location of our hotel, Clock Bar outlet and found our front desk associates to be very helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!